• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I just purchased my first bow (a Hoyt Charger) and I had the option of purchasing it as a kit. It came with the quiver, whisker biscuit, and a FUSE ProFire 3 Pin Sight.
    I got it sighted in and it seems to work well. My only concern is that I've been reading less than stellar reviews on this sight. Should I be concerned and upgrade, or should I just shoot with it until I learn the ropes?
    I am new to bows and still have a lot to learn but I want to learn on quality products.

Thanks.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I'd shoot it until you get comfortable and then go to a decent shop and talk with them about what you intend to do with it. Maybe even let hem watch you shoot.

Alternatively, you can go to a range and shoot with other bowmen and ask lots of questions. Then you make a much more informed decision.

Enjoy!

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I'd shoot it until you get comfortable and then go to a decent shop and talk with them about what you intend to do with it. Maybe even let hem watch you shoot.

Alternatively, you can go to a range and shoot with other bowmen and ask lots of questions. Then you make a much more informed decision.

Enjoy!

Thanks. That was my initial thought. Can you recommend some sights to compare when the time comes?

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Agreed.. a sight is a sight and a 3 pin is more than adequate around here for bowhunting. Assuming you sight the top pin at 20yds, you can easily shoot a 30 and 40 pin, most are not proficient enough to ever launch an arrow at a deer that far away and be assured of a kill.

As long as you can adjust it properly to sight it in and it holds the adjustment, you are really fine. There are a ton of 'bell and whistle' sights out there nowadays, but honestly, I hunted with a 3 brass pin sight, painted the ends of the pins white and used that for many years to kill plenty of whitetails back in my youth.. ;)

You can get into fiber-optics, which help gather light as on most sights today, heck, you can even get a tritium pin if you want, but by the time the light is too low for the fiber pins, it's probably not legal shooting time anymore anyway.. lol Many will accommodate an add on light, which I use on mine, as I often hunt from a blind and it is dark in there early morning and late evening..

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I've seen and had sights with three and five pins. I've got one that is adjustable based on distance. I've seen pendulum sights. In the end, I like one pin and fiber optic. I set it about 25 yards and aim higher or lower as needed. Less is more for me in bow hunting. Ounces become lbs pretty quickly. My first and still favorite bow is an Oneida Strike Eagle. Over 25 years old and still flinging aluminum at 300+ FPS. Heavy as hell. Accurate though.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Agreed.. a sight is a sight and a 3 pin is more than adequate around here for bowhunting. Assuming you sight the top pin at 20yds, you can easily shoot a 30 and 40 pin, most are not proficient enough to ever launch an arrow at a deer that far away and be assured of a kill.

As long as you can adjust it properly to sight it in and it holds the adjustment, you are really fine. There are a ton of 'bell and whistle' sights out there nowadays, but honestly, I hunted with a 3 brass pin sight, painted the ends of the pins white and used that for many years to kill plenty of whitetails back in my youth.. ;)

You can get into fiber-optics, which help gather light as on most sights today, heck, you can even get a tritium pin if you want, but by the time the light is too low for the fiber pins, it's probably not legal shooting time anymore anyway.. lol Many will accommodate an add on light, which I use on mine, as I often hunt from a blind and it is dark in there early morning and late evening..

I've seen and had sights with three and five pins. I've got one that is adjustable based on distance. I've seen pendulum sights. In the end, I like one pin and fiber optic. I set it about 25 yards and aim higher or lower as needed. Less is more for me in bow hunting. Ounces become lbs pretty quickly. My first and still favorite bow is an Oneida Strike Eagle. Over 25 years old and still flinging aluminum at 300+ FPS. Heavy as hell. Accurate though.

Thank you both. After doing a little more reading, it seems the bad reviews come from those who own 2-400 dollar sights. I think I'll learn on this one as it has been dead on with my 20 and 30 yard shots. 20 with the top pin and 30 with the middle pin. I have yet to sight in the bottom one for 40. Here is the one I have (3 pin model). Now I just need to get a light to lighten up those fiber optics. I've been shooting in my backyard and noticed that by the time I get home from work and practice, there isn't enough light coming through the Fibers. Thanks again.

Attachments

• profire-large.jpg
      profire-large.jpg
      30.9 KB · Views: 2,986

Josh Smith

Aug 10, 2010
    I shoot old school with an Oregon bow and those old crosshair-style sights, far behind what you have.

I have no trouble hitting what I'm shooting at out to 50 yards, which is where I have the last pin set. I have no doubt that I could go further should I want to.

I've also ruined a number of arrows by splitting them.

Remember, this is old-school equipment.

Draw length is about 29", weight is 60lbs, and velocity is 210fps. Arrows are 340 spine Beman, not trimmed, and carry 125 grain arrowheads.

Regards,

Josh

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I just purchased my first bow (a Hoyt Charger) and I had the option of purchasing it as a kit. It came with the quiver, whisker biscuit, and a FUSE ProFire 3 Pin Sight.
    I got it sighted in and it seems to work well. My only concern is that I've been reading less than stellar reviews on this sight. Should I be concerned and upgrade, or should I just shoot with it until I learn the ropes?
    I am new to bows and still have a lot to learn but I want to learn on quality products.

Thanks.

I'm a one pin moveable sight man myself but, think of this bow as training wheels. The more accustomed to it you get, the easier it will be to figure what you might need to change later down the road. Try to avoid any major changes in mid-season.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I'm a one pin moveable sight man myself but, think of this bow as training wheels. The more accustomed to it you get, the easier it will be to figure what you might need to change later down the road. Try to avoid any major changes in mid-season.

I definitely see this as a training bow, but also a bow I can shoot for years to come. I plan on hunting with it this season so I just want to be sure I have the proper equipment. So far, it's been great and shoots like a dream. Thanks for the input.

Praeger

Apr 7, 2014
    Howard County
    The Fuse sight is more than adequate until you develop a preference for something else. The whisker biscuit however, should be on your short list to replace. For rank novices or those who have no interest in fine tuning they are fine, but if you want to stretch it out past 30-40 yards I would recommend a better rest. Lots of target quality drop away rests and fixed prong rests. Both will allow fine tuning of center shot and rest elevation that a whisker biscuit simply can not provide.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    The Fuse sight is more than adequate until you develop a preference for something else. The whisker biscuit however, should be on your short list to replace. For rank novices or those who have no interest in fine tuning they are fine, but if you want to stretch it out past 30-40 yards I would recommend a better rest. Lots of target quality drop away rests and fixed prong rests. Both will allow fine tuning of center shot and rest elevation that a whisker biscuit simply can not provide.

Thanks. That's the plan for now. I'm going to hunt with it this season and learn the bow as is. I appreciate the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom