• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    Finally got off my lazy ass and signed up for a course so I can go hunting this season. Did the internet portion already and have the field day coming up. Anything I can expect or should know going in?

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    I just finished my Third class, (2 in the last 5 years). I take my kids and nephews, etc. and I go ahead and take it with them. The written test for the field day is easier than the online test.If you did well recently with the online test, no problem. The shooting qualification is usually a joke. I know it is setup for kids, but they could do better. The shooting qualification you take to hunt on WMA's in Md. is at least realistic, they should give that same test for all. It's kind of sad how the testing goes in Md., there is a lot of political correctness being taught such as "Don't wear camo around non-hunting public" and don't refer to a firearm or bow as a "weapon" and don't use the word "Kill" use "Harvest" instead. I realize this is needed in today's world, but for younger hunters they should spend more time teaching them to handle a firearm and shoot well enough to make a clean humane shot, they will figure out political correctness as they grow older.
    Anyway, don't worry you will be fine.

Sonofagun

Mar 8, 2011
    Montgomery Co.
    Remember the different ways to carry a gun in the field, what to do w/ the gun when you come to an obstacle (ie. fence, climbing a tree, etc.) and how to load/unload the different types of actions that you would encounter w/ different hunting guns.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I just finished my Third class, (2 in the last 5 years). I take my kids and nephews, etc. and I go ahead and take it with them. The written test for the field day is easier than the online test.If you did well recently with the online test, no problem. The shooting qualification is usually a joke. I know it is setup for kids, but they could do better. The shooting qualification you take to hunt on WMA's in Md. is at least realistic, they should give that same test for all. It's kind of sad how the testing goes in Md., there is a lot of political correctness being taught such as "Don't wear camo around non-hunting public" and don't refer to a firearm or bow as a "weapon" and don't use the word "Kill" use "Harvest" instead. I realize this is needed in today's world, but for younger hunters they should spend more time teaching them to handle a firearm and shoot well enough to make a clean humane shot, they will figure out political correctness as they grow older.
    Anyway, don't worry you will be fine.

they also ask some bow questions too
    q

The PC stuff is to keep the majority of MD voters in the dark enough to not vote our sport out of existance. The primary function of the shooting part is to show that you can safely load and fire a firearm not qualify for Camp Perry. They teach that it is the duty of every hunter to humanely harvest God's creatures not just Blow Stuff Away. It is the individual responsability of every hunter to develop their abilities with their chosen tool to humanely harvest their chosen prey and with the huge selection of firearms,bows,traps etc there is no way to cover it all so they give you the basic tools to allow you to learn and practice safely. When it comes to the W word a weapon connotes an implement of violence. Is it wrong to promote the shooting sports as a non violent activity? Shooting skeet or paper targets is generally less violent than golf where you really are clubbing things and hunting is the humane harvest of God's creatures to maintain a sustainable population to prevent disease and car accidents. I used to think it was all PC BS but when you look at how restricted we are now in MD do YOU want to go around giving them excuses to screw us all?

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    q

The PC stuff is to keep the majority of MD voters in the dark enough to not vote our sport out of existance. The primary function of the shooting part is to show that you can safely load and fire a firearm not qualify for Camp Perry. They teach that it is the duty of every hunter to humanely harvest God's creatures not just Blow Stuff Away. It is the individual responsability of every hunter to develop their abilities with their chosen tool to humanely harvest their chosen prey and with the huge selection of firearms,bows,traps etc there is no way to cover it all so they give you the basic tools to allow you to learn and practice safely. When it comes to the W word a weapon connotes an implement of violence. Is it wrong to promote the shooting sports as a non violent activity? Shooting skeet or paper targets is generally less violent than golf where you really are clubbing things and hunting is the humane harvest of God's creatures to maintain a sustainable population to prevent disease and car accidents. I used to think it was all PC BS but when you look at how restricted we are now in MD do YOU want to go around giving them excuses to screw us all?

There is a big difference between "Shooting Sport" and Hunting. The act of Hunting makes a firearm a "Weapon", whereas a firearm is a tool in skeet shooting. As far as letting the hunter develop their shooting skills as they go,that is like lowering the drivers license requirement to just starting the car and shutting it off. I don't think 3 of 5 shots in a 12" circle at 40 yards is too harsh. It is not "Camp Perry" demanding. In my opinion, the reality is just like most other government run programs, it is not about the quality of the program but selling as many licenses as possible to make a dollar. I don't believe a free society should have to kiss each others ass to keep our rights.If Maryland wants to ban Hunting or guns because some people don't like it,then to Hell with em, I'll move to Pa.or Va., the hunting is better there anyway!

jkray

Jul 13, 2011
    Germantown
    If I lived in another state and held a hunting license in that state then moved to MD do I still need to take the MD hunters safety course?

The PC stuff is to keep the majority of MD voters in the dark enough to not vote our sport out of existance. The primary function of the shooting part is to show that you can safely load and fire a firearm not qualify for Camp Perry. They teach that it is the duty of every hunter to humanely harvest God's creatures not just Blow Stuff Away. It is the individual responsability of every hunter to develop their abilities with their chosen tool to humanely harvest their chosen prey . . .
    Very well put, espeically the humane part.

I investigated getting a hunting license in NJ. A friend has property there and the herd needs thinning (with a bow). NJ advises hunters transporting carcasses to the processor to stick the deer's tongue back in, and load it so that the field dressing cut is not visible. All PC, but it has its purpose.

Kimerazor

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2011
    "FEE state"
    The shooting qualification is usually a joke. I know it is setup for kids, but they could do better.

We're not teaching marksmanship. We're testing their ability to safely handle & shoot a firearm.

...there is a lot of political correctness being taught such as "Don't wear camo around non-hunting public" and don't refer to a firearm or bow as a "weapon" and don't use the word "Kill" use "Harvest" instead.[/QUOTE]

It is a firearm, not a weapon. A weapon can be a knife, sword, etc. We are clear when we teach.

We always say "kill" in our classes.

Camo ... never heard that one before.

... for younger hunters they should spend more time teaching them to handle a firearm...[/QUOTE]
    YES...see above.

and shoot well enough to make a clean humane shot,[/QUOTE]
    ...NO, their parents or other instruction ...insert here.

jcov79

Oct 26, 2011
    Silver Spring
    Do you have to do this if you moved here from a state that doesn't require hunter ed classes? Montana never required one until 2003, and I was born before the cutoff. I never took one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom