• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chasbo00

Jun 30, 2012
    Northern VA
    I love shooting falling steel. Received the below good news info in an email:

PNTC Super Steel Matches Are Here. Inaugural Matches Sat Aug 1 & Sun Aug 2nd.

Monthly Super Steel Matches On The 4th Saturday of Each Month Beginning Sat Aug 29th

For the past several years shooters have requested that pntc holds falling steel matches with very high round counts and with varying degrees of difficulty. While we would have loved to do this prior to now we just did not have the steel and resources to make this a reality.

With our recent agreement and sponsorship through MGM Targets the steel target problem is now a thing of the past.

Beginning during the 3Gun Nation Regional Match on August 1st and Aug 2nd we'll kick off the "PNTC Super Steel" matches.
    There will be 4 matches for you to shoot in during the Aug 1st & Aug 2nd weekend. These matches are open to all safe and responsible shooters!

Match Description
    This is a very high round count falling and static steel match with 5 stages and a minimum of 40-50 shots per stage. BRING A MINIMUM OF 250 Rounds!

Either handgun or shotgun may be used. There is no shooting organization affiliated with this match and scoring is time plus penalties. Each stage will have a par time.

Moving forward (next match Sat Aug 29th) the PNTC Super Steel Match will be the 4th Saturday of each with AM & PM squads.

You will be amazed at the HUGE investment in target systems from MGM we are bringing into this special match for you. You'll shoot a hoard of steel including propeller pate racks, whirly gigs, a fleet of poppers, knock offs, US Poppers, Special Plate Racks, dueling trees and other steel to make this a great monthly match you won't want to miss.

NOTE: If you are going to shoot single stack etc BE SURE TO BRING LOTS OF MAGAZINES!

We are holding this initial match during the 3Gun Nation Regional match so that a variety of shooters can shoot the this great steel match and spectate the 3Gun nation event. 3Gun nation shooters can also shoot the Super Steel match and the 3Gun nation match as we are offering this match with AM & PM Squads on Saturday August 1st and Sunday August 2nd!

Cost is $35 for PNTC Members $45 For Non-Members
    Everyone pays the member rate online to register. Non-members pay the difference at the door.

General match, with the following divisions:
    Open, Limited, Production, Single Stack, Revolver, Tactical Shotgun, Open Shotgun

Registration is via Practiscore. For example, the August 1st AM Squads:

https://clubs.practiscore.com/aug-1st-pntc-super-steel-sat-am/register

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    you beat me to posting this! i plan on doing saturday am and also pm, this should be a lotta fun.

also check out peacemaker's website as they have a night 3gun match coming up, something totally different. and of course anyone can sign up for the regional 3 gun event.

for those that don't know, peacemaker is about half an hour north of winchester and maybe an hour west of frederick, right off of I-81 at the Inwood exit then about 15 minutes west.

Chasbo00

Jun 30, 2012
    Northern VA
    I'm shooting Sat PM Dave. This makes the third all-steel monthly match within driving range for me (Black Creek near Richmond and North Mountain near Strasburg are the other two).

Looking forward to seeing what Peacemaker's all-steel match looks like.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'm shooting Sat PM Dave. This makes the third all-steel monthly match within driving range for me (Black Creek near Richmond and North Mountain near Strasburg are the other two).

Looking forward to seeing what Peacemaker's all-steel match looks like.

Quantico Shooting Club holds a Steel Challenge match every third Saturday of the month. http://www.quanticoshootingclub.com/calendar.php

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Hopefully this will be the first match I do after my cataract surgery on my dominant eye coming up this Thursday. However I am committed to the full 8 stage Steel Challenge match on Sunday 8/2 at Fredericksburg so I will have to shoot Saturday only. Might be a good match to shoot my Open div. Glock 34.
    Does that mean that PNTC will not be holding the Steel Challenge match on Aug. 1?

Ok I signed up to shoot Open div in the AM and Limited in the PM. That allows me to use a single Glock 34 and holster and change slides/barrel/optics assemblies between squads. Different ammo for each.
    What they should do is limit mags to 10 rounds per like the PSA Shootout. Or they need to police everyone so that they are using legals mags for their class (even though no organizational tie in). Otherwise it is run what you got. Biggest Glock mags I have are 2 23s and 3 20s, all legal in Limited.

Chasbo00

Jun 30, 2012
    Northern VA
    Quantico Shooting Club holds a Steel Challenge match every third Saturday of the month. http://www.quanticoshootingclub.com/calendar.php

Thanks. I was not aware of this match at Quantico. Steel Challenge is all static steel though - isn't it? I'm asking as I've not shot Steel Challenge before. Falling steel has always been the draw for me, but I don't mind some static steel mixed in.

It's way past time for me to give Steel Challenge a try even if it is all static steel, and Quantico is just a short drive for me. Thanks again for letting me know about this match.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks. I was not aware of this match at Quantico. Steel Challenge is all static steel though - isn't it? I'm asking as I've not shot Steel Challenge before. Falling steel has always been the draw for me, but I don't mind some static steel mixed in.

It's way past time for me to give Steel Challenge a try even if it is all static steel, and Quantico is just a short drive for me. Thanks again for letting me know about this match.

No problem. I'm tempted to bring one of my CAS guns for this, but I'm taking my newish SP-01 to shoot this one.

730dc

Mar 11, 2013
    45 bucks for a half day match is a hard sell. I'll keep it in mind for 4th weekends, though.

Ill most likely try it later in the fall but I'm with you .2 X ... for that price I hope pntc employees will be resetting the targets. It just a monthly club match right no money or prize table correct. $25 is about my max in less it's a bigger match and or a prize table where I may get something to sell and recoup match fee

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    45 bucks for a half day match is a hard sell. I'll keep it in mind for 4th weekends, though.
    Well its about 1/2 the price per gun at the PSA Shootout with about the same number of targets. The only difference is you are not paying extra for the money for the cash payout which most won't get any part of anyway. Having shot the PSA Shootout for several years the price seems about right to me.

aaron.foulk

Feb 16, 2013
    Well its about 1/2 the price per gun at the PSA Shootout with about the same number of targets. The only difference is you are not paying extra for the money for the cash payout which most won't get any part of anyway. Having shot the PSA Shootout for several years the price seems about right to me.

When did 45 become half of 50?

$45 is also more than double most competitors rate for a monthly half day USPSA, IDPA or steel match.

I'll reserve judgement on the 40-50 round minimum stages, but that seems a bit much. I don't think it really adds any value to have stages that large.

Good luck, but this seems like it's going to be a sparsely attended match with mostly club members in attendance due to the silly pricing.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    I just checked PSA Shootout and they upped their price to $60 for the first gun for next year. They have 6 stages roughly 30 steel/stage so 180 targets. Peacemaker above is saying 200 minimum (five stages with 40+) so a little more shooting for a little less coin. Plus a lot of folks that shoot there are members so paying $35.

If any of Peacemaker's stages include some movement (a la USPSA) that (in my opinion) will be a nice upside over PSA and offer some variety. Plus I heard talk of a polish plate rack which PSA did away with (lots of time to shoot and reset, but fun as heck).

I'm definitely looking forward to this and have three buds with an informal bet ready to see who can mow it all down the fastest. Hopefully everyone else above will also join in the fun!

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I am doing AM and PM on Saturday. Could not wait to get a first match in after lens replacement in dominant eye. So two days after surgery and one day after getting approval to drive again I shot the bowling pin match at MPC. Shot a 3 run average of 2.71s to win Open 22 and 4.13s to win Stock 22. 2.71s is my personal best ever and the fastest run of 2.56s is also a personal record. Mike S. beat that with a 2.42s best run but I out averaged him 2.71s to 2.77s.
    Left eye lens will be replaced in mid-August. Looking forward to the Aug. 1-2 matches at Peacemaker and Fredericksburg.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia

Think about the Fredericksburg Steel Challenge on August 2. You get to shoot all 8 Steel Challenge stages there instead of a subset of 4-6 of them like Quantico or Peacemaker. Plus if we are lucky Todd Jarrett will shoot the match again and you can see how a pro shoots it.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    just a reminder, this really looks like fun and I'm looking forward to it. weather looks HOT but rain-free.

and I guess Fredericksburg cancelled their sunday steel challenge match for lack of signup.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Had to cancel my PM slot. Bought an Audi S4 yesterday and need to pick it up on Saturday afternoon with my buddy Mike not to mention my work needed me to do some hours on Saturday also. Won't be getting much sleep before the match. Will be there for AM still shooting my open Glock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom