• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hungryjoseph

Apr 23, 2013
    I have this weekend free and was wondering if anyone could let me use their riveting jig and drill press. I need to drill the trunnion holes (front and rear), and rivet the front trunnion and trigger guard in. I can do the rest myself. I can compensate with beer/chicken/food/chicken/cash.

Striknine

Jan 19, 2013
    Great job man, looks awesome. Now I wanna get one of those rear sights for my next build.
    We're you able to shoot it yet?

hungryjoseph

Apr 23, 2013
    Hah, my phone camera sucks so I will have to snap one when I get the GF's camera.

Great job man, looks awesome. Now I wanna get one of those rear sights for my next build.
    We're you able to shoot it yet?

Yeah, shoots great, put 3 mags through it. I didn't have to re-zero the irons. The red-dot took a couple adjustments because I remounted it.

hungryjoseph

Apr 23, 2013
    fruits of our labor

Attachments

• ak3.jpg
      ak3.jpg
      58.4 KB · Views: 337

offroaD

Jun 1, 2011
    So I just found out I can build my pre ban receiver into a rifle. Anyone in the mood to help me build it in a couple months? I was going to order a parts kit, but as I understand it you need to remove the barrel in order to rivet the trunion and I don't have the expertise to headspace the barrel. Plus I don't have the tools or the press. But I'm considering using bolts instead of rivets.

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    first....please don't use "bolts".

second....where are you? plenty of members on this board with the proper tooling willing to help you build it the right way.

offroaD

Jun 1, 2011
    I live in moco but I'm willing to travel if someone knows what they're doing. My next question is that I have a nodak lower that is fully prepared. To make it match something like a way t Germany or polish parts kit should I have it parkerized or painted? What's the standard finish on AKs?

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    Oh, I am not a fan of the pre headspaced. I've done two and don't like having to clock the barrel perfectly. Of course I may be too picky about it and there may be a trick I don't know

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    I live in moco but I'm willing to travel if someone knows what they're doing. My next question is that I have a nodak lower that is fully prepared. To make it match something like a way t Germany or polish parts kit should I have it parkerized or painted? What's the standard finish on AKs?

AKs don't have a lower, because there's no such thing as an AK upper. The nomenclature is not the same as the AR-15. AKs just have a receiver. :)

Best method is to assemble, blast, parkerize, and then duracoat, molyresin, or cerakote. Cerakote is the least....offensive when curing in the oven. The molyresin can stank like no other. Duracoat is an air-cure, but you want to give it at least a good 72 hours untouched after spraying to cure (although giving it a week or more is even better).

All are excellent finishes.

As foodpoison mentioned, I'm not too far from him and between the two of us you could probably get a build done pretty quickly. There's another member here with refinishing gear, but I won't speak up for him as I don't know what his schedule looks like; he may be out of town for a while.

Which brings us to my schedule....I have PCS orders to Texas, so I'm afraid all I'll be able to do is coach and cheer from the internets. Won't be able to go hands-on this go-round, sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom