• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Petar

Nov 18, 2010
    Foundational Change.

IMO...

He's putting pieces in place to minimize pushback, and smooth the process when it does happen.

I got smacked for saying this before the Inaugural, but I firmly believe that, at soonest, we'll be looking at this time next year. More likely after session 2017, though.

In any case, it will require smart pressure on the GA from the public, as well as finding ways to 'normalize' carry. The changes at the HPRB, and in MSP, are steps to that end, but more will be needed.

It's happening, even though we don't see a lot of it. Plus, it's not really been a 'normal' first 9 months on office.

or..., maybe when we re-elect him to his second term :rolleyes:

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Also wondering what, exactly, people expected to happen in this time frame following his election? Did you think he was going to snap his fingers and you'd be carrying legally the next day?

The process of making sausage laws and policy is thoroughly grotesque. It isn't for the timid, weak-willed, or particularly for the impatient. Hogan's made legitimate, tangible strides toward getting the government out of our wallets and improving our state's economy. Sounds an awful lot like what he said he'd do following his election.

It's been nine months. He's got cancer, for fvck's sake. He's not emperor. He's a Republican governor in a state where Democrats outnumber Republicans 2:1.

Could we view our issues with at least a little perspective? Just saying.

But, please, let's hear more about how we shouldn't support him because (insert illogical reason here).

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Also wondering what, exactly, people expected to happen in this time frame following his election? Did you think he was going to snap his fingers and you'd be carrying legally the next day?

The process of making sausage laws and policy is thoroughly grotesque. It isn't for the timid, weak-willed, or particularly for the impatient. Hogan's made legitimate, tangible strides toward getting the government out of our wallets and improving our state's economy. Sounds an awful lot like what he said he'd do following his election.

It's been nine months. He's got cancer, for fvck's sake. He's not emperor. He's a Republican governor in a state where Democrats outnumber Republicans 2:1.

But, please, let's hear more about how we shouldn't support him because (insert illogical reason here).
    Please stop making sense.

We've been buffaloed and there will be Hell Hades to pay, Mmmmmhmmmm.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Obviously the wave of a wand and the immediate change of all that is criminal and all that is anti-2A would have been wonderful and welcomed, but I believe he and his advisors know how to tackle this issue in a way that will make it more sustainable. The MSP licensing commander has been replaced. Dalaine Brady is no longer the acting commander. With this change, I am betting some of the more combative members in that unit will either change their tune or be reassigned.

screen_shot_2015-09-16_at_11.33.16_pm.png

We HAVE seen changes in a positive direction. Not to the speed I or anyone else would like, but it is moving in the right direction.

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    I get mailers asking to support his campaign. I'm not inclined unless he does something positive for the 2A. Anyone have an opinion on whether I should still support him financially.

From what I have seen, he still has a good bit of money coming in from unlikely sources...he probably doesn't need yours....not really sure why he needs it anyway.....not likely he will see a second term.....

These threads always turn into some great entertainment though with all the tin hat theories and straw grasping.....everything becomes construed as that step in the right direction......:lol2:

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I don't get on here as much as I used to but I swear the message to all of us was that Hogan was on our side regarding reforming the "good & substantial" clause for concealed carry. Word was he would strike that clause after the general assembly finished up in year one.

Not sure where you heard that, but only the GA can strike any part of a state statute from the law.

He would appoint a CC friendly State Police superintendent. We would have defacto shall-carry buy eliminating that G&S requirement and Hogan wouldn't need the general assembly to do it.

Again, not sure where you heard this, but it's basic middle school civics. The Executive branch (Governor) cannot change law, only the legislative branch can.

So, where is it??? Have I missed anything? Has the Governor spoken about this? If he can do this without a GA vote why hasn't he done this? Was he just telling us what we wanted to hear, or is there a plan to do this at some point. I love this Governor but I am more than a little disappointed at the lack of movement on this issue :mad54:

There has been movement, perhaps not at the speed some would like (over night, tomorrow, next week), but there has been movement. He did appoint a 2A friendly Secretary, who has been dealing with internal issues at his department, retirement of over 100 troopers in the past 2+ months), reorganizing sections under him, and he is finally getting to reorganizing the Licensing Section.

We are seeing movement, a new Licensing Division Commander, New licensing SOP, and new members on the HPRB.

What we need to see is the MSP pull back on the over reach of their authority granted to them by statute and COMAR on what they are permitted to ask for with regards to proving the need for personal protection (Which is a G&S reason).

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Isn't it within the Governor's power to alter the definition of Good & Substantial and simply add "self defense"?

I can't help but feel that Hogan was blowing the proverbial visible vapor up the proverbial anus during the election....

Self Defense has always been a G&S reason, MSP calls it personal protection, and it has been on their website in one form or another for 6+ years.

Please see the recently release MSP licensing division SOP under G&S, starting at the top of page 2 for "personal protection."

http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizati...essing of Handgun Permit Applications (1).pdf

The issue is MSPs over reach of their authority as granted by state statute and COMAR.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    Not sure where you heard that, but only the GA can strike any part of a state statute from the law.

Again, not sure where you heard this, but it's basic middle school civics. The Executive branch (Governor) cannot change law, only the legislative branch can.

There has been movement, perhaps not at the speed some would like (over night, tomorrow, next week), but there has been movement. He did appoint a 2A friendly Secretary, who has been dealing with internal issues at his department, retirement of over 100 troopers in the past 2+ months), reorganizing sections under him, and he is finally getting to reorganizing the Licensing Section.

We are seeing movement, a new Licensing Division Commander, New licensing SOP, and new members on the HPRB.

What we need to see is the MSP pull back on the over reach of their authority granted to them by statute and COMAR on what they are permitted to ask for with regards to proving the need for personal protection (Which is a G&S reason).

I misspoke initially, I didn't mean Hogan should drop the G&S clause, I meant that he would change the interpretation of G&S to include self defense without any history of threats, attacks, etc. My impression is this interpretation of G&S is made by the Superintendent of the State Police and since they serve at the will of the Governor, he could appoint someone who would follow this approach. It is, or at least was, implied that this could be done without General Assembly approval since the law would not be changed, just the interpretation.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I misspoke initially, I didn't mean Hogan should drop the G&S clause, I meant that he would change the interpretation of G&S to include self defense without any history of threats, attacks, etc. My impression is this interpretation of G&S is made by the Superintendent of the State Police and since they serve at the will of the Governor, he could appoint someone who would follow this approach. It is, or at least was, implied that this could be done without General Assembly approval since the law would not be changed, just the interpretation.

A squirly young delegate sent a letter to the AG asking about this, and the AG shut this line down. It's possible if that letter hadn't been sent, it might be an option.

The best option now is continuing to work with the HPRB, they seem receptive to listening to logic, and have overturned some MSP denials.

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009

There is always movement....Licensing Division Commander come and go, the licensing SOP is reviewed and amended as needed annually and HPRB members only serve 3 year terms.

The process is always in state of change, doesn't mean it is good or bad...just change..wrong to mislead folks into believing anything else....

Mr H

Banana'd

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom