• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Seems to be getting worse. Purchased a long gun on Friday from one of our IPs and it was marked as delayed... went back to the shop Saturday... still delayed. Will see what happens today.

I don't mind waiting an extra 10 or 15 mins if something is flagged for further review, but when it turns a cash and carry purchase into a 3 or 5 day defacto waiting period... that just gets me mad. I hope that this isn't the start of a bad trend.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I have found that since we started to use eCheck as opposed to phoning in, we seem to get fewer "Delay" responses.

I don't know if it is the online system or our recent clientele, but there is a marked difference.

Sounds like they may be trying to steer more dealers into using the E-Check system, cuts down on overhead for them.

tomgreco

Ammo addict
    Sep 17, 2009
    Indian Head, MD
    triple digits in my NICS checks is probably a new "terrorist" profiling being done in Marylandistan. Considering anyone with over 1,000 rounds of ammo is considered a threat :sad20:, someone with 100 guns must be on all sorts of tin foil lists. <This crap with "delayed" NICS approvals really pisses me off...>

:tinfoil:

Over 1000 rounds gets me on ANOTHER list? ugh.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Tim of Military Arms Channel had this problem, personally. He tells you what to do about it.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    I wonder if the system is being overworked. I say this because everyone who comes onboard DoD installations is getting a NICS check before they are issued a pass. I deal with our pass office and it's become quite a burden both for our guests and the pass office. I would imagine the FBI gives DoD head of the line over FFL's (be that right or wrong.)

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Seems to be getting worse. Purchased a long gun on Friday from one of our IPs and it was marked as delayed... went back to the shop Saturday... still delayed. Will see what happens today.

I don't mind waiting an extra 10 or 15 mins if something is flagged for further review, but when it turns a cash and carry purchase into a 3 or 5 day defacto waiting period... that just gets me mad. I hope that this isn't the start of a bad trend.

I've experienced the exact opposite recently. I bought a firearm from John Lowe and he called it in, and of course with a name like James Smith, I was delayed. However, he was able to complete the transaction within 2 minutes. Gotta be one of the fastest times I've had being approved.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    The last time I had something transferred in the hold time was extremely long. And then I was put off for further review and finally OK'd after about 15 minutes.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Got a call last night that mine cleared (FBI/NICS gives itself three business days to clear up delays, so technically it was just one... although it was three calendar days). Will pick up the new toy this evening... but will be interesting to see if this happens again on my next purchase.

plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon
    I have a prohibited cousin in New Jersey same first and last name, same middle initial. If I use my SS# I sail through, if not I get delayed.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Michael Bloomturd's wish list from a few years back. Some of these are already being done....
    - Ban "default proceed" sales of guns without due process to anyone placed on hold or delayed during a NICS background check.
    - Ban the sale of guns without due process to millions of Americans on secret government "watch lists".
    - Undercover criminal enforcement operations at gun shows.
    - Ban importation of "non sporting" (semi automatic) rifles, shotguns, and handguns.
    - Require REAL-ID(microchip) identification AKA gun licensing and registration for all gun buyers...in addition to national REAL-ID state issued ID cards.
    - Maintain NICS records for 20 years.
    - Increase funding to generate tips from the community on illegal guns.
    - If someone fails a NICS background check for whatever reason, make it a priority for local state and national law enforcement to investigate and prosecute.
    SOURCE:
    "A Blueprint for Federal Action on Illegal Guns: Regulation, Enforcement, and Best Practices to Combat Illegal Gun Trafficking"
    By Michael Bloomberg's group "Mayors Against Illegal Guns"
    August 2009

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    The explanation may be as simple as the fact that the bureaucracy has taken hits for having incomplete data and allowing prohibited people to "legally" purchase a firearm. They are giving the appearance of doing their due diligence by digging deeper into what is still an incomplete data base. It's all eyewash of course, but for liberals it's the intention that counts.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I've balked in the past at using my SSN, just because I don't want to put it on anything that isn't necessary... but I actually used it this time. Apparently it didn't help.

I couldn't imagine how long of a wait I would have if I didn't use my SS#. Wouldn't want to try it.

Turtle Man

Mar 17, 2013

The same thing happened to me just tonight when purchasing a long gun. Filled out the NICS form including my SSN and chatted with the owner's wife while it was called in. Next thing I know, "sorry, your background check has been delayed for 7 days". SEVEN days? What the hell?

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I couldn't imagine how long of a wait I would have if I didn't use my SS#. Wouldn't want to try it.

lol, yep.

I don't know that I have a common name, especially if you include the suffix, but Iv'e always included my ssn and never had an issue with a nics call.

BradyWarrior

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 13, 2014
    Maryland
    It's also important to note that NICS has never in its history been as busy as it has for the last six months. My assumption is that if a record requires any level of human involvement the proceed notice will be delayed...not for 15 minutes or 1/2 an hour...but for a day or two. Combine the record transaction volume with increased political scrutiny of NICS, and you are guaranteed to have some delays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom