• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • juan_galto

This is my user title
    Oct 23, 2011
    Thoughts on how to store pre-2013 firearms while on a multi-year position? (If this happens, dependents would be coming with, I couldn't bring firearms, and out-of-state family would require an FFL.)

Would I be hosed?

jrwhitt

May 27, 2012
    Put firearms in locked container that your out of state family do NOT have access to the contents. Then you are retaining ownership/control and just storing the container with the family

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Storage locker would be fine. Just keep up on the monthly payments and find a unit with electric to use dryer rods.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    When you come back don't live in Maryland! In most of the true US of A October 1st, 2013 was just another normal day, it did not mean anything special.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    NO, you can put non-NFA items in a trust, with or without NFA items. Some attorneys recommend against putting non-NFA and NFA items in the same trust for various reasons, but that does not prevent you from doing so.

Not sure how the law would handle "loaning" the firearms to an out of state relative. Loans are not a transfer.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Perhaps the OP thinks he needs an FFL because the relatives are in a totalitarian state like NY or 3000 miles away and he doesn't have the time or inclination to deliver them in person.

There can be problems with family, failed marriages, drug addict brother in laws, showing the guns off to untrustworthy friends etc. A trust isn't going to help with any of that.

Then there is the problem of safe and dry storage, for years.

I am not sure that this type of loan is on the radar screen of any but a very few states. If it were maybe they could do something about the boxes of crap from my millennial sons that are in my basement "on loan"

juan_galto

This is my user title
    Oct 23, 2011
    Perhaps the OP thinks he needs an FFL because the relatives are in a totalitarian state like NY or 3000 miles away and he doesn't have the time or inclination to deliver them in person...

I am not sure that this type of loan is on the radar screen of any but a very few states. If it were maybe they could do something about the boxes of crap from my millennial sons that are in my basement "on loan"

The newly passed firearms laws in Washington state, where my family is, require a transfer. When I come back (if I in fact get the gig), I'd have to transfer them back. I'm guessing this would invalidate the pre-2013 grandfathering of several of my firearms.

In all candor, can you store them with Bart_man.

If you trust him enough, just let him hold them until you return.

Bart is good peeps, and I'd trust him with my firearms. However, wouldn't this essentially constitute a transfer?

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Just remember that the long arm of Maryland will attempt to tax your oversees income as long as your US residence is here.

You should contact a tax person.

juan_galto

This is my user title
    Oct 23, 2011
    No challenge there--we've been reluctant to buy a home in Maryland. We're hoping to land in another state after coming back but that's down the road.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    ....Bart is good peeps, and I'd trust him with my firearms. However, wouldn't this essentially constitute a transfer?
    I'm no mouthpiece, but I think that be nothing more than a very informal storage agreement. Instead of $1 pays first month's rent like at many self-storage places, you can recompense Bart with beverages. Or Snicker bars as the case may be.

moojersey

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sep 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    My advice...if all else fails I would just rent a storage unit and keep it paid a year in advance (if that is possible on your budget). Maybe do some research and get some high quality locks for it as well. Make sure the facility is reputable and monitored. Climate controlled with electric for dehumidifier(s) should keep your stuff in good condition. Prep them well for long term storage. Plenty of info around for that.

As stated above there could be a lot of problems with leaving high dollar items with family, outside of the law that you may want to consider. I had to kick my younger brother out earlier this year. I wasn't home when he cleared out and my $2,000+ tool box with tools went missing. Food for thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom