• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sling1

Provocative Interloper
    Nov 25, 2009
    Frederick
    I understand that replacing the FCG can help increase accuracy. Does it have to be converted to accomplish that? Are there any accuracy benefits with conversion beyond replacing the FCG?

I know, I know it's an AK. I'm assessing the benefits of conversion to explain to my financial planner/activities coordinator.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I understand that replacing the FCG can help increase accuracy. Does it have to be converted to accomplish that? Are there any accuracy benefits with conversion beyond replacing the FCG?

I know, I know it's an AK. I'm assessing the benefits of conversion to explain to my financial planner/activities coordinator.

Not much in a conversion can help accuracy beyond making improvements while converting.

For instance:

Many AK barrels have crooked threads, loose muzzle devices and bad crowns. When doing a conversion this can be corrected when you change out the FSB.

Many AK's feed poorly, this rough feeding causes bullets to have runout after chambering. If you polich the ramp and chamfer the barrel then feeding is improved and accuracy improves.

Factory AK trigers are terrible, and you wont see any accuracy improvement in a Tapco, ot Kvar FCG. To squeeze the accuracy out you should install a RSA AK trigger, they are VERY nice, and lend the gun to better consistency.

Many AK's have of center sights, this can also be corected when converting. Canted sights make sighting some guns in impossible.

The MAIN reason to convert a SAIGA to a regular AK is simply "Originality" and "Coolness", no one wants a neutered AK. But if you convert it you can make improvements along the way.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Convert it. You know you want to do it. You want me to get you a FCG and a stock for Christmas to go with that grip I gave you? Your better half can't complain if you are gifted the parts. YOU WILL CONVERT IT. :D

The Saiga's stock trigger pull with its extra linkage is so heavy and weird that I shot mine better with a new FCG moved forward. It doesn't improve mechanical accuracy but did help my practical accuracy.

And you know you want to use cheap AK mags with it, so let's make converting your gun the next priority when I'm up. Won't take more than a couple of hours.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    I don't know about the triggers in non converted rifles since I only have an sgl20, but I know the stock triggers on my saiga 12s have been the worst triggers I have ever felt. The tromix trigger I replaced it with is much better(Tromix Fcg is just a modified tapco g2).

Sling1

Provocative Interloper
    Nov 25, 2009
    Frederick
    Not much in a conversion can help accuracy beyond making improvements while converting.
    The MAIN reason to convert a SAIGA to a regular AK is simply "Originality" and "Coolness", no one wants a neutered AK. But if you convert it you can make improvements along the way.

Yep, got it.
    I am gonna start with the G2 and then move up to the RSA. I want to see if the $50 is worth it for the accuracy improvement. If all goes well the RSA may find a home in some other AKs.

Rob-
    Take it easy, I will covert it. Don't know if I I like the SAW grip and am considering wood furniture from Dinzag. It looks a little cheap but I like it better than plastic. We have other AK work do Sunday.

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    First time I've heard of the RSA trigger. Googlin around now, and hearing plenty of good stuff about them, and plenty of "it's not worth the price" from ARF-types. I'd like to hear more about the Red Star Arms trigger before I bought one. I've got a couple Saiga conversions on the horizon... :)

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    I need to do some stuff to mine to make 'em a little better if possible.

Chad, I fully expect you to not do any shooting on Sunday, instead devoting all your time to my AK's to help me figure out what to do.

:D

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    First time I've heard of the RSA trigger. Googlin around now, and hearing plenty of good stuff about them, and plenty of "it's not worth the price" from ARF-types. I'd like to hear more about the Red Star Arms trigger before I bought one. I've got a couple Saiga conversions on the horizon... :)

The RSA is the BEST AK trigger, bar none. Problem with the ARFcom experts is they dont know how to set up the trigger correctly and it malfunctions.

Ask armed ferret about my AK triggers. ;)

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    i want in on the next AK build dammit! lol is there going to be another?

Not unless I lose my main job, I really am going to go Dexter if I continue working with gunshop perople. Im just doing one build on the Dracos. If anyone needs any other AK work done I can do it at the same time. :)

randyho

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2009
    Not His Happy Place
    Yep, got it.
    I am gonna start with the G2 and then move up to the RSA. I want to see if the $50 is worth it for the accuracy improvement. If all goes well the RSA may find a home in some other AKs.
    ... Don't know if I I like the SAW grip and am considering wood furniture from Dinzag. It looks a little cheap but I like it better than plastic. We have other AK work do Sunday.

Just another data point. My G2 isn't as good as what came in my mak90. I'll be going RSA from now on. Not a fan of the saw grip that I put on mine, either. US Palm makes a nice one and mine will be getting them from now on. Last, ironwood designs makes nice furniture. Very happy with what they sent me.

Shop around, take your time, but definitely do convert it.

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    Not unless I lose my main job, I really am going to go Dexter if I continue working with gunshop perople. Im just doing one build on the Dracos. If anyone needs any other AK work done I can do it at the same time. :)

understood. dont' burn yourself out.

I have all the tooling for building on complete receivers....

if there's ever going to be a build party i'd be willing to get in on it. i'm clueless as to where to start so i'd need help. just something to think about.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Good to see you back from firearms limbo, comrade Ferret! I think there are several members who could probably use your AK experience.

Holepunch, if you don't want a hobby that will quickly consume all your free time and resources, don't start building AKs... :)

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    Good to see you back from firearms limbo, comrade Ferret! I think there are several members who could probably use your AK experience.

Holepunch, if you don't want a hobby that will quickly consume all your free time and resources, don't start building AKs... :)

hmmm.. you're not making this sound any less tempting :rolleyes:

ferrett OTOH is turning me off lol :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom