Question for the Revolver guys and gals.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010
    I have a few revolvers and they are all 6+" ;) Thinking about it the average is actually >8". The 6" GP100 is the baby of the family. 100% of what I do is target shoot w/ them as I've never shot anyone (and hope to keep that streak alive!) Even carrying a 4" GP100 is crazy. Its a tank!:) Longer barrels will have longer sight radius, more steady sight picture (less wobble), and less felt recoil. The mass out on the end really helps the latter two. A 2" snubby points faster but my paper targets and watermelons don't move fast enough for me to worry about that. Though I must admit I've thought about getting a 2" - the fireballs are epic:D

Buy what feels good to you and the one you 'want'. It'll be the one you want to shoot and keep, length be damned.

I don't plan on shooting anyone, just a snub and combat size revolver fan.

I have a model 15 in 6",4" and 2". I shoot the 2" just as good as the 6" go figure.

Ranger Tom

Jan 28, 2013
    Woodsboro MD
    I am looking to add a .357 revolver to my collection. I am pretty set on a Ruger GP100 or a S&W 686 in stainless with a 6" barrel. There has been a couple Rugers in the classified with 4" barrels, one blue and 1 stainless. Does the difference between 4" and 6" make much difference in shooting these?

I've got GP 100's with a 4" and 6" barrel.The 4" is my favorite, points faster and is easier to hold steady. The 6" seems to be more accurate at longer ranges (20+ yards).

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    686 over GP100 any day IMO, smoother, slimmer, better trigger, better grip. As far as barrel length, the 6 will add 2" sight radius, up to 200FPS, a steadier hold, less flip, and less recoil, 4" draws, points, and swings faster.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    I bought a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 recently, with a 4" barrel. It goes well with my S&W Model 66, also a 4". S&W is bringing the 66 back into production for the first time in many years. I have had mine for over 30 years. The Blackhawk is great, but the 66 is a classic.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Between the 4 or the 6 inch barrel, I'd take the 4. A 6 inch barrel makes for a nice looking gun, but it's fairly long. My pre 29 .44 magnum has a 6.5" barrel, and that's a pretty danged big gun.

Having said all of that, a nice old used S&W Model 27/28 or Model 19 would be ideal IMO.

Feb 28, 2013
    686 over GP100 any day IMO, smoother, slimmer, better trigger, better grip. As far as barrel length, the 6 will add 2" sight radius, up to 200FPS, a steadier hold, less flip, and less recoil, 4" draws, points, and swings faster.

I'm still not done being sore at S&W for that "Hillary hole" thing.

Walton Feep

Sep 29, 2012
    I have both a 4" and 2.5" 686-4 and a 6" 617. The 6" is fine for iron sights and targets but it doesn't balance as well as the 4". You have to work a lot more to keep the muzzle up if you shoot one-handed which I do often. The 4" is one of my favorite pistols to shoot. I did put a Burris FastFire III on it. The 686-4 2.5" with CT grips is really fun to shoot at 21'. No experience with Ruger revolvers.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Not the OPs cup of tea, but the SP101 2.5" barrel after about 50 rounds of factory .357 target ammo doing non static, shoot and move, drawing and one hand training the trigger and trigger guard starts to rub my index finger pretty good.

Bald Fat Guy

Oct 7, 2014
    Ok, I AM a revolver guy.

As a rough rule of thumb, 4in full underlug bbls will have a balance similar to a 6in with shrounded ejrctor rod ( sometimes aka half underlug). A 6in full underlug will have a more foreward weight balance. Which is "better" is a matter of personal preference, fondle and preferably shoot the various options to see if you have a preference. In theory a 6in will offer more velocity, but what with gun to gun differences I have had a "fast" 4in that slightly exceeded a "slow" (but very accurate) 6in.

Yes, in Md there is an aribtrary 6in minimum bbl length, but in our neighboring states it is a 4in minimum, and I do most of my handgun hunting there. Of course if deer or larger hunting is primary purpose, other cals are better. All a trade off of an all purpose revolver that also deer hunts in a pinch, or a big bore that require either more expensive or handloaded ammo for casual shooting.

Bald Fat Guy

Oct 7, 2014
    The management that did that sold the company for 10% of its previous valuization, that sounds like punishment.

Feb 28, 2013
    So you aren't made at the ownership or management since none of them work there anymore,

That, I didn't know. If you're right, then they all deserved to get shown the door.

But that's beside the point.

but at the company name, building, and products?

The feller a couple posts back said it's still going on. I kinda figured that.:tdown:

Now on the other hand, if they put out something in stainless with a VR barrel, I may be tempted to change my opinion.:innocent0

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    I own a number of revolvers and I shoot my 686+ 4" barrel as well as anything that I have. I also like the aesthetics of the 4" barrel. I have a pair of police turn in Mod 15s ,one 4", one 6"and they are the only ones that I can compare.
    I don't see much difference.
    I can hit a 3/4" paster at 7 yards with the 686 4" on a regular (50%) basis and I am happy with that.
    I don't own a GP 100, but it is on my list, I hear nothing but good about them. I would probably take a 3" or 4" barrel if I can find one when I am flush.
    Questions of carry, deer hunting, and target shooting I leave to those who do, but the 686 is one of my two go to handguns.
    DocAitch

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom