• ...and so much more!
  • EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    January 26, 2013
    PCUSA Proposes Stricter Gun Control as a Gospel Imperative

That was THEN, this is NOW ...

On Gun Violence Prevention—From the Presbytery of Hudson River.

Source: Presbytery Event: 221st General Assembly (2014)
    Committee: [09-07] Social Justice Issues

Sponsor: Hudson River Presbytery

Committee Recommendation
    On this Item, the Social Justice Issues Committee, acted as follows:
    Approve as Amended with Comments
    [Process Rationale: This text is an integration of Overtures 09-01 from the Presbytery of National Capital, and Commissioners’ Resolution 09-21 into Overture 09-07.]
    [Counted Vote - Committee]
    Affirmative: 61
    Negative: 5
    Abstaining: 0

Final Text:

Amend Recommendation 4 as follows: [Text to be deleted is shown with brackets and with a strike-through; text to be added or inserted is shown with brackets and with and underline.]
    “4. Direct the [Presbyterian Mission Agency to urge state and local Presbyterian leaders] [PC(USA) and its constituent parts to recommit itself to work with federal, state, and local legislators] to:
    “a. [Text remains unchanged.]
    “b. [Text remains unchanged.]
    “c. oppose ‘stand your ground’ and other legislation that may entitle gun owners to shoot before taking alternative measures (such as relying on law enforcement and/or other de-escalation techniques) in perceived defense of persons or property; [and]
    “d. oppose legislation designed to permit and encourage the carrying of weapons in all areas of life, including houses of worship, noting that those in possession of guns are four times more likely to experience gun violence[.][;]
    “[e. support legislation to require licensing, registration, and waiting periods to allow comprehensive background checks, and cooling-off periods;
    “[f. support legislation to close the ‘gun show loophole’ by requiring background checks for all gun buyers;
    “[g. support legislation to ban semiautomatic assault weapons, armor piercing handgun ammunition, and .50 caliber sniper rifles;
    “[h. support legislation to advocate for new technologies to aid law-enforcement agencies to trace crime guns and promote public safety;
    “[i. support legislation to raise the age for handgun ownership to the age of twenty-one;
    “[j. following the recommendation of the International Association of Chiefs of Police, support laws to ‘require judges and law enforcement to remove guns from situations of domestic violence, as well as from people whose adjudicated mental illness, drug use, or previous criminal record suggests the possibility of violence,’ and to increase police training in nonviolent proactive intervention;
    “[k. advocate that federal and state governments enact legislation to regulate ammunition, guided by Gun Violence Gospel Values, as approved by the 219th General Assembly (2010);
    “[l. Support the development, promotion, and use of ‘smart gun’ and ‘smart ammunition’ technologies that will help to prevent unintended and accidental shootings and aid law enforcement in reducing gun violence.]”

Martin Luther King is rolling over in his grave …

And, they didn’t even mention anything about mental illness or criminals. I guess all can be forgiven for human frailties, but those damn inanimate evil guns need to rot in hell.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Guess they can't read their own bibles.

Exodus, you shall not stand by the blood of another. Every interpretation of this I've seen says that calling the police is not enough.

Mr H

Banana'd
    This would, of course, require .gov to recognize that organized religion has a role in influencing the population, and also that .gov should not provide preference and/or influence regarding [a particular] religion...

hmmmm....

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    PCUSA is an odd offshoot of the Presbyterian Church. They don't do so well when it comes to following the gospel as we can see here. If you dig even further, you'll see they support a number of progressive agendas that don't follow Biblical teaching.
    I'm sure they mean well, sadly they need to read the manual....the Holy Bible.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    This would, of course, require .gov to recognize that organized religion has a role in influencing the population, and also that .gov should not provide preference and/or influence regarding [a particular] religion...

hmmmm....

They only do that when its teaching against what the government wants

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    One of the same reasons I left the ELCA. An individual church/congregation may be great, but when you give to that church, a portion of that goes to the denomination. I'm not going to provide funding for them to write and release political statements and positions (this extends beyone gun control).

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    One of the same reasons I left the ELCA. An individual church/congregation may be great, but when you give to that church, a portion of that goes to the denomination. I'm not going to provide funding for them to write and release political statements and positions (this extends beyone gun control).

I am sure its much more than you know.. good chance they are also violating federal law by providing unreported campaign support on an in kind basis.. glad that IRS is on the case ;)

Last edited:
    PCUSA is an odd offshoot of the Presbyterian Church. They don't do so well when it comes to following the gospel as we can see here. If you dig even further, you'll see they support a number of progressive agendas that don't follow Biblical teaching.
    I'm sure they mean well, sadly they need to read the manual....the Holy Bible.

Like a lot of protestant churches in the US, they've been leaning to the Progressive side to the point of flat out advocating (which bring them into question of church vs. political group). There is a big differences in Presbyterian churches, but PCUSA is one of the largest. There are a few pockets of "old school" Presbyterians - especially in the back country and a few around here that have reverends from Scotland. I went to a funeral at one and it was the only time I heard a fire-and-brimstone sermon as a eulogy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom