• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010
    Looking for a good holster that wont brake the bank to start 2 gun in the spring. I'll be using a Sig 226. Just needs some help from someone that has shot 2 gun or 3 gun.

Thanks, Keith.

ITAdam

Aug 30, 2014
    Carrol County
    I use a Blackhawk! Serpa, I wanted to make sure it was multipurpose so I like the single stage retention that it has as well as the adjustable retention and versatile mounting system. I tried the Forbus one first and I found that it was to tight to provide a quick pull (non adjustable). Most guys use the blade tech holsters though.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I've used Blackhawk's Serpa and it works well. I'd recommend that you do a lot of practice drawing with an empty pistol before hitting the competition so you have it down and also in a place on your belt that works for you.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Serpa has been my favorite with glocks but they don't make for 2011 so i'm using a bladeteck wrs that has a hood. definitely positive retention, but for me a little bulkier/clunkier and not as easy to use as the serpa. at the store i have tried a g code or two and those seem easier to use than WRS. Safariland also makes ALS i believe but haven't tried those. if they make a serpa for your gun i'd start with that.

Guderian

Mar 31, 2011
    I have a Safariland ALS and love it. That's what I would recommend. It's inexpensive, has good retention (level 1), it's easy to release the retention, and it will not mar your gun up like some kydex can do.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Some ranges dont allow Serpas. Bladetech is good and reasonably priced. I suggest you look at Comp Tac. Good stuff.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Safariland ALS is the best holster is the best holster for 2/3 gun. The way you hit the button squeezes your hand higher as you draw helping to draw with a good grip already established. It is just as fast as a 0 retention holster.

I love comp tac but they don't have any retention. They are my choice for USPSA but for 2/3 gun I don't want a chance of a sling pulling my pistol out and sending me home.

The WRS is good but if you start to draw before the hood fully rotates you will hang up.

The G-Code is a little faster getting the hood out of the way but it can still do hang up.

The way a serpa releases can aid in an ND. With good practice it shouldn't be a problem but you won't have that problem with an ALS.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Ditto on everything. For a belt I recommend either an tactical/operators belt or a 2 piece race belt. Holsters with some kind of retention are best. A few other things. Best cheap AR mag carrier is the FAB Defense. You will likely only need one as the #2 mag carrier because the mag #1 you should stuff in a pocket till you get to the start box (get yourself a good tough pair of cargo pants as the extra pockets come in handy). I use single adjustable pistol mag carriers for USPSA and 3-gun (at least in Open division because there are very few double mag pouches that fit STI mags) but double mag pouches for IDPA and likely for 2-gun. But that's up to you.

Tactical belt:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/3398875712/propper-720-heavy-duty-belt-1-1-2-aircraft-aluminum-buckle-nylon?cm_vc=ProductFinding

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Serpa has been my favorite with glocks but they don't make for 2011 so i'm using a bladeteck wrs that has a hood. definitely positive retention, but for me a little bulkier/clunkier and not as easy to use as the serpa. at the store i have tried a g code or two and those seem easier to use than WRS. Safariland also makes ALS i believe but haven't tried those. if they make a serpa for your gun i'd start with that.

I use a Serpa with my ParaOrdnance P16-40. I modified a standard 1911 holster to fit the gun, works great.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Yeah I am building a polymer frame P16-40 by converting my Israeli Bul M-5 in 9x23mm to a .40 by replacing the upper parts with a Para P16-40 slide and a Bul M-5 .40 bull barrel. That way I can go back to 9x23mm if I need to. I do not plan on stealing any parts from the M-5 slide assembly. Was planning on this for use in 3-gun but now with my knee issues it may just become my limited Steel Challenge gun.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Nothing for the leftys :(

eh those aren't the best for 2 or 3 gun anyways (but are super for uspsa and idpa where you're not running around with a gun in your holster). the way they get retention is to crank it tight which hinders the draw. with the serpa or blade tech WRS or similar, there is a retaining mechanism and once that is released the draw is super smooth and friction-free.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Been using comp-tac holster.. No issues.

Just make sure its snug fit that will not be to hard to draw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom