• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    That is pretty solid advice IMO.

Optics do make shooting more fun though, assuming they are good quality that hold zero and are suitable for the application.

I remember you buying a whole rack of receivers, pretty good idea. I won't be caught flat footed againl

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    The things I listed are functional improvements that have few is any negatives.

I don't think I disagreed with a one... just a matter of the money... I think I new person is better off looking to spend all he can on a nice platform. Then slowly and where needed, add useful accessories. I bought a Bushy M4 in 2005... I added some of those accssories... it back to the stock config now and will probably stay that way.

I forgot the most important upgrade to the AR, its good magazines. Bad magazines and insufficient lube are the 2 main causes for AR malfunctions. Buy good mags.

Sure crappy mags make the world suck. Not much a fan of plastic mags. What do you suggest?

Factory collapsible buttstocks break easier than a good aftermarket buttstock when doing a mortar type clearance drill. Collapsing the stock will help minimize this.

How often do you see the OP doing this? What stocks do you suggest?

Same goes for the ambi chargers, which are also made in non ambi applications. The charging handle is used to clear malfunctions, especially when the brass gets above the carrier. Its not just the ambi function, its the beefed construction which can prevent the retainer latch pin from walking or the stem from bending.

I have been thinking over the gas buster charger. Like that one?

Yeah I mean I guess if you are getting really bad jams. However the beefier it is the more it gets caught on stuff too. I kind of feel the original is Ambi enough. So my thought gets back to suppression.

Geiselle triggers work fine with a ramped 9mm AR. They wont work with non ramped 9mm bolts. They offer a better trigger pull with no reliability issues like other aftermarket triggers.

Ok good to know on the ramped bolt. I have been thinking about one of these for my M16. That said, to me its just an issue of cost for a new guy. $200 trigger (20-25% of gun price) vs. free fairly nice trigger included with the gun... Just don't see the value. However maybe the OP likes to target shoot... so maybe.

Yes, an AR will run with a worn action spring past 5K rounds. It can also ... a good thing.

Sure, so replace after 5K rounds. For a lot of people they will never shoot this many rounds...

Im not typing this to convince you that im right, you seem to have made up your mind. Im typing this to help others reading who are eager to learn.

Not true at all. Very open minded here. I guess my main point is that a lot of what you have there is nice for down the road. However as a newbie the likely hood that he would buy junk upgrades is high! He asked what you regretted and what to buy at the beginning. I just suggest a fairly stock gun at first. I am considering many of your upgrades now that I have been shooting the gun for a decade. I find most new shooters ready for their first AR build are not ready for $200 triggers. I could be wrong... However if we are going to suggest upgraded this or that, there is so much junk, we need to be more specific. I for one would say no magpul parts!

Theres lots of educated and experienced people on this board, and I still learn stuff from others, but youll be hard pressed to locate someone like me who is willing to share what I know about this particular gun.

Come on out to our MG show. We have two guys that have a display of over 40 different registered M16s. Been collecting since the gun came out. Not including their semi collections. You will find us all very helpful! ;) Maybe we can get you into some MGs and you can help us trick out our M16s! I need to decide on a stock to put on mine now... you don't happen to know any slightly under Milspec buffer tubes that would fit a M249 SAW stock do you?

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I remember you buying a whole rack of receivers, pretty good idea. I won't be caught flat footed againl

This is like buying gold!

The time to sell is the time to keep them... So what can you do with a rack full? Sell and make money? However the time to sell is the time they might get banned... so will you? You wind up keeping them until you die...

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    This is like buying gold!

The time to sell is the time to keep them... So what can you do with a rack full? Sell and make money? However the time to sell is the time they might get banned... so will you? You wind up keeping them until you die...

Sell half and you probably at least got your money back plus a bunch of receivers.

Butcher

May 3, 2005
    Owings Mills
    I still have two receivers from before the ban I need to build up. Definitely invest in extra receivers earlier next time. Also wouldn't have wasted money on EOTech. Aimpoint or bust for red dot sight

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I must have read your post incorrectly, my sincerest apologies. If you did happen to feel I had nothing to offer advice wise on the AR, I would take no offense.

I would love to hang with those MG guys, Im sure I would learn a thing or 2 from them.

The gas buster is an improvement durability wise IMO, it can make shooting more comfortable if you have a suppressor too. I have stopped using Gas Busters since I use adjustable gas. Its about the same price as a G.B. Charger, but you have to spend some trigger time with it to know what setting work with what ammo and suppressor combinations.

Honestly you cant get a better mag than a PMAG IMO. They are heads and tails better than a USGI magazine.

For stocks I stick to Magpul. They can be broken if abused, but the storage options are what draw me to them. Mortar clearance drills are a pretty common thing if you use steel cased ammo or remanufactured ammo. They will bust an inferior stock in short order. Milspec receiver extensions are also more durable compared to commercial extensions. They often break or bend at the threads on the commecrial ones if banged on a hard surface.

Im not sure about a smaller receiver extension for a SAW, that gun is not in my wheelhouse of expertise. I know of no available option for a smaller diameter unless one is custom cut/milled.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Honestly you cant get a better mag than a PMAG IMO. They are heads and tails better than a USGI magazine.

For stocks I stick to Magpul. They can be broken if abused, but the storage options are what draw me to them. Mortar clearance drills are a pretty common thing if you use steel cased ammo or remanufactured ammo. They will bust an inferior stock in short order. Milspec receiver extensions are also more durable compared to commercial extensions. They often break or bend at the threads on the commecrial ones if banged on a hard surface.

Matt doesn't believe in plastic.:D. Or air cooled guns. He's a 19th century technology kind of guy.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    I'd put a Geissele trigger in it from the beginning.

^^^^ This, world of difference and you can get their lower end SSA or bottom end ALG series and still have a much better trigger than a stock AR. I have 7 ARs and they all have Geiselle SSA, SSA-E or SSA-SE triggers and that includes the AR-10.

I have been thinking over the gas buster charger. Like that one?

Go over to US Rifle Teams in the Highpower section and find the DIY to make your own gas buster charger for the cost of some mold release and a tube of silicone.

As for the OP I'd decide before the build what stock you want as that affects other parts like the buffer and buffer tube. Some stocks like the Magpul UBR have their own buffer tube. Really think about ambi safeties, I loathe the things as they dig into my trigger hand. I like the Magpul grips that accept the storage inserts, just handy for little extra cash. For rails think real hard about the cheese grater effect quad rails are going to have, you can put ladder inserts in but it still isn't great or you can snap on Magpul covers but that increases the diameter and that may be too big for some hands. I'm also not fond of rails that have a full top rail and lots of cool looking slots (see cheese grater), I prefer something like the Wilson Trim rail or Troy Alpha rail (I run the Wilson as the Troy is too small for my hand).

Two of my ARs are A2 National Match rifles so they have "stock" A2 stocks, A2 grips and A2 handguards. They work just fine as iron sighted match guns. For fun and other use guns the accessories make the platform very versatile. Being part orangutan or as Mopar says Sasquatch I need longer stocks, the A2 could use another inch or two, so all my collapsible stocks have the thickest buttpads I can get just to extend the LOP.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Matt doesn't believe in plastic.:D. Or air cooled guns. He's a 19th century technology kind of guy.

USGI mags with the latest follower or latest Magpul follower then.

A USGI magazine gauge wouldn't hurt either. If he does not want to buy the gauge the Go spec for the Magazine lips are: .459
    The NO GO spec is: .477

PMAGS still kicks a an upgraded USGI magazines arse IMO.

The chamber and upper receiver area won't ever reach a temp hot enough to melt a pmag. They can be fully loaded without closed bolt seating issues, the body follower geometry is improved, and there are other improvements for duty use over a USGI mag but that isn't something were discussing.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    ^^^^ This, world of difference and you can get their lower end SSA or bottom end ALG series and still have a much better trigger than a stock AR. I have 7 ARs and they all have Geiselle SSA, SSA-E or SSA-SE triggers and that includes the AR-10.

I put a B-GRF in one of my guns recently. It pulls like a 2 stage and resets like a single stage. Very short pull, so great for rapid fire. The price is right. Under $180 at Brownells. It is a Brownells exclusive.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/triggers-parts/triggers/enhanced-triggers-prod67223.aspx

Feb 28, 2013
    I'm about to finally build my AR.

For those of you that have finished your rifles, is there any accessory you'd choose to install before finishing the build?

I plan on getting an enhanced trigger guard (Thanks to my sausage fingers), but are things like the BAD lever, or larger mag release really something to get?

Anything you guys regret buying (which is probably the better question)?
    Yeah, putting a Spikes Tactical launcher on my Bushy now that I found a place that sells Cobrays.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Sell half and you probably at least got your money back plus a bunch of receivers.

Yeah but will you? If you knew you could not buy anymore?

.... Also wouldn't have wasted money on EOTech. Aimpoint or bust for red dot sight

Man, could not disagree more! I love Eotechs. I had one on my AR and was completely bored at 100 yards. Everything I put the dot on I hit. For FA, that circle is great. I just don't like the single read dot. Aimpoint is just not that great if you ask me. ACOG would be nice but they are not cheap.

I must have read your post incorrectly, my sincerest apologies. If you did happen to feel I had nothing to offer advice wise on the AR, I would take no offense.

No Apology needed. Just having a good discussion. I am not wordsmith either... I know you know ARs, I value you advise on it.

I would love to hang with those MG guys, Im sure I would learn a thing or 2 from them.

Seriously man, come on out and see us on March 15. It will be worth your time. Bring some friends.

Just to show I am not stuck in my ways. I have a PMag in my small group of AR mags that I use now. One Beta, One Surefire 20rd, One 30rd Bushy, One 20rd bushy and one Pmag. I just added 3 Circle K mags. I am not one of those guys who buys a bunch of mags. I put a lot of wear on my mags and I can't say I have had good luck with plastic mags. We will see how it stands up.

I have nothing really against Magpul stocks. However if you ever got them muddy I think they would be a real PITA to clean. Just don't see an advantage over a stock stock. We usually just hold the release and back the other side of the charging handle against the table. Seems to work without to much force. I think we have only had the bag the stock once. We shoot a lot of steel case.

Im not sure about a smaller receiver extension for a SAW, that gun is not in my wheelhouse of expertise. I know of no available option for a smaller diameter unless one is custom cut/milled.

Yeah I know I am SOL here. For some reason the SAW buffer tube is a few thousands smaller. Just enough that the AR tube is just to tight to go down but just a RCH off.

Not entirely but if everything is equal, yes. The old tech will outlive must of the modern new crap. I can tell you this. Most plastic mags for the 10-22 are junk. Plastic mags for the M11 are junk. I have seen junky plastic Mini 14 and Ar mags. They have come along on plastic mags. However anyone shooting lots of 22 LR which have used plastic mags for a long time will tell you that they wear out faster. They break. I broken a Lage 40rd mag. Know how many Metal mags I have broken or worn out??? 0.... plus you can always fix a dent as you saw. You cant fix a crack.

We live in a world where everything is cheap and disposable. That also means cheap. I like stuff I can fix. Its always served me well. My Maxims are near 100 years old and still working 100%. You think any of these plastic MGs will be after 100 years?

...The chamber and upper receiver area won't ever reach a temp hot enough to melt a pmag. They can be fully loaded without closed bolt seating issues, the body follower geometry is improved, and there are other improvements for duty use over a USGI mag but that isn't something were discussing.

Yeah thats not usually what happens that kills plastic mags. Usually its the feed lips wear out. Or a round nose dives and take a chunk out of the front. Or you step on it and crack it.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Yeah but will you? If you knew you could not buy anymore?

Man, could not disagree more! I love Eotechs. I had one on my AR and was completely bored at 100 yards. Everything I put the dot on I hit. For FA, that circle is great. I just don't like the single read dot. Aimpoint is just not that great if you ask me. ACOG would be nice but they are not cheap.

No Apology needed. Just having a good discussion. I am not wordsmith either... I know you know ARs, I value you advise on it.

Seriously man, come on out and see us on March 15. It will be worth your time. Bring some friends.

Just to show I am not stuck in my ways. I have a PMag in my small group of AR mags that I use now. One Beta, One Surefire 20rd, One 30rd Bushy, One 20rd bushy and one Pmag. I just added 3 Circle K mags. I am not one of those guys who buys a bunch of mags. I put a lot of wear on my mags and I can't say I have had good luck with plastic mags. We will see how it stands up.

I have nothing really against Magpul stocks. However if you ever got them muddy I think they would be a real PITA to clean. Just don't see an advantage over a stock stock. We usually just hold the release and back the other side of the charging handle against the table. Seems to work without to much force. I think we have only had the bag the stock once. We shoot a lot of steel case.

Yeah I know I am SOL here. For some reason the SAW buffer tube is a few thousands smaller. Just enough that the AR tube is just to tight to go down but just a RCH off.

Not entirely but if everything is equal, yes. The old tech will outlive must of the modern new crap. I can tell you this. Most plastic mags for the 10-22 are junk. Plastic mags for the M11 are junk. I have seen junky plastic Mini 14 and Ar mags. They have come along on plastic mags. However anyone shooting lots of 22 LR which have used plastic mags for a long time will tell you that they wear out faster. They break. I broken a Lage 40rd mag. Know how many Metal mags I have broken or worn out??? 0.... plus you can always fix a dent as you saw. You cant fix a crack.

We live in a world where everything is cheap and disposable. That also means cheap. I like stuff I can fix. Its always served me well. My Maxims are near 100 years old and still working 100%. You think any of these plastic MGs will be after 100 years?

Yeah thats not usually what happens that kills plastic mags. Usually its the feed lips wear out. Or a round nose dives and take a chunk out of the front. Or you step on it and crack it.

You are correct about plastic and magazines they odnt have a good track record. Beyond Glock, FN P90, and AUG's, there has not been many factory polymer mags that have been very successful. Magpul does it right though. The do take abuse better than aluminum mags in general though.

You are correct about aluminum AR mags, they can be repaired. If you bust a plastic mag its busted. Magpul will replace a mag if you bust it though.

A also agree that metal will stand the test of time. Polymers do degrade over time and light colored and clear polymers are not as durable either.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Hm. I would have bought something reliable like BCM from the beginning. BCM gunfighter charging handle. I'm actually okay with a regular safety, though one of mine has an ambi. I wouldn't have got a pinned flash hider because now I want a suppressor (if you think you never will want one, you might be wrong years later).

I'm fine with a good BCM AR, optic, MBUIS, railed handguard, flashlight, MOE stock, MOE pistol grip, and nothing else.

I'd put a Geissele trigger in it from the beginning.

This. I have one in my scoped AR, but I actually am completely fine with the stock trigger in my carbine.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    You are correct about plastic and magazines they odnt have a good track record. Beyond Glock, FN P90, and AUG's, there has not been many factory polymer mags that have been very successful. Magpul does it right though. The do take abuse better than aluminum mags in general though.

You are correct about aluminum AR mags, they can be repaired. If you bust a plastic mag its busted. Magpul will replace a mag if you bust it though.

A also agree that metal will stand the test of time. Polymers do degrade over time and light colored and clear polymers are not as durable either.

For some reason I have noticed decreased reliability with 20 round magazines in either pmag or steel. Then again it could just be my rifle, but it shoots 30 rounders flawlessly. My RRA has a few issues with two specific mags that sometimes feed halfway in and crush the casing. I have no idea why.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    For some reason I have noticed decreased reliability with 20 round magazines in either pmag or steel. Then again it could just be my rifle, but it shoots 30 rounders flawlessly. My RRA has a few issues with two specific mags that sometimes feed halfway in and crush the casing. I have no idea why.

I love my old 20rd Pmags when I'm benched. Never had an issue from them. They are the straight (non-curved) style, which everyone has nightmares about. Work fine for me.

As for the old metal 20's, yes. I've had quite a few issues with those.:tdown:

OP, for building a new rifle, before I start, I think of what the intended purpose is, then build accordingly. Accuracy only? Benched? Light-weight run and gun? Rugged SHTF? Home defense? The AR can do all of these well, but are better suited if built for a dedicated role. That's why you need several. :D

Just my $.02 FWIW

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom