What training are YOU planning to take in 2015?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Hi all,

I started a similar thread just about a year ago. In the last two years I've taken 10 firearms classes and one "tactical medicine"-type class. As most of the schools/instructors have full or partial schedules up, I thought I would see what people are planning to take.

In 2014 my goal was mainly to focus on improving with the handgun, the gun I am most likely to defend myself with (I don't stroll around with an AR on my back). Of the 7 classes I took in 2014, 6 were handgun-based. I definitely learned a lot and improved in skills, techniques, and even using a handgun in a tactical environment.

This year, I would like to continue to work on handgun skills but also start to address some self-proclaimed "holes in my game".

As my kids are now 4 and involved in more weekend stuff, finding the time for classes is tough. So far, I have registered for the following classes:

1. The 3 hour SIMS class at Free state, primarily so then I will be "certified" to be able to draw and fire there on future range trips. That's on February 28th.

2. In April, a knife combative course with Tom Sotis, founder of AMOK! Combatives. This will be in Chantilly, VA. He comes highly recommended by a few people I know who have trained with him, including one acquaintance who works in the paramilitary end of "the agency", who brings Tom in several times per year to train his people.

3. In May I will travel back to CSAT in Nacogdoches, TX, for my second 3 day course with Paul Howe. This time, it will be his brand new Urban Defense Course, which is handgun and carbine-based. This is my Christmas present from my wife. Very excited to train with Paul again.

4. In August I will be taking the two-day Level Two Combative Pistol class with Jeff Gonzales in Palmyra, PA. Jeff is an ex-Navy Seal and his company, TriCon, is now affiliated with Alias Training, which is a win in my book. This figures to be a very challenging class. VERY high round count and my understanding is that he scores every round you fire. If you don't score an 80%, no certificate for you.

I will probably add 1-2 more classes, most likely in the Fall (trying to spread them out a bit). Under consideration are another Suarez class, Matt Jacques of Victory First, our local Center Mass Combat Tactics and Commonwealth Criminal Justice Academy, and maybe another course with Mike Pannone of CTT Solutions. I would also like to check out Annapolis Defense. I will update this thread on those plans, and will write AARs of each class I take in separate posts, as usual.

So......what are you taking?

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    I need ACLS = Advance Cardiac Life Support Certification (Job Related)

And

CRSO = Chief Range Safety Officer (Job Related)

Both within the next 3 months

Edit: CRSO completed on 4/25/15

Last edited:

Maxsplat

Apr 11, 2013
    Westmonster
    Whatever my wallet will allow. I'm starting from basics on the 21st with NRA pistol basics. I'm not sure but I think this will be a refresher for me as well as my first formal training. My father (former Marine and NRA instructor) gave me the basics when I was a kid. I'm hoping to pick up a few things and maybe even inmprove in areas I'm sure I make mistakes in. AFter that it all depends on what my wallet can allow. I'm hungry for any and all training so I'm hoping to stretch every dollar to the max.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    30 hour course from PFT:

Advanced Handgun

24-30 hours, 1200-1500 Rounds Primary, 50 Backup

This course is structured for those who have successfully completed Defensive Handgun I and II or other school's equivalent. Performance of all Level I and most Level II skills on demand will be expected. A brief review and marksmanship / gun handling skills 'tune-up' will be conducted initially. This will be followed by a Skills Inventory demonstration by each shooter. Performance will be elevated to an extremely high level by pushing the balance of accuracy versus speed shooting against stationary, multiple and moving targets. Other subjects featured include difficult targets, close range emergency reaction, reflexive malfunction clearance, use of space, movement techniques within confined areas, multiple indoor and outdoor tactical simulators, low light, vehicular techniques, backup weapon use, and weapon retention. This course is offered in 1, 2, and 3-day formats (facility-dependent). The 3-day version features multiple interactive and low light exercises. A quality flashlight (Surefire-type or other high output) and concealment garment are recommended, but optional. Backup guns are allowed and can be used on some exercises, but are not required.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Sweet Jesus, that's a lot of planned training. I'm lucky if I can get to the range once a month for fun :shocking:

Maxsplat

Apr 11, 2013
    Westmonster
    Sweet Jesus, that's a lot of planned training. I'm lucky if I can get to the range once a month for fun :shocking:

That me too. Family commitments are also a stopper for me. But I'm slowly making time for the range and even trap shooting. Also got my wife into trap so that makes it a little easier.

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    FWIW - A few weeks ago I did a pistol and carbine class with Tommy from Center Mass and really really enjoyed it. He is a good instructor and threw a lot of good information at us. I hope to get back there again sometime soon.

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    FWIW - A few weeks ago I did a pistol and carbine class with Tommy from Center Mass and really really enjoyed it. He is a good instructor and threw a lot of good information at us. I hope to get back there again sometime soon.

Are you coming to CMCT's intro to Tactical Weapons in April? Don't let the "intro" part fool you, it is an amazing class for shooters of any skill level. They are offering some great classes this year and we hope to take all of them (even though we've done most of them before!)

The men who run CMCT are the real deal. They offer Top Notch training no doubt.

Hogarth- I am so jealous of the Paul Howe class. :)

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    I would like to, but iirc that is a two day affair, with my kids schedules for sports, scouts, etc. two days would be a really tough sell to my wife.

Kagetsu

Feb 4, 2009
    tvblogblush2.jpg

Equipping is my current bain.
    Appleseed, but need a scope and sling the isn't halfasset.
    Handgun, probably reasonably ready.
    Shotgun, really want to practice on targets with buckshot.

Mainly I lack motivation.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    I'm planning to take the pistol/carbine classes from CMCT, precision rifle from Tommy at CMCT and hopefully I'll make it to VA to train with Ed at Central VA Tactical. Already signed up for a pistol/carbine class with Larry Vickers in PA in October. Also really want to travel to CSAT to train with Paul Howe if there is any way I can pull that off this year. Not sure I can do both the CSAT and Central VA Tactical classes in the same year.

Mrhyde

Capitalist-Pig
    May 22, 2010
    Bel Air MD
    Just signed up for "shooting under pressure" and "simulated live fire home defense" at Freestate indoor range.

These will be my very first classes pretty much ever.

I also *HOPE* the new MD government decides its time to drop G&S. If so I really *HOPE* to take a concealed carry class this year.

(Not holding my breath)

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I'm planning to take the pistol/carbine classes from CMCT, precision rifle from Tommy at CMCT and hopefully I'll make it to VA to train with Ed at Central VA Tactical. Already signed up for a pistol/carbine class with Larry Vickers in PA in October. Also really want to travel to CSAT to train with Paul Howe if there is any way I can pull that off this year. Not sure I can do both the CSAT and Central VA Tactical classes in the same year.

That Vickers class in York isn't until October and its already full! I would love to take a class with him, and had it been pretty much anything besides the combo or his 1911 class I would have signed up. Not that I can't learn from the guy, but do I really need another entry level class? If it was his AK class or a dedicated 2 day pistol or carbine class I would have given it a go.

CMCT is awesome. Not sure if I will add one of their classes to my list; most of their classes this year just don't jive with my schedule, unfortunately. We'll see.

As for CSAT, it's a haul to get down there, but clearly I think it's worth it. I would do it sooner rather than later before Howe retires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom