• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Hi,
    Don't apply to me, I was a Police Sergeant for 35 years in Baltimore and have my Permit. Just wanted to let you know that I strongly support the right to carry for Law abiding citizens. I would however strongly advise passing a Firearms Safety Course for anyone wishing to carry. I say that not to hamper your efforts but to point out that I have seen even trained Police shoot the wrong person and even themselves. Killing a person is a hard thing to live with, shooting yourself I imagine is even worse. I have also heard of many Police shooting a child with a toy gun in a "Shoot, Don't Shoot Simulation"
    There must be a Book of Cardinal Rules.
    1. If you are not directly targeted, do not intervene, that is why you hire Police.
    2. Practice and be able to hit your Target, remember the bad guys shoot back.
    3. If you point a gun at someone be prepared to kill them, and suffer the consequences.
    4. Be prepared, even Police have their Weapons taken and used against them.
    And so on. If I can be of any help let me know,
    Ed O'Halloran
    edhallor@comcast.net

Thanks and welcome Ed...

For everyone, there is a Sticky in the Nat'l 2A Thread, Coping with Concealed Carry. It might be good for everyone to review standards and expectations for WHEN Shall-Issue becomes reality in MD. It is a huge responsibility that comes with carrying. Sermon over, please read this sticky: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=13719

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by miles71
    I think going after the current system and changing it internally might be a good way to bring about change in the long run. My experience getting my CCW was also very pleasant and professional. What really surprised me was how few people apply.

TD

I know this was not your intent but your statement kind of comes off as MD Government spin. While it may be true that the vast majority of applications are approved, it is also true that the criteria for a successful application are very narrow. People do not apply because they realize that you must qualify on employment (generally), retired LEO, or (rarely) personal protection based on an elevated threat level. With the information we have, some permits do get issued to housewives, gun collectors and some other oddities but they are just that - oddities.

Not my intent at all to sound like a Md Government spin doctor, HOWEVER I wasnt going to apply in Md due to the negative vib I got from forums such as this. Being the stubborn guy I am I still tried and obtianed a CCW in Md for a reason other than stated by MSP. My restriction is I can CCW while transporting musical instruments as an endorsing artists for an instrument company. No threats, no large sums of cash, not a busniess owner, not a doctor, and I dont think I am at all "connected" with anyone. My experience was pleasant and positive. Perhaps I am an "oddity". Since I have my foot in the door perhaps I could get the restriction lifted in the future.

I still think if more applied in Md it would put strain on the existing process. MD cites its percentage of permits issued being high, but how many apply? If we tripled the applications and they didnt triple the issued permits that arguement would go away.

Hi,
    Don't apply to me, I was a Police Sergeant for 35 years in Baltimore and have my Permit. Just wanted to let you know that I strongly support the right to carry for Law abiding citizens. I would however strongly advise passing a Firearms Safety Course for anyone wishing to carry. I say that not to hamper your efforts but to point out that I have seen even trained Police shoot the wrong person and even themselves. Killing a person is a hard thing to live with, shooting yourself I imagine is even worse. I have also heard of many Police shooting a child with a toy gun in a "Shoot, Don't Shoot Simulation"
    There must be a Book of Cardinal Rules.
    1. If you are not directly targeted, do not intervene, that is why you hire Police.
    2. Practice and be able to hit your Target, remember the bad guys shoot back.
    3. If you point a gun at someone be prepared to kill them, and suffer the consequences.
    4. Be prepared, even Police have their Weapons taken and used against them.
    And so on. If I can be of any help let me know,
    Ed O'Halloran

I agree, there should be some sort of training or check and balance for CCW. I think is is funny that Md doesnt require ANY training for a CCW but is one of the toughest states to get one.

TD

TD

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    As much as I hate spamming threads with off topic posts, the Open Holster Rally tomorrow is a chance for us to show real force in our numbers. It's time to go on the offensive, folks. The rally is from 12-6 tomorrow at the end of Main Street in Annapolis. There's a parking garage about 300 feet from the rally point. I really and truly hope to see a lot of folks at the rally. I'll have the white MSI tshirts as well as some of the blue "Ask Me About My Empty Holster" shirts.

Come one, come all, bring your families! Take a few hours to stand up for your rights.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Let's just see together tomorrow who shows up and who doesn't.

After that we can reconcile who's with us and who's maybe...
    Not fair. I have a funeral to go to. I went to the first one, but have always had other obligations for the others. I do write a lot of letters and donate money when i can....

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    This is a legal rally, proper approvals were submitted weeks ago.

If I may ask, what are your restrictions to concealed carry? Don't you think anyone that stands up to the same scrutiny and passes as you should have the right to carry? This is not always the case, the who's allowed is very arbitrary.

I practice medicine near Baltimore. I can carry to and from the office and when transporting narcotics. I keep controlled drugs in my bag, which is with me (in my car) all the time. I think everyone should be able to carry without an awful lot of scrutiny. I would prefer a system like VT, AK, AZ. If I didn't, I wouldn't belong to MSI. I jumped through the hoops because I feel more comfortable carrying a gun. That doesn't mean I like the hoops.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Let's just see together tomorrow who shows up and who doesn't.

After that we can reconcile who's with us and who's maybe...

I planned to be there, but I was called off for emergency work in Norfolk so I cant go. I have a MD CCW and Im VERY much for our cause.

I just cant make it this time. I just left my house to head down to VA.

Maryland_Shooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 8, 2008
    Glen Arm
    I think it is more the AG than the MSP. They are just enforcing the laws. My experience with getting my permit was very positive. The troopers I dealt couldn't have been nicer, or more helpful. They even had the secretary at the barracks notarize my application for free. The trooper who did the background checking was great. He told me he was going to recommend I get it, talked about a few pistols he liked for CCW, and recommended a couple of courses to take. They all seemed pro-CCW.

Oh no - don't believe that for a second. You see once you are admitted to their exclusive club, you stop being one of the unwashed masses.

Walk in i

Maryland_Shooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 8, 2008
    Glen Arm
    I think it is more the AG than the MSP. They are just enforcing the laws. My experience with getting my permit was very positive. The troopers I dealt couldn't have been nicer, or more helpful. They even had the secretary at the barracks notarize my application for free. The trooper who did the background checking was great. He told me he was going to recommend I get it, talked about a few pistols he liked for CCW, and recommended a couple of courses to take. They all seemed pro-CCW.

Nope - you were admitted to their special club.

Walk in off the street with an application and see the reception you get

Had a LEO buddy go in. They were all up his a$$ UNTIL he stated he was law enforcement.

BAM - all of a sudden they are like "Why didn't you just say so?"

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

Had a LEO buddy go in. They were all up his a$$ UNTIL he stated he was law enforcement.

I did walk in off the street. They don't know me. I was never LEO. I happen to have a job that fits the mold. I disagree strongly with the policies, but I believe they come more from the AG than the MSP. That's just my experience.

Maryland_Shooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 8, 2008
    Glen Arm
    Quote:

Not my intent at all to sound like a Md Government spin doctor, HOWEVER I wasnt going to apply in Md due to the negative vib I got from forums such as this. Being the stubborn guy I am I still tried and obtianed a CCW in Md for a reason other than stated by MSP. My restriction is I can CCW while transporting musical instruments as an endorsing artists for an instrument company. No threats, no large sums of cash, not a busniess owner, not a doctor, and I dont think I am at all "connected" with anyone. My experience was pleasant and positive. Perhaps I am an "oddity". Since I have my foot in the door perhaps I could get the restriction lifted in the future.

I still think if more applied in Md it would put strain on the existing process. MD cites its percentage of permits issued being high, but how many apply? If we tripled the applications and they didnt triple the issued permits that arguement would go away.

I agree, there should be some sort of training or check and balance for CCW. I think is is funny that Md doesnt require ANY training for a CCW but is one of the toughest states to get one.

TD

TD

OK - what is the amount I am throwing down the toilet if I decide to apply?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

Complete BS. Im not a LEO and I have 2 MD Permits. Never have I been given shit by the MSP or their Staff.

OK - what is the amount I am throwing down the toilet if I decide to apply?

$117.00 Plus Prints, and Passport Photos for 2 years, after that renewals are about $85 and are good foor 3 years. MSP only takes Livescan prints for permits now too, but are supposedly gonna change is to accepting both again.

Maryland_Shooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 8, 2008
    Glen Arm
    Complete BS. Im not a LEO and I have 2 MD Permits. Never have I been given shit by the MSP or their Staff.

$117.00 Plus Prints, and Passport Photos for 2 years, after that renewals are about $85 and are good foor 3 years. MSP only takes Livescan prints for permits now too, but are supposedly gonna change is to accepting both again.

Well the MSP have acted like tools to 3 people I know who applied for and were granted permits. YMMV

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Well the MSP have acted like tools to 3 people I know who applied for and were granted permits. YMMV

I guess it depends on who does the interviewing. I found out after the fact the the guy who did mine was my brother-in-laws former shift partner. (my BIL is retired MSP). He said the trooper was very much in favor of everyone carrying. There are probably some anti-shall issue troopers out there. Who knows. My experience was surprisingly smooth. I expected what you describe. If I were a member of the club, there would be no restrictions on mine. ;)

Also, keep up the good work. I appreciate what you are doing. It is very necessary. It looks like all the hard work will come to fruition soon.

Maryland_Shooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 8, 2008
    Glen Arm
    I guess it depends on who does the interviewing. I found out after the fact the the guy who did mine was my brother-in-laws former shift partner. (my BIL is retired MSP). He said the trooper was very much in favor of everyone carrying. There are probably some anti-shall issue troopers out there. Who knows. My experience was surprisingly smooth. I expected what you describe. If I were a member of the club, there would be no restrictions on mine. ;)

Also, keep up the good work. I appreciate what you are doing. It is very necessary. It looks like all the hard work will come to fruition soon.

Yeah these guys said they were grilled pretty hard and basically told they just wanted to shoot someone :sad20:

They stayed cool and the MSP basically issued.

Maybe Monday I'll get the print cards I need.

ETA: I know my dad was working on the subway at Pennsylvania Avenue (BAD PLACE) and tried to get an application - back before the web.

MSP: why do you want a permit
    Dad: I am working in a very BAD area
    MSP: What do you think you are Wyatt Earp
    DAD: How about we take a ride and I let your white ass out 5 blocks from my office with no gun and I bet you don't make it to the office. You make it, I don't get one - I can see I'll be getting a permit.
    MSP: No deal

Last edited:

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    From my experience the MSP troopers do what they are told to do from the top. While there are no doubt bad apples who give some a harder time than others, the mystique is really overblown. You either fit their criteria or you don't. Sometimes, a different reason might get you a permit (like the musical instruments). The overriding factors are MONEY and DANGEROUS GOODS. Transporting a lot of money gets you a permit, transporting narcotics gets you a permit and transporting expensive/bad juju if stolen stuff (guns, instruments, etc.) gets you a permit.

Of course, there are the people who have elevated threats on their lives who get them.

Generalized self-defense WILL NOT get issued a permit.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom