• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hjaalmarch

Jan 7, 2014
    Probably an obvious question, but I was just wondering.

I live in Baltimore, got a rowhouse with a decent sized back yard. I have a neighbor on each side that, if they were in their yard, could look over and see me in my backyard.

Could I legally do some gun maintenance and/or cleaning in my backyard? Something tells me 'no', but what if I talked to them beforehand and said 'I'm just going to clean some of my guns, please don't call the cops on me'? Does that have a possibility of working?

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Nothing illegal about it as long as you don't point or threaten anyone with them however I wouldn't recommend it.

You don't want other folks who maybe walking past knowing you have guns in the home. Or at least I don't.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    If they are legally owned, and you don't mind advertising to your neighbors you have them, and you want to avoid the smell of Hoppes No. 9 permeating your house - go for it! Just don't discharge any of them or point them toward anyone in what might be considered a threatening manner. I prefer discretion, but I have been known to clean a few firearms on the back deck in nice weather.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    It's not illegal to clean guns, especially on your own property. (Yet).

The question is, do you want your neighbors to know about your guns?

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    I agree with all above that thinks advertising that you have guns is not a good idea. I just moved and made a point of "secretly" getting the guns, ammo, and the safe in the house.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    It's entirely legal. Whether or not you want to risk advertising your ownership of firearms is up to you.

IANAL

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    When I lived in Baltimore City, I didn't even feel safe keeping my firearms in my own home, much less cleaning them in the backyard. To be truthful, I was living in Pigtown, not one of the nicer areas. Baltimore is a "block by block" sort of place. Cleaning firearms in your backyard may be just fine or could be one boneheaded idea. You're the best judge of how well it would work in your block.

I decided to move 20 miles north and now feel perfectly comfortable cleaning my guns on the front porch. :)

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    Think about this. It is with in your rights to clean your firearms on your deck. But if your anti-gun neighbors decide to "SWAT" you saying you pointed a gun at them, what do you think the police will do and who would they believe!

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Get a parts washer from harbor freight. Buy aviation simple green and add hot water. You won't find a more thorough way to clean your guns.

Use an air compressor to dry it off, or Ballistol & water mix to coat the mrletal till the moisture evaporates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom