• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I know some people will fund their NFA trust with a dollar bill paper clipped to the actual document and listing it on the schedule A.

But, have any of you heard of funding a trust with a piece of gold or silver - like a gold or silver eagle?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If you're talking coins or ingots, I don't see why not. I don't think i'd use a ring or a watch or something along those lines. I keep a free checking account in the name of my trust. It serves as a savings acct for more goodies and if I were to meet my demise, Wife and daughter have access to it as they are on my trust as well.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    I know some people will fund their NFA trust with a dollar bill paper clipped to the actual document and listing it on the schedule A.

But, have any of you heard of funding a trust with a piece of gold or silver - like a gold or silver eagle?

Sure, you could probably fund it with a stick of gum if you wanted to. Not sure why you would want to do that, though.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    You do know Mr. Roosevelt made ownership of gold coins illegal?
    And he did it by......EXECUTIVE ORDER

Guess who inherited his playbook.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Fund it with whatever you want. $1 bill does not tie up any liquid assets like 1oz of gold would.

You could use your son's dirty soccer cleats if you want to.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    The funny thing about trusts is they don't exist until they are funded. It's that initial property that's gifted--whether it's a piece of gold or $2 bill--that makes the trust legitimate and gives it the ability to act on its own. The ATF has no jurisdiction or ability to confirm the legitimacy of a trust. If the paperwork is present and meets a cursory inspection, it is approved.

So it's not that "the ATF doesn't care", more accurately the ATF can't deny it. YET. It's not a big deal to follow best practices. They may not be necessary. But as time goes by, the restictions against NFA Trusts are guaranteed to start piling up.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    How about another way to look at it. If you are doing a Form 4 transfer, you normally pay for the item before filing for the tax stamp. So at the point the trust owns the item, it just not have possession of it.

If the tax stamp is denied, the trust will get some of the money back, but then again, who cares, if ATF will not approve your trust purchases, the trust is now a piece of paper, without value to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom