• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Where I live, my neighbors would probably freak out and call the cops if I handled firearms in my yard. I had a safe delivered a while back and one of them ran over and said "Hey, it's your nosey neighbor... what's in the box?!" I looked her in the eye and said "A safe" and watched the color drain from her face. I told her my wife would be thrilled to have a place to put her jewelry, but she knew what it was for.

Toting all those shot-up targets to and from my truck... I'm pretty sure everyone in eyesite knows. But OPSEC, I have no need to advertise nor go out of my way to upset the neighbors. Same reason the stickers on my truck are only recognizable to those "in the know".

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Where I live, my neighbors would probably freak out and call the cops if I handled firearms in my yard. I had a safe delivered a while back and one of them ran over and said "Hey, it's your nosey neighbor... what's in the box?!" I looked her in the eye and said "A safe" and watched the color drain from her face. I told her my wife would be thrilled to have a place to put her jewelry, but she knew what it was for.

Toting all those shot-up targets to and from my truck... I'm pretty sure everyone in eyesite knows. But OPSEC, I have no need to advertise nor go out of my way to upset the neighbors. Same reason the stickers on my truck are only recognizable to those "in the know".

^This.

We have a side entry garage - garage door & garage contents are not visible from street and a row of Leyland cypress between me and my neighbor. It is VERY private. But I always clean my guns in the garage with the main door open. My wife hates the smell of solvent in the house for some reason. :) So it's not like I'm in the back yard exactly but someone walking up my driveway and turning left to enter the garage would get an eye full.

Anyway, I was cleaning several guns in my garage, door open, and my nosey neighbor walks over trying to get his little s**t Dachshund that escaped and yells in a rather accusatory tone: "I hope those are unloaded".

With my back turned and extremely startled, I turn around and say "You know, I forgot to check if they were unloaded. Here, why don't you come over and verify they're unloaded" or words to that effect.

He just turned around & walked.:sad20:

lilmike1464

Oct 12, 2013
    Baltimore City, MD
    ^This.

We have a side entry garage - garage door & garage contents are not visible from street and a row of Leyland cypress between me and my neighbor. It is VERY private. But I always clean my guns in the garage with the main door open. My wife hates the smell of solvent in the house for some reason. :) So it's not like I'm in the back yard exactly but someone walking up my driveway and turning left to enter the garage would get an eye full.

Anyway, I was cleaning several guns in my garage, door open, and my nosey neighbor walks over trying to get his little s**t Dachshund that escaped and yells in a rather accusatory tone: "I hope those are unloaded".

With my back turned and extremely startled, I turn around and say "You know, I forgot to check if they were unloaded. Here, why don't you come over and verify they're unloaded" or words to that effect.

He just turned around & walked.:sad20:

Haha I'm sure you guys are now in a best friend relationship now. When I moved to my house last year in West Baltimore, almost at the county line, one of the neighbors saw me and my grandfather moving a big safe and came over to compliment and give us a hand. Most of my other neighbors are nice, but they don't seem like the type who would enjoy seeing me out on the back porch with an AR lol

Feb 28, 2013
    Haha I'm sure you guys are now in a best friend relationship now. When I moved to my house last year in West Baltimore, almost at the county line, one of the neighbors saw me and my grandfather moving a big safe and came over to compliment and give us a hand. Most of my other neighbors are nice, but they don't seem like the type who would enjoy seeing me out on the back porch with an AR lol

Some folks in rowhouses may be grateful to have a gun owner next to 'em, especially if it's a bad area and they can't afford their own boom stick.

BondJamesBond

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2009
    The problem I see is this. You are cleaning (or otherwise handling) your guns in the backyard. Neighbor who doesn't know any better feels threatened and calls police. they might even say you pointed a gun at them. You might have an officer respond who also doesn't know any better and you get arrested. Guns get confiscated. You might only spend a little while in the pokey, but you will then have to try and get your guns back.

Not worth the trouble IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom