• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I sold one of my complete lowers late last year, so one of my uppers is now homeless. I'm going to build out a new one, but, this time I'm soliciting advise from the brain trust here. If you were going to build a lower for HD/TWD, which LPK and stock and other such things would you recommend for this? Sling and attachment points? I'm budgeting $300 for this, not including the lower. Thanks.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    I just completed my first lower last weekend so I'm, like, an expert.

Two pieces I used I really like and I will likely include them in a future build if I can find them at a good price.

Trigger: ALG ACT, $65. Smooth polished trigger without going full-Giessele.
    http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/ALG_Defense_Combat_Trigger_ACT_Tuned_By_Geissele_p/alg-act.htm

Stock: Wilson Rogers Super-Stock, $75. The cam makes it very tight, avoiding any rattle in the stock.
    http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Super-Stoc-Carbine-Buttstock-Black/productinfo/TR-SUPERSTOC/

Last edited:

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I just completed my first lower last weekend so I'm, like, an expert.

Two pieces I used I really like and I will likely include them in a future build if I can find them at a good price.

Trigger: ALG ACT, $65. Smooth polished trigger without goinf full-Giessele.
    http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/ALG_Defense_Combat_Trigger_ACT_Tuned_By_Geissele_p/alg-act.htm

I would go with that trigger, but I would use a Magpul CTR, or ACS stock. I'm going to go with a CTR or ACS stock, depending on what is in stock next week at JBO.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I sold one of my complete lowers late last year, so one of my uppers is now homeless. I'm going to build out a new one, but, this time I'm soliciting advise from the brain trust here. If you were going to build a lower for HD/TWD, which LPK and stock and other such things would you recommend for this? Sling and attachment points? I'm budgeting $300 for this, not including the lower. Thanks.

Remember, your upper has to be an HBAR in order to build a newly bought lower into a complete rifle. I'm sure you know that, just reminding the folks.

Jim Smith

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I would go with that trigger, but I would use a Magpul CTR, or ACS stock. I'm going to go with a CTR or ACS stock, depending on what is in stock next week at JBO.

How heavy is the ACS versus the CTR? My upper is a carry handle upper, so no optics. I may put a flashlight on the handguard, as it's a Magpul MOE handguard and I can snag a rail piece for it.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I will offer this tidbit. I do not like QD sling attachment points. They are very sensitive to dirt and rust. I had one go south on me.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    How heavy is the ACS versus the CTR? My upper is a carry handle upper, so no optics. I may put a flashlight on the handguard, as it's a Magpul MOE handguard and I can snag a rail piece for it.

The ACS is slightly heavier, due to slightly more material and ability to store extra batteries for your red dot/light, within 2 tubes on the stock.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I will offer this tidbit. I do not like QD sling attachment points. They are very sensitive to dirt and rust. I had one go south on me.

Are you talking about the plug-in versions?

The ACS is slightly heavier, due to slightly more material and ability to store extra batteries for your red dot/light, within 2 tubes on the stock.

I'm trying to keep this as light as possible without weak parts, hence the question. Thanks.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    So about a 4 1/2 ounce difference. Since I forgot to mention it, the barrel is a 14.3" M4 barrel with a pinned AAC brake for if I get a suppressor. It has an M16 BCG, an A2 upper receiver, and a Magpul MOE hand guard. FSB is pinned on. Most of it was built by Hatfield's Gunsmithing in Manassas, VA.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I would go with a Magpul SL handguard and the new M-Lok system solely for the ease of attachment of sundry accesories. No need to remove handguard. A lil bit of rail for an Inforce WML (the momentary version) and then once I've gotten accustomed to the balance and heft, stipple the hell out of the forend.

As for the stock and lower guts, standard USGI guts with the addition of an ambi safety and charging handle. Stock I'd cheap out on for HD purposes as its not a NM or a scored competition and go with GI or Magpul MOE. No need for me to pay for the rookies cool new stuff while my rifles in lockup.

Might pop a tritium front sight post and paint the top of the FSB hi-vis orange to make snap shooting, caveman Eotech and alternative sighted fire easier.

Sling simple two point cause nothing says bad day like a 9 lb choke collar attached to your neck.

Flash-hider make sure you can fix bayonets because hey why not.

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Take a look at the ERGO F93 PRO STOCK. It locks up solid but it does weigh 1.3lbs. Look around for a sale, I got mine for $140 or so as the reg prices seem to run about $175/$180.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I would go with a Magpul SL handguard and the new M-Lok system solely for the ease of attachment of sundry accesories. No need to remove handguard. A lil bit of rail for an Inforce WML (the momentary version) and then once I've gotten accustomed to the balance and heft, stipple the hell out of the forend.

As for the stock and lower guts, standard USGI guts with the addition of an ambi safety and charging handle. Stock I'd cheap out on for HD purposes as its not a NM or a scored competition and go with GI or Magpul MOE. No need for me to pay for the rookies cool new stuff while my rifles in lockup.

Might pop a tritium front sight post and paint the top of the FSB hi-vis orange to make snap shooting, caveman Eotech and alternative sighted fire easier.

Sling simple two point cause nothing says bad day like a 9 lb choke collar attached to your neck.

Flash-hider make sure you can fix bayonets because hey why not.

I'm trying to keep this as light as possible, which is why the MOE handguard set is on there. Good info on the front sight, I'll try that. And the flash hider/brake on now isn't going anywhere, it's pinned on and the barrel is too short for the standard birdcage suppressor.

Yes. The type with the four ball bearings that expand and contract with the push of a button.:tdown:

My 3-gun rifle has this, it's not going to be used for anything but 3-gun, so I'll keep this in mind for this particular build.

Take a look at the ERGO F93 PRO STOCK. It locks up solid but it does weigh 1.3lbs. Look around for a sale, I got mine for $140 or so as the reg prices seem to run about $175/$180.

This setup is on my 3-gun rifle, I got it during a group buy here for $115 :D Wish I had bought 2 or 3 of them.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    How dare you live in America and post a question we Marylanders are programmed to answer only one way.

I bow to your Americanism.
    Jim Smith

In spite of all that, it would work with a carbine length HBAR upper, so I think this would be good info for anyone looking to do a new lower build for that.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Well, I would try to find a RRA 2 stage NM trigger, which I have seen on sale around a few places for like $80. I have the ALG Combat, but, the RRA should be just a little bit lighter at 4 1/2 exactly. My ALG is still about 6lb, but smooth. Then a Magpul CTR stock, that I could add a LaRue cheek weld to latter if I put a scope on it. This is the BEST sight combo stock set up I have ever used. Ergo pistol grip, RRA LPK without firecontrol group and Spikes Tactical T-2 buffer, with Superior Shooting Flat wire buffer spring. This spring is made from the same steel used for NASCAR valve springs and is rated for 500,000 cycles. Also, it is longer than standard buffer spring but still works cause it is flat and fits. Novetske or some other end plate with QD hole in the middle, thread and use a set screw for the rear detent and spring in the lower. I forget the size off hand, but I do this with all my lower builds now, and keeps that spring from flying when I change stocks. Total cost was about $10 for tap & set screws. Oh, and a Spikes buffer tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom