• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fishcrow

May 7, 2013
    We live in the Glen Burnie area and are looking for someone who knows about coins. My father and grandfather had a habit of saving them and would like to know what we have.

Thanks.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    I have an estate appraiser in he Harrisburg area. I'll reach out to him and see if he would come to you

--
    Shamr0ck

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Understood. This fellow has a diverse business ranging from custom jeweler, appraiser and real estate.

He's built a couple of rings for my wife, is making exact duplicates of my late mother's ring for each of my daughters and has appraised several items for us so that we can insure them for the proper amounts.

--
    Shamr0ck

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I can only recommend guys in my area (Towson). Most coin dealers will be happy to give it a once-over and give you a general assessment. You definitely want a coin guy, not a cash for gold guy or an auctioneer to go through it.

1964 and lower dimes and quarters are mostly silver, and worth at least spot... well above face value even if collector value is neglible. The chances of you having anything really valuable (aka rare) in a casual collection is pretty low. If it's not sleeved and or marked it's probably not anything special. If you see anything in impeccable condition, separate it as those command the best prices even among more common coins.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Also older quarters, half dollars and silver dollars were silver. Quarters changed to copper core in 65 along with the dimes.

Older pennies were almost pure copper. They are worth more as scrap copper than their face value.

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    Get ahold of Milton or Alex Lynn at Harford Coin in Parkville. I have known both of them for meh 30 ish years. Milton has been in the coin business for a LONG time, and his son Alex has been around it all his life. They will do a very fair appraisal of your collection for a relatively low fee.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Pennies made pre 1982 are nearly pure copper. Mid 1982 is when they changed metal composition. Sound on falling can tell a lot once you're experienced.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Pennies made pre 1982 are nearly pure copper. Mid 1982 is when they changed metal composition. Sound on falling can tell a lot once you're experienced.

I can't tell the difference between the sound of a copper penny falling from a copper coated zinc penny falling, I wait until they hit the hard surface they land on first, then I can tell the difference.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    I can't tell the difference between the sound of a copper penny falling from a copper coated zinc penny falling, I wait until they hit the hard surface they land on first, then I can tell the difference.

I believe pennies changed from copper to zinc in 1983

Sgt. Psycho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 1, 2009
    "The Neatest Little Shop" is an antique consignment store in Glen Burnie on 648 near the courthouse. The owner is a coin and PM dealer. I have bought from and traded with him for several years.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Yes... fishcrow is the Missus.

We can talk about it at Tim's event Sunday??!

Absolutely. In fact, I should invite him to join us at Tim's B-day/Candidacy kick-off meeting. Let's forward the invite to some other MDShooters members, Pinecone might be interested, I'll PM him the info. I've already sent out to a dozen or so of my closest friends, only about half are active in MDS.

See you there!

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I can only recommend guys in my area (Towson). Most coin dealers will be happy to give it a once-over and give you a general assessment. You definitely want a coin guy, not a cash for gold guy or an auctioneer to go through it.

1964 and lower dimes and quarters are mostly silver, and worth at least spot... well above face value even if collector value is neglible. The chances of you having anything really valuable (aka rare) in a casual collection is pretty low. If it's not sleeved and or marked it's probably not anything special. If you see anything in impeccable condition, separate it as those command the best prices even among more common coins.

So who do you recommend in the Towon area?

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    Google "PCGS" that's a group in CA that grades coins and you can do your own research but remember you will get a round about value not it's market value. Market value is what someone else is willing to pay but you will be able figure out what's good and what's really good. If you don't what to do the leg work, I know of a retired LEO who will look and grade your coins but he charges per hour. I have used him a few times and he is good and will get the right money for what you have, PM me for his name and number. Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom