• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I have 7 magazines for my ParaOrdnance P16-40. Unfortunately, it looks like Mecgar is no longer making magazines for my pistol :mad54: So, aside from Gunbroker and other auction sites, is there another magazine that will work with my pistol? Thanks.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    With Para being closed not sure what will happen down the road so I would get them sooner than later.

What do you mean, they're closed? Their web site is still up?

ETA Looked it up. NOT closed, just consumed by the amoeba that is Remington Arms Co. I did to a Google search, lots of places just carrying the extension kit but not the mags. Midway said Mecgar is discontinued, so did several others.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Have you contacted Para-USA to see if you can buy them direct? By that I mean a friend in VA or PA of course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    They are listed on MecGar's website and appear to be in stock although I did not checkout with them. It will let you add them to your cart.
    Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    After this post, I ended up going to a local gun shop with range to figure out what's wrong with one of my rifles and to get more practice with my Para. They have an STI in stock, so I asked to look at it. The Para's mag fit in the STI mag well, so it may be a modified STI magazine would work. If there are any left at CDNN next week I'll pick up a couple or three and that way I'll have at least 6 mags for this pistol. Should have done this sooner, but that's life.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I just put 10 of them in my cart at Numrich for $19.10 each. Probably need an out of state address to mail them to.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    STI mags have a slightly different shape in the body (thicker front to back because they are more rounded in the front of the mag while the Paras are somewhat flat there). They can be used but they sometimes get stuck and have to be forceably removed. Israeli Bul M-5 uses Para mags but you usually have to recut the mag release slot in the mags slightly. I am also in the market for a few P16-40 mags for the .40 conversion I am doing in one of my Bul M-5s (converting from 9x23mm to .40 using a Para P16-40 slide and a Bul .40 ramped bull barrel).

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I really wish Para had made a 6" version of the P16, but it looks like that's not going to happen unless Remington gives the Para guys free rein. For whatever reason, I still love this pistol, even though it's bitten me several times. I need to remember gloves every time I shoot it.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I read somewhere, maybe in Guns Magazine, that the PARA name is going away. Remington did not say if this was permanent or until they get the line ready to go again.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    The magazines from Numrich came today and they are the correct ones, so I'm good to shoot Steel Challenge and USPSA Limited. Except for the holster. I need a belt mounted one, which my shoulder is not thrilled about.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'm not liking these new magazines. They only hold 15, whereas the older Mecgar mags held 16. They also don't have any holes in the back to check how many rounds are in the magazine. And no bumpers on the bottom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom