FN SLP Tactical or Remington Versamax Competition?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    My New Years Resolution this year is more shooting competitions. My current autoloader shotgun is not working out so it's being relegated to hunting duties. So I'm looking at the FN and the Remington. Any non-monetary reason for one or the other? I'm picking one of these up in March, so I have some time to decide. Thanks.

Paige

Jan 30, 2008
    Brennan and I shoot Versamax's. Brennan bought the 26" field models and added extended tubes and bolt releases. They shoot super soft.

If it had been available when we bought our shotguns, we'd probably have bought A5's because of the autoload feature.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Tombstone tactical has some good prices on a few FNs.

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    I have no complaints about my FN. Plenty of people out there shooting them. They don't seem to like having a bunch of stuff strapped to them like shell caddys etc.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I have no complaints about my FN. Plenty of people out there shooting them. They don't seem to like having a bunch of stuff strapped to them like shell caddys etc.
    Don't put shell caddies on a current 3-gun shotgun. I suggest at the most, if your shotgun requires a round be in the chamber to start feeding the mag you get one of those soft velcro mount 2 round holders you can put right near the ejection port so you can chamber a round before you actually grab you reloads. If your shotgun auto loads the first round (I think only Brownings do that but I could be wrong) then you don't need to do that either. If your hands are big enough learn Load4, if not then Load2. Belt caddies if you can't do either of those. And practice the heck out of whatever reload scheme you settle on until you can do it without thinking. Although I have ran matches with shotguns having barrels longer than 24" I don't like them as they don't move as quick as a shorter one (which is weird when you consider I often shoot a 13 rd mag tube on mine which is longer than a 26" barrel).

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Brennan and I shoot Versamax's. Brennan bought the 26" field models and added extended tubes and bolt releases. They shoot super soft.

If it had been available when we bought our shotguns, we'd probably have bought A5's because of the autoload feature.

Paige! Good to hear from you. Did the field models have dimples in the tube that needed modding?

Tombstone tactical has some good prices on a few FNs.

Thanks, I checked their prices. It would cost the same to have them transferred as what Virginia Arms has them for on the floor.

Don't put shell caddies on a current 3-gun shotgun. I suggest at the most, if your shotgun requires a round be in the chamber to start feeding the mag you get one of those soft velcro mount 2 round holders you can put right near the ejection port so you can chamber a round before you actually grab you reloads. If your shotgun auto loads the first round (I think only Brownings do that but I could be wrong) then you don't need to do that either. If your hands are big enough learn Load4, if not then Load2. Belt caddies if you can't do either of those. And practice the heck out of whatever reload scheme you settle on until you can do it without thinking. Although I have ran matches with shotguns having barrels longer than 24" I don't like them as they don't move as quick as a shorter one (which is weird when you consider I often shoot a 13 rd mag tube on mine which is longer than a 26" barrel).

So the receiver mounted shell holder is a no-go? Good to know. I still have the 8-shell double-stack caddies on my battle belt, so I would just need the 2-round holder. I load off-hand feed with 4, have not mastered the 2-shell at a time insert.

Looks like the FN has more fans here, anyone else?

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I've been shooting an FN SLP for 3Gun for a few years, now (got one when they first came out.) It's a soft shooter and reliable, so long as you maintain it. Over the years, I've made a few changes to it.

I added a Sure Cycle system and "skeet" gas piston so I could reliably shoot 7/8 loads. I also added an oversized bolt release (Nordic Components), bolt handle (also Nordic Components), and +2 extension. While most matches limit you to 8+1 to start, 3GN rules allow you to load at the buzzer. Sometimes, this option comes in handy.

ETA: I also ground into the mag tube a little for more positive shell loading.

Overall, I'm really happy with the FN and would buy it again. Very fast and soft shooter.

As for reloading, I still load 4 weak hand. I know all of the cool kids have switched to 2 up (or 4 up) strong hand; I've tried it and don't think it's that much faster, if at all (might be better under stress and definitely doesn't require as much practice or dexterity to do well.)

[YT]I1TTr25YYuw[/YT]

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I have a VM Competition if you want to try it out somewhere though Im not too close to you.

Haven't run a match yet but I've been practicing the load-2/4 but need shell holders. Im 6'2" and have decent sized hands. What are the best ones/style for a load 4 method?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    How do you guys feel about pistol gripped shotguns in competition? Pros or cons?

I've been told that the pistol grip may get in the way of reloading depending on how your orient your shottie when doing reloads. I have seen few if any used at local matches or the fnh 3 gun.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Nice video although I like watching Daniel Horner do it better. Daniel like most of the top shooters has switched to load4. While I stayed with caddies for awhile it took me several months to finally get proficient in Load2 to where it was faster than my caddy load. I still carry a couple of caddies for slugs and other uses. I have a couple of Load4 racks but my hand is just not large enough to get comfortable holding that many.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Nice video although I like watching Daniel Horner do it better. Daniel like most of the top shooters has switched to load4. While I stayed with caddies for awhile it took me several months to finally get proficient in Load2 to where it was faster than my caddy load. I still carry a couple of caddies for slugs and other uses. I have a couple of Load4 racks but my hand is just not large enough to get comfortable holding that many.

Do you feel it's that much faster? Down sides? Ever lose shells on the move?

FPL53

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2013
    Frederick
    Not the fancy 3-gun versions, but I believe the sporty versions can be found for less. I don't use a shotgun for HD, I have too many rifles and handguns filling that spot :D

No, it wouldn't be for 3 gun. I do have a few other niceties for defense, but, sometimes you just have to go with the spread of a shottie. I found a nice one with ghost sites plastered on it. Just trying to figure out if I can get it for less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom