• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    Preban --- ummmm yea!!!! lol! :D Are they full auto? Not that that's a requirement but ..... wow! Would be cool!!!

Full-auto conversions were in the minority and were done up until the 1986 ban on new machine guns.

The vast majority of pre-ban AK's are semi auto only and were imported in their original format from the factory until 1989.

On the VEPR Chad is right they are going to be the most accurate and durable rifle however jimbob and rob-cubed have a point though that veprs are usually acquired from AK people who already appreciate the design especially with the amount of coin you pay for them and their non-standardization with other AK's. With pre-bans suggested by other posters they are not all going to be 100% from the start either. Be sure to inspect one if you can before buying. I bought one that I paid $1175 for because I really wanted the spike folding assembly but ended up paying more to get it running right. Had to buy a new recoil spring, extractor, extractor spring, firing pin, and had to grind and smooth out not only the hammer but also the dust cover to keep the bolt carrier from getting caught on the hammer. It runs like a raped ape now but took some work. There were periods when I thought of selling it at a loss for my frustration at it not working but in the end turned out to be a learning experience on not only learning more about how an AK works but also that they are not fool-proof either. They will require maintenance over time especially when used hard like mine was.

If this is going to be your first AK I would probably go with something a little cheaper to see if you even like the design and that you can use it before dumping a lot of money into one. VEPR's and even pre-bans are for the die-hard AK'ers who already appreciate the design but want something different.

Just something to consider.

Atlantic Firearms.com

Industry Partner
    Jul 31, 2011
    FYI we try to offer discounts when possible for member so if you are looking for something feel free to email us with the firearm and your MD Shooters user name.

HollowPoint

Aged Member
    Sep 13, 2011
    Inside the Outside
    Full-auto conversions were in the minority and were done up until the 1986 ban on new machine guns.

The vast majority of pre-ban AK's are semi auto only and were imported in their original format from the factory until 1989.

On the VEPR Chad is right they are going to be the most accurate and durable rifle however jimbob and rob-cubed have a point though that veprs are usually acquired from AK people who already appreciate the design especially with the amount of coin you pay for them and their non-standardization with other AK's. With pre-bans suggested by other posters they are not all going to be 100% from the start either. Be sure to inspect one if you can before buying. I bought one that I paid $1175 for because I really wanted the spike folding assembly but ended up paying more to get it running right. Had to buy a new recoil spring, extractor, extractor spring, firing pin, and had to grind and smooth out not only the hammer but also the dust cover to keep the bolt carrier from getting caught on the hammer. It runs like a raped ape now but took some work. There were periods when I thought of selling it at a loss for my frustration at it not working but in the end turned out to be a learning experience on not only learning more about how an AK works but also that they are not fool-proof either. They will require maintenance over time especially when used hard like mine was.

If this is going to be your first AK I would probably go with something a little cheaper to see if you even like the design and that you can use it before dumping a lot of money into one. VEPR's and even pre-bans are for the die-hard AK'ers who already appreciate the design but want something different.

Just something to consider.

Appreciate your comments and as you pointed out Chad, Jim-Bob & Rob-Cubed also have given excellent advice. THAT's why I come to this site and asked all the folks here. I will be making a purchase here soon. I haven't bought a new firearm for quite a while and it's time. God and Wife willing! :D

As such, I'm taking a another hard look at Arsenal and to a lesser degree the M10's. And yea, the vepr's have me drooling. :D But, not completely sold just yet. Waiting for correspondence back from a few sources.

Mmmmm .... need more sources.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    Just my .02 for what its worth...veprs are the best aks made, i fully agree with chad. The only thing to consider is the weight...but its not that much of a problem and the end gain in accuracy is more than worth it

HollowPoint

Aged Member
    Sep 13, 2011
    Inside the Outside
    Now I really want one.:envy:

:D

Ok guys! Placed my order! :party29: Blain at atlanticfirearms was very helpful. Contacted me almost as soon as my email left the inbox. Gave me a MDS discount! :thumbsup: He referred me over to Bob at Arthurs Shooters Supply in Berlin.

Bob was awesome and has some great wares under the counter and on the back wall. I'll be doing much future business with him. Lots of Sigs for my sig-ness under the counter. So much so that my wife (God bless her) will be trading her S&W SD9 in on a Sig P226 when we go for paperwork. He showed us several when we stopped in today. All in all a great day for everyone all around.

I went with the VEPR AK47 chambered for traditional 7.62x39 - no surprise I guess if you read the thread. I've worked hard and I deserve it!
    http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct980.aspx

You MDS guys, everyone of you, are top notch in my book. Thanks much for the knowledgeable advice. :thumbsup:

When I pick it up I'll give it a good cleaning and lube and get it over to DSC to run through a few boxes of ammo ... I'll post pics. :D

Atlantic Firearms.com

Industry Partner
    Jul 31, 2011
    Vepr-model-2.jpg

bsims01

May 21, 2012
    I'm interested in this exact weapon. I am looking forward to hearing your review. Please update us when you have a minute.

50bmg

Sep 24, 2011
    Towson, MD
    Just my .02 for what its worth...veprs are the best aks made, i fully agree with chad. The only thing to consider is the weight...but its not that much of a problem and the end gain in accuracy is more than worth it

Even better compared to the Arsenals?

HollowPoint

Aged Member
    Sep 13, 2011
    Inside the Outside
    Ok guys! Just an update! And here comes the gush!! :D

Picked up my Russian VEPR 7.62x39 last Friday :D from Bob Aurthur's Shooters Supply in Berlin. What an awesome rifle. If your an AK aficionado and really like this platform - you got to get one of these. What a beautiful rifle.Well crafted! Those Russians can really build a great firearm.

I can't say enough good about Bob (FFL) and the ease of my transaction. :thumbsup: Very knowledgeable, great service and extremely helpful. He mounted up a double picatiny side mount and mounted up an scope for target shooting for me for free which target shooting is the main reason for the purchase. Gettin' to old to do much else with them. I'd recommend Bob for anybody over on the east side of the shore. If your ever over this way stop in and see him. He's a great guy and has a nice selection of AK's, AR's and other tactical stuff right on hand.

Blain over at Atlantic Firearms was awesome too. He was extremely helpful. Great service from a company as busy as they are. They sell 150 guns a day and I can see why. Love the wide range of great firearms they carry.

If ONLY I had more MONEY!!! I'd need a bigger safe!!

The stock looks like it's pretty much unfinished though quite smooth. It's definitely walnut with a nice grain pattern that should look real nice when I finish it out with boiled linseed oil. Considering applying a slight stain to darken the grain a bit before I hand rub in the linseed oil. Before and after pics are coming as well as a range report!!! I wanna take it out to the range soon as time permits and the weather is right before I break it down and do up the stock and foregrip. BTW: I know a lot of guys don't like 'em but I LIKE the thumbhole stock. Very comfortable. Like a top shelf car, I like to shoot mine at the range but like it to look like the best car on the lot.

Thanks to everyone, BOB, Blain and all who threw in their 2 cents in this thread. Your knowledge and advice is greatly appreciated.

:bowdown:

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Congrats on your purchase! VEPRs are definitely in a class of their own, they are the Cadillac of AKs and handle like them too (heavy but smooth).

Let us know what your groupings are like and what ammo she likes best. Definitely try some brass-cased Yugo if you aren't afraid of cleaning corrosive.

gasman

Oct 8, 2007
    Baltimore City
    Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier. As clandestine said, the VEPRs are the finest AK made. I'm sure you'll be very pleased with yours, HollowPoint. For those of you still in the market, a company will be importing VEPRs and modifying them to accept standard AK mags. These will be available through Suarez International in late summer/early fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldman12

Ultimate Member
    Sep 19, 2010
    "Merrica" Eastern Camp
    Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier. As clandestine said, the VEPRs are the finest AK made. I'm sure you'll be very pleased with yours, HollowPoint. For those of you still in the market, a company will be importing VEPRs and modifying them to accept standard AK mags. These will be available through Suarez International in late summer/early fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was on One source tactical earlier today, they had a couple a while back, Converted shortened , permanant flash hider and Texas rail system and dust cover . They werent there today. but on the Texas weapon sytem forend pictures is a very sweet Vepr.

HollowPoint

Aged Member
    Sep 13, 2011
    Inside the Outside
    Hollowpoint...does yours accept standard AK magazines?

Yes Sir it certainly does. That was one of my foremost requirements along with the quality of construction and long term durability in making my decision. Availability of mags is an important factor. The VEPR MD2 comes pre-modified for standard AK mags, 50% heaver duty receiver and 50% heavier duty chrome lined barrel. All of which will make it much more accurate and long term durable than the average AK or so i'm told - even those with a milled receiver IMHO.

I think I got all that and more in this rifle. I'm not a guy with a fat wallet and so I research my purchases intensely and fear being ripped off by sales hype. Even at this price I feel I got more bang for my buck than any other AK variant out there. As has been posted in this thread by guys that really do know this platform, and as I'm finding out, it's simply the best AK out there. I'm real pleased. :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom