• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Now who wants to be the first one to suggest that they agreed to give us a shell casing repeal in exchange for not making any administrative changes to CCW regs? Conspiracy time!

Seriously though, why now? What did Hogan give them to get this? They don't have near unanimous votes like this on pro 2A bills with the most vile of gun grabbers voting for it unless the Brothers Mike told them to do it. Never mind the speed at which this thing moved at the end of the session. I like good news but I can't say I really trust the other side.

On a side note, MSP must be pretty unhappy they'll have to print all new 77Rs for October 1st. Maybe we can just stamp DISAPPROVED across the section?

Nothing from the administration was "traded" for this. As for "why now?" Several reason to include the economic ones that were creeping up quickly (new warehouse need, 4 techs assigned to this for manual input and not to something else, plus a few others).

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    To scrap the existing trove of brass would be the tragick! Think of the childrenz who could be saved by all that brass!

I say it should be maintained forever, in the Attorney General's garage.

He should be required to catalog it. Every case.

They are all, already cataloged, and have been since day one. Hence why the MSP was running out of storage space.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Well, that provision was often used as clear evidence of the foolish excess of MD's gun laws, and it worked.

Now that they're being more closely scrutinized by the courts and requiring justification in Constitutional terms, maybe it started sticking out as a sore thumb as possibly outliving its political usefulness and became a political liability instead.

Anybody know whether the AG's office issued anything in writing about this bill? It might be an interesting read.

Blanket written testimony at both hearings against repealing the law.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    This is a milestone in Maryland. Can anyone else think of a gun control/ harassment law in Maryland that has ever been done away with?
    Ever?
    For once we aren't congratulating ourselves for only losing a little ground we are finally making a tiny step forward.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Paging dblas...come out ... come out... where ever you are...:innocent0

I'm finally up for air, after a long and enjoyable night in Annapolis celebrating Sine Die and SB736. Sorry, no clue at this point who the two were but working on it.

Jack Ryan

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    People’s Republic of Maryland
    Great news!

A reversal of a BS Maryland gun law...one that turned my first handgun into a six week ordeal.

This is the first good thing to happen to us Maryland firearms owners in a long time...I hope it is followed by more reversals of bad gun laws in Maryland.

The Free State is now a little more free!

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Let's get the brass from all the casings that 'infringed' on our rights, melt it down... Then cast little Liberty Bell's (sell them to our friends and supporters), and next time we rally in Annapolis, we let our little Liberty bells ring!

Awesome idea!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ok, I can readily believe that the Sponsering Senator didn't personally make any deals.

And I could be pleasantly surprised if the Bill had passed out of Committee before Crossover Day , and ultimately pass by a semi-normal margin. BUT ....

Going thru Rules Committee , having second and third readers on same day , and passing by unamious and near unamious votes doesn't happen accidently or spontainously.

Unamiois Votes don't happen without the nod of the Democratic Machine. Nor Rules Committee , nor expedited Floor Vote. If the Mike & Mike Club were simply acting in the best intrests of Maryland , SB736 would have cleared Committee before Crossover Day.

*Somthing* changed recently. It is obvious one party was the Dem Machine. Even if they acted independently , they at least had to be involved. The $64 questions which other party(s) were involved , and which horse(s) were traded.

I am not quite paranoid enough to assume it had to be a swap between pro 2A and anti 2A , but it had to be Somthing. Not directly related necessarily , but Somthing.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Nothing from the administration was "traded" for this. As for "why now?" Several reason to include the economic ones that were creeping up quickly (new warehouse need, 4 techs assigned to this for manual input and not to something else, plus a few others).

Nothing from the administration? What about traded by either Republican minority members (not that the Mikes care for them) or by MSI/NRA lobbying people?

As many of us have noted, bills don't normally move at this speed never mind pro 2A bills. In fact, I am confident in saying it has never happened since gun control took off under Gov. Schaefer.

The Democrats didn't get spontaneously concerned with the chump change going to this program. They've never met a new tax and spend program they didn't like.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    IIRC, when FSA2013 was being debated, this was offered as an amendment. As with all the amendments, the MGA was under orders from O'Mao to pass it without amendments. That led not just to Vallario's re-vote and quashing of an amendment that accidentally passed in his Committee, but also Dumais's robotic, rote opposition to this common sense one that she had no valid argument to make. It went down anyway under O'Mao orders, and I expect that a transcript of proceedings on the House floor will expose what a cooked "debate" and legislative sham it was.

This year, standing on its own without O'Mao to crack heads and the other guy on the Senate side, the monolithic front fractured.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Going thru Rules Committee , having second and third readers on same day , and passing by unamious and near unamious votes doesn't happen accidently or spontainously.

I am not quite paranoid enough to assume it had to be a swap between pro 2A and anti 2A , but it had to be Somthing. Not directly related necessarily , but Somthing.

I was a certainly wondering whether part 1 above would happen, and if so, then part 2 would be the next question.

I'm just happy with the possibility of the change, but my gut tells me that MSP/GA simply wanted this off their plates in the future.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I was a certainly wondering whether part 1 above would happen, and if so, then part 2 would be the next question.

I'm just happy with the possibility of the change, but my gut tells me that MSP/GA simply wanted this off their plates in the future.
    Makes me wonder if this isn't a viable form of attack for the future. Point to something that costs money that the MSP doesn't want to do, and then hammer it through using the budget negotiations. Clearly, this strategy is not going to get rid of all of the 2A infringements in MD, but at least it seems like it works, which is more than I can say for some previous things the community has done.

Things that cost money:
    1. Handgun roster - they've got a staff member devoted to this, not to mention all of the meeting overhead and shipping
    2. 77rs on people already have HQLs - seriously, you want $10 in tax on a handgun, just make it a tax and spare us the stupid wait

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Makes me wonder if this isn't a viable form of attack for the future. Point to something that costs money that the MSP doesn't want to do, and then hammer it through using the budget negotiations. Clearly, this strategy is not going to get rid of all of the 2A infringements in MD, but at least it seems like it works, which is more than I can say for some previous things the community has done.

Yes, but in this case it should have been a slam dunk years ago if rationality played a role: All cost, and no benefit to MD taxpayers. Only after the state's broken financial back was up against the wall, the Great Wall of O'Mao, did they relent.

The people who pushed to make this happen should take a bow, and definitely use the same methods when the opportunity arises again.

Meanwhile, some political hay should be made over the fact that the Dems insisted that this ridiculous, money wasting scheme stay in effect as long as they did. How many millions were flushed down the drain over the life of the shell casing requirement?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom