• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Yep this bill is on the way to the governors desk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Now who wants to be the first one to suggest that they agreed to give us a shell casing repeal in exchange for not making any administrative changes to CCW regs? Conspiracy time!

Seriously though, why now? What did Hogan give them to get this? They don't have near unanimous votes like this on pro 2A bills with the most vile of gun grabbers voting for it unless the Brothers Mike told them to do it. Never mind the speed at which this thing moved at the end of the session. I like good news but I can't say I really trust the other side.

On a side note, MSP must be pretty unhappy they'll have to print all new 77Rs for October 1st. Maybe we can just stamp DISAPPROVED across the section?

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Now who wants to be the first one to suggest that they agreed to give us a shell casing repeal in exchange for not making any administrative changes to CCW regs? Conspiracy time.

Seriously though, why now? What did Hogan give them to get this? They don't have near unanimous votes like this on pro 2A bills with the most vile of gun grabbers voting for it unless the Brothers Mike told them to do it.

I like good news but I can't say I really trust the other side.

In the case of ballistic fingerprinting, it made sense all the way around. It was not really restricting the purchase and it was costing the SP to maintain storage and management of the program. There was still dollars being allocated in the MSP budget for it and being used to maintain minimal capabilities. I think the dems held out as long as possible and they could not resist this particular measure any longer.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I seriously doubt any crooked deals, for a few reasons. First, this bill is a no brainier, and will help everyone involved. Secondly, Hogan hasn't stepped out on any gun issue (yet); just as he said while campaigning, he has more important things to work on first, gun issues were not part of his campaign, but if it hits his desk, he's pro-2A. Lastly, if he did some shady back room deal, we would eventually know and it would be contrary to everything Hogan stands for - I don't believe it for a second.

... You wanted to discuss.... :)

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    If you check the MSI Facebook page, it looks like we actually lost something.

It's unreal to see how negative people are being when we actually achieved something real and tangable for MD gun owners.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Hogan wants to cut funding to balance the budget. The other side likes spending money. No doubt this was presented as a "here is money that's not being used. You want it, get rid of the program and its yours for schools or whatever."

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    In the case of ballistic fingerprinting, it made sense all the way around. It was not really restricting the purchase and it was costing the SP to maintain storage and management of the program. There was still dollars being allocated in the MSP budget for it and being used to maintain minimal capabilities. I think the dems held out as long as possible and they could not resist this particular measure any longer.

You and I know it made complete sense. The program was widely known as a failure and the MSP has admitted they no longer do anything with the shell casings. I'm surprised they haven't started reloading them to cut down on costs.

The legislature had plenty of opportunities to eliminate BFP over the years and actually gave it a committee vote, as an amendment to the FSA in 2013, where it failed. The evidence that the program was a complete failure and that the machine was long gone was and still is widely known. Last year they didn't even bother to give it a vote.

You are giving the anti-gun Democrat leadership/membership credit by suggesting they couldn't hold out anymore. They've held out for more than a decade. 2015 wasn't the year they suddenly had an epiphany that the program was asinine. For example, the MSP would have vastly preferred the elimination of 77Rs in favor of a straight HQL to cut down on the man-hours they devote to processing said 77Rs. The legislature was well aware of how antiquated and expensive the system was and continues to be but chose to keep it.

Couldn't resist anymore? No. If the King Mikes hadn't told them to move the thing people like Raskin, Rosenberg and their ilk would have continued to block it. Any expense added to a gun purchase makes them rest easier at night.

For the record, I am not seriously suggesting there was some backroom deal over CCW. It was a joke to rile the masses.

Last edited:

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    You and I know it made complete sense. The program was widely known as a failure and the MSP has admitted they no longer do anything with the shell casings. I'm surprised they haven't started reloading them to cut down on costs.

They've had plenty of opportunities to eliminate BFP over the years and actually gave it a committee vote in 2013 where it failed. The evidence that the program was a complete failure and that machine was long gone was and still is widely known. Last year they didn't even bother to give it a vote.

You are giving the anti-gun Democrat leadership/membership credit by suggesting they couldn't hold out anymore. They've held out for more than a decade. 2015 wasn't the year they suddenly had an epiphany that the program was asinine. For example, The MSP would have vastly preferred the elimination of 77Rs in favor of a straight HQL to cut down on the man-hours they devote to processing said 77Rs. The legislature was well aware of how antiquated and expensive the system was and continues to be but chose to keep it.

Couldn't resist anymore? No. If the King Mikes hadn't told them to move the thing people like Raskin, Rosenberg and their ilk would have continued to block it. Any expense added to a gun purchase makes them rest easier at night.

No longer have a governor dictating that bills be passed or shelved and no longer have an utter buffoon chairing the senate committee.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Now who wants to be the first one to suggest that they agreed to give us a shell casing repeal in exchange for not making any administrative changes to CCW regs? Conspiracy time!

Seriously though, why now? What did Hogan give them to get this? They don't have near unanimous votes like this on pro 2A bills with the most vile of gun grabbers voting for it unless the Brothers Mike told them to do it. Never mind the speed at which this thing moved at the end of the session. I like good news but I can't say I really trust the other side.

On a side note, MSP must be pretty unhappy they'll have to print all new 77Rs for October 1st. Maybe we can just stamp DISAPPROVED across the section?

They waited til the end of session to avoid flack from moms against butter on white bread...

It's not for us... It's not a gift... This kind idiotic law makes it easy to challenge their intent..

It also makes it a bit harder to hit them at election time... This was for them... They are not as cocky... Really.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    If you check the MSI Facebook page, it looks like we actually lost something.

It's unreal to see how negative people are being when we actually achieved something real and tangable for MD gun owners.
    Something passes that makes purchasing and life on the firearms industry in MD slightly less burdensome and folks get diarrhea of the mouth over it.

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    This is a big win for us. Hardly anyone in the legislative branch has thought about passing anything remotely pro-gun in a long time. Can you imagine this passing last year? Yes, it's a budget thing, but it's also a pro-gun thing that got approved in Maryland and we can't forget that. There's no conspiracy. I know we're cynical, but as a member of state government stuff isn't that screwed up.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    They waited til the end of session to avoid flack from moms against butter on white bread...

It's not for us... It's not a gift... This kind idiotic law makes it easy to challenge their intent..

It also makes it a bit harder to hit them at election time... This was for them... They are not as cocky... Really.

I hope you're right insofar as their cockiness goes. I don't believe they believe that their gubernatorial nominee lost because of the FSA. Rather, he lost because he was a poor nominee in conjunction with O'Malley fatigue. Of course, I could be wrong.

The FSA did help knock off a few Democrat incumbents in 2014 so maybe they felt their nose got a little bloodied.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Something passes that makes purchasing and life on the firearms industry in MD slightly less burdensome and folks get diarrhea of the mouth over it.
    It makes me wonder. If we overturn or repeal the AWB will they be happy or will they bitch about G&S.

Its sickening. No other word for it.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    It makes me wonder. If we overturn or repeal the AWB will they be happy or will they bitch about G&S.

Sickening? I think that's a bit extreme. Disappointing? I would agree with that. A lot of gun owners simply want to buy the guns they used to buy up until a year and a half ago and can't get excited about a shell casing law. I would surmise that others lack an understanding of the realities of the Maryland GA and its makeup. They see "new governor" and think that everything will go back to September 30, 2013 and shall issue permits will start showing up at their doors.

It's a pretty damn big deal to eliminate any gun control provision down there especially one of Glendening's hallmark achievements.

Outside of the fact that I look forward never having to worry about a shell case again or fill out the section of the 77R, there's one thing I really enjoy about the end of the program:

I hope that Glendening, Col. Mitchell, Casper the Ghost and all the twits that voted for this thing back in 2000 hear about how a near unanimous legislature repealed their stupid program. THAT'S a real victory.

Edit: I found this quote from Col. Mitchell back in 2000 from the Washington Post.

"Countless hours of investigative work can now be eliminated from the process of identifying the crime gun and who may have been in possession of it," State Police Superintendent David Mitchell said.

Correction: countless hours of taking shell casings, packaging them up and sending them to be put in drums can now be eliminated.

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012

There's a big difference between being appreciative of what has been accomplished while still wanting more or just taking a 100% "all or nothing" approach while not giving credit where credit is due within the iterative process towards restoring rights. What has been accomplished has been amazing, and by being dismissive of that just because we live in MD we're only screwing over ourselves by saying that our influence didn't have any impact in the law, that it was just backroom politics or something.

I'd love to see a lawsuit or a bill that successfully removes all the laws that we fight against, but like it or not that's not how stuff works (especially in MD). We're taking steps back when we have to and fighting for every step forward. That's all I can ask, and I'd like to see anyone that disagrees argue for a better long term strategy that doesn't involve shooting people.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    AGC sent out an email announcing the bill's passage, but it also stated that there were amendments to the bill. Anyone have any info on the amendments?

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    AGC sent out an email announcing the bill's passage, but it also stated that there were amendments to the bill. Anyone have any info on the amendments?

The amendments gave MSP the power to dispose of the shell casings. It was clear in the text they do NOT have to dispose of them, merely that they MAY.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    As a gun owner this is a good thing. As a tax payer this is a great thing. Cutting spending on crap that has no use should be what every side wants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom