• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mikey

May 19, 2009
    Ridge MD
    I would like to get a bowfishing setup and was hoping we had a few experts on here that could help. I will be primarily using the setup on skates in the bay if that makes a difference.

The Vortex H20 bow looks interesting and has good reviews but I am not sure what kind of reel to get or what equipment I need for mounting etc. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike

sbbieshelt

Jun 26, 2009
    Simple Pleasures Farm
    Warning I'm cheap, if you want a cool set up to impress your buddies don't do what I do.

I have an old bow that I picked up on craigslist for $50 it's an old bear whitetail but it could be any bow. I have a fiberglass bowfishing arrow with a barb tip. I tie the 400lb bow fishing line to the end and the other to a 2 liter empty soda bottle as a float. I have about 20 feet of line between the arrow and the float. Its simple and easy, no need to worry about a reel. I try to keep it simple. this stays on my boat all year and is always quick to pull out if I'm fishing and see a ray. Even with the bow it cost about $70 bucks. I'm lucky and have tons of opportunities to use it down here in St. Mary's.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    Anyone bowfish for snakeheads? There was an article in the sports page last week about a guy who arrowed a 18 lbs snakehead in the Potomac, new state record. Apparently the guy and his buddy get a lot of snakeheads and sell them at $5 per lbs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom