• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    So... we all know that smokeless powder is measured by weight in grains, and that 1 pound equals 7,000 grains.

We also know that black powder and substitutes are measured by volume in grains, and that Pyrodex (for one) is volume measure equivalent to black powder.

sooooo.. How many grains of black powder (by volume) are there in a pound?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    If you're worried you'll go through more than a one pound can of BP or substitute using your cap and ball pistol in one shooting session, don't be.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    The correct answer is "It Depends" because the density will vary because of the granulation and possibly due to manufacturing differences. Here is some information to digest, it comes from the charts in Modern Reloading Second Edition by Richard Lee. The information for black powder does not show on the on line versions of the same charts on the Lee website.

VMD is the volume of one grain of gun powder in cubic centimeters. To find the volume of a powder charge multiply the grains of powder by the VMD.

VMD Powder
    .06720 Black FFFFG
    .06280 Black FFFG
    .06800 Black FFG
    .07190 Black FG

.08110 H-Pyrodx RS
    .08230 H-Pyrodx P
    .10145 Pyrodex CTG

The Pyrodex so called volume equivalent is probably based on pressure equivalent instead of weight equivalent.

The book also includes black powder on the Lee Dipper Capacity Chart. The Lee book has a lot of information for the money.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    The FFG black powder I have is pretty darn close to 1 to 1 meaning 1 grain by volume is 1 grain by weight.
    The only BP substitute I use is BH209 and it is more like 60% the weight meaning, 100 grains by volume is 70 grains by weight.
    If you ever look, BH209 is sold in 10oz bottles, not 16oz like Pyrodex. powder is sold by weight.

I typically pre measure my powder at home and put into little plastic vials. Its REALLY good doing this for the pistol as it makes it MUCH less messy.

I'll measure by volume, then take the weight and measure subsequent vials by weight. I write all this crap down so I don't forget.
    Vials are always marked with grains by volume though.
    Some people say "Don't weigh them". I'm an engineer and not afraid to use simple math. tough crap. I can handle it.

This is what I put my pistol loads into
    http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Sampl...&qid=1464198168&sr=8-2&keywords=plastic+vials

seal them up into a zip lock bag and take to the range. Simple quick reloading the cap and ball.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    The FFG black powder I have is pretty darn close to 1 to 1 meaning 1 grain by volume is 1 grain by weight.
    The only BP substitute I use is BH209 and it is more like 60% the weight meaning, 100 grains by volume is 70 grains by weight.
    If you ever look, BH209 is sold in 10oz bottles, not 16oz like Pyrodex. powder is sold by weight.

I typically pre measure my powder at home and put into little plastic vials. Its REALLY good doing this for the pistol as it makes it MUCH less messy.

I'll measure by volume, then take the weight and measure subsequent vials by weight. I write all this crap down so I don't forget.
    Vials are always marked with grains by volume though.
    Some people say "Don't weigh them". I'm an engineer and not afraid to use simple math. tough crap. I can handle it.

This is what I put my pistol loads into
    http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Sampl...&qid=1464198168&sr=8-2&keywords=plastic+vials

seal them up into a zip lock bag and take to the range. Simple quick reloading the cap and ball.

:thumbsup: on the speed loader vials. I like the 10ml ones for rifle charges. Having some extra empty space makes it easier to pour without spilling.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    How much powder fits in those 2 ml. tubes?
    I took some FFG and measured the following
    2ml tube : 27grains
    5ml tube : 66 grains
    10ml tube 105 grains.
    Depending on the way the cap is designed in each tube, it can hold a little more than what it says.
    5ml tubes http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Sampl...=UTF8&qid=1464223633&sr=8-3&keywords=5ml+vial
    10ml (not what I have but similar to 5ml ones) http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Sampl...TF8&qid=1464223662&sr=8-9&keywords=10+ml+vial

Attachments

• image-2267300662.jpg
      image-2267300662.jpg
      72.3 KB · Views: 344

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I knew a guy who made a whole bunch of powder dippers using empty cartridge cases with wire handles super-glued on. This was before Lee came out with their complete powder dipper set.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I knew a guy who made a whole bunch of powder dippers using empty cartridge cases with wire handles super-glued on. This was before Lee came out with their complete powder dipper set.

There is a table in the back of the Dixie catalog on the capacity of different shell cases for making dippers. Copper wire and solder is what I use for an odd size just select the next larger size and trim to get the charge you want.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Got a pound of Goex FFFg and a powder measure. I'll toss a 27grain charge ( by volume ) on my reloading scale when I calibrate my flask spout and post the result here for posterity.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Got a pound of Goex FFFg and a powder measure. I'll toss a 27grain charge ( by volume ) on my reloading scale when I calibrate my flask spout and post the result here for posterity.

How do we know your measure is good?

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

All posterior measuring instruments must be traceable to NIST!:lol2:

See what I did?:innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom