Gun Sales Booming: Doomsday, Obama or Zombies?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CPT Ethanolic

Gun Packing Liberal
    You've been watching too much 24-hour news... :D

Maryland Crime Index Rates Per 100,000 Inhabitants

Year - Robbery - Assault
    2000 - 256.0 - 493.3
    2001 - 251.1 - 495.1
    2002 - 246.2 - 490.1
    2003 - 241.3 - 428.0
    2004 - 229.7 - 437.9
    2005 - 257.2 - 414.6
    2006 - 256.0 - 392.0
    2007 - 236.0 - 375.1
    2008 - 233.3 - 363.4
    2009 - 210.7 - 351.3
    2010 - 191.5 - 327.5

A spike around 2005, but since then a steady decline and a decline overall the last ten years.
    Possible that there was a big jump in 2011 or even this year, but the general trend is still downward.

Source: http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/mdcrime.htm

24 hr "news" isn't news. It's 24 hr "try to find something to talk about to keep people tuned in while commercials run". It's "shock" news. Everything is an "outrage". This is why viewers of 24 hr news walk around angry all the time. Fox has perfected this. Watch Fox news some evening and you'll think the world is coming to an end. MSNBC will tell you that all conservatives are "racist idiots" and CNN will use a bunch of spiffy graphics to try to hypnotize you.

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    24 hr "news" isn't news. It's 24 hr "try to find something to talk about to keep people tuned in while commercials run". It's "shock" news. Everything is an "outrage". This is why viewers of 24 hr news walk around angry all the time. Fox has perfected this. Watch Fox news some evening and you'll think the world is coming to an end. MSNBC will tell you that all conservatives are "racist idiots" and CNN will use a bunch of spiffy graphics to try to hypnotize you.

Spot-on. And exactly why people think crimes rates are at an all-time high and still rising, when the facts reveal the opposite.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    You've been watching too much 24-hour news... :D

Maryland Crime Index Rates Per 100,000 Inhabitants

Year - Robbery - Assault
    2000 - 256.0 - 493.3
    2001 - 251.1 - 495.1
    2002 - 246.2 - 490.1
    2003 - 241.3 - 428.0
    2004 - 229.7 - 437.9
    2005 - 257.2 - 414.6
    2006 - 256.0 - 392.0
    2007 - 236.0 - 375.1
    2008 - 233.3 - 363.4
    2009 - 210.7 - 351.3
    2010 - 191.5 - 327.5

A spike around 2005, but since then a steady decline and a decline overall the last ten years.
    Possible that there was a big jump in 2011 or even this year, but the general trend is still downward.

Source: http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/mdcrime.htm

Maryland's own numbers showing a decrease in all crime in 2010:
    http://www.goccp.maryland.gov/msac/crime-statistics.php

Chart showing steady decline since 1996. I blame increased gun ownership. :D
    MD_TotalCrime.jpg

Take a closer look at rape and murder. The numbers are not at a drastically lower total. Total violent crime is not lower. It all depends on how you look at it and how many incidents are not reported or not documented.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    This same thing happened back in the 90s when Clinton was elected. Clinton never "came after our guns" and neither is Obama. There's many on the right that have a hyper sense of fear and tend to believe internet rumors when there's a (D) in the executive branch. The only people coming after our gun rights are those on the local level.

I think on some level sales go way up every time anything about guns are in the news. With this recent BS bill that was up for a vote in MD I bet sent 1000 people to buy guns. If it passed another 100,000 guns would be sold before it would have went into law in October. But we are lucky if failed to pass from the time running out on it.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Gun and ammo sales are running away lately. I see it as two fold; the ecomony is in the trash can and the idiot that is in office right now, no one trust him.

And because of all of that it is getting harder and harder to get a deal on a gun. Gun store owners are laughing all the way to the bank. I can't blame them. I would be doing the same thing if I were them. But the more that are sold the prices come down less often.

But hay, it makes the guns you do own worth much more.

Bigfoot21075

Ultimate Member
    Nov 3, 2008
    Elkridge, MD
    This same thing happened back in the 90s when Clinton was elected. Clinton never "came after our guns" and neither is Obama. There's many on the right that have a hyper sense of fear and tend to believe internet rumors when there's a (D) in the executive branch. The only people coming after our gun rights are those on the local level.

Ummm Fast and Furious - ever heard of it?

As mentioned Assault Weapons ban from Clinton?

Obama has never been pro gun, he will use his lame duck time to do everything he can to steam roll the second amendment. To think he won't is foolish.

Let's not forget this little statement

"During a March 30 meeting between Jim and Sarah Brady and White House Press Secretary Jay Carney, at which Obama “dropped in,” the president reportedly told Brady, “I just want you to know that we are working on it (gun control)….We have to go through a few processes, but under the radar.”

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    Take a closer look at rape and murder. The numbers are not at a drastically lower total. Total violent crime is not lower. It all depends on how you look at it and how many incidents are not reported or not documented.
    You said, and I quote, "Have you not heard the increase in robberies and assaults in our area?"
    I responded to what you said. Both numbers have gone down in the last decade. You can't spin that away.

Then you say look at rape and murder. Both of which are also down, but you try to spin it by saying they are not down "drastically". Down is down. You can't spin "down" to mean "up". Unless you are a politician. Or 24-hour "news" reporter. Are you either one? :D

We're on the same side, I bet. We both think guns in the hands of law-abiding citizens are a solution, not a problem.
    But if we want to convince other people, we have to use hard facts without spin.

Let's not forget this little statement
    "During a March 30 meeting between Jim and Sarah Brady and White House Press Secretary Jay Carney, at which Obama “dropped in,” the president reportedly told Brady, “I just want you to know that we are working on it (gun control)….We have to go through a few processes, but under the radar.”
    That would be pretty damning if true, so I went looking for the source.
    The source is a Washington Post article quoting Sarah Brady. Neither bastions of truth but certainly believable given the parties involved.

But it is that kind of story that has found me buying extra standard-capacity (incorrectly called "high capacity") magazines for my pistols and rifles. So a big part of my answer to the OP's question is "Obama".

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    Same here, always buy some magazines and some ammo whenever I see a free shipping deal etc. You never know when this again comes to a "supply" bottle neck whether because of panic purchases or because of legislative restrictions. As to what to buy, depends on what you have but typically 9MM, 45ACP and then popular rifle rounds such as 223/5.56 are the first to be gone from the shelves, also including 12GA.

JMangle

Handsome Engineer
    May 11, 2008
    Mississippi
    I get NRA updates in my email and a lot of them do try to invoke fear that Obama and the Dems are trying to take guns. I agree with others here that it'll never happen, it just makes it more expensive to stock up on ammo and find certain guns. Hopefully people will relax a little after the election.

They have an old anti-Obama add from 2008 that the NRA sent out about his "10 point plan to ban guns." Such as "He will close 90% of gun stores in 4 years."

I agree that the administration (particularly Holder) has been trying to do something similar, but they don't have that power.

Anywho, glad to see more people getting active. This is why I do everything I can to get new people shooting.

CPT Ethanolic

Gun Packing Liberal
    I get NRA updates in my email and a lot of them do try to invoke fear that Obama and the Dems are trying to take guns. I agree with others here that it'll never happen, it just makes it more expensive to stock up on ammo and find certain guns. Hopefully people will relax a little after the election.

This has always been my biggest issue with the NRA. I've always felt that they exaggerate the "they're going to take away our guns" story to increase donations to the NRA. I like having them there to fight the real battles to protect our rights, but it bothers me that they seem inclined to invent a lot of battles that don't actually exist.

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    This has always been my biggest issue with the NRA. I've always felt that they exaggerate the "they're going to take away our guns" story to increase donations to the NRA. I like having them there to fight the real battles to protect our rights, but it bothers me that they seem inclined to invent a lot of battles that don't actually exist.

Exactly the way I feel, and what kept me from joining them for years. How many other potential members has the over-the-top rhetoric cost them?

It's also why the SAF gets more money from me than the NRA does. (Which reminds me, I need to give some more to MSI! )

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland

I do not think anyone person or org should be creating fear when their is nothing to fear. However an org like the NRA does on some level fight for gun rights. The problem is, all to may gun people take the guns they own for granted and think they will always be their if they just sit back and do nothing.

All to many people that can afford to join org's like the NRA, MSI, SAF as well as others that fight for our rights, don't bother joining. They just let others do the fighting for them as they enjoy their guns that they would not have if it were not for org's like the NRA, MSI, & SAF.

I will also say that I bet their many people on this web site are very glad of the existence of the org's like NRA, MSI, & SAF and can afford to be a member to anyone if not all. But they do not spend a dime of their own money to join and help the org's that do fight for them.

In this world there are people that do the driving and there are people that just do the riding. Sometimes the NRA tries different tactics to maybe light a fire under some of the butts of the riders that also benefit from the work.

JMangle

Handsome Engineer
    May 11, 2008
    Mississippi
    I do not think anyone person or org should be creating fear when their is nothing to fear. However an org like the NRA does on some level fight for gun rights. The problem is, all to may gun people take the guns they own for granted and think they will always be their if they just sit back and do nothing.

All to many people that can afford to join org's like the NRA, MSI, SAF as well as others that fight for our rights, don't bother joining. They just let others do the fighting for them as they enjoy their guns that they would not have if it were not for org's like the NRA, MSI, & SAF.

I will also say that I bet their many people on this web site are very glad of the existence of the org's like NRA, MSI, & SAF and can afford to be a member to anyone if not all. But they do not spend a dime of their own money to join and help the org's that do fight for them.

In this world there are people that do the driving and there are people that just do the riding. Sometimes the NRA tries different tactics to maybe light a fire under some of the butts of the riders that also benefit from the work.

A lot (most) of gun-makers donate to the NRA. I just wish we could convince them to give to SAF.

I guess the panic that the NRA creates makes more money for the manufacturers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom