• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brucaru

Sep 14, 2011
    Long story short, question one about transferring purchase to another person was answered incorrectly be my friend. He says he misunderstood the question.
    Anyway the electronic form returns a denied. The guy at DSG store tells him he can not purchase from any DSG store for 30 days. He says the other guy at the counter says he is permanently denied in the state because it looks like he tried to make a straw purchase. I know the guy well and believe he just made a mistake and did not make an attempt for a straw purchase. What is the truth. Is there an appeal process if he is truly denied or does he just have to wait 30 days.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    He may want to contact the MSP licensing section and see if he can get it straightened out.

Oh, and he should send his dog to live with a relative for a while.
    Just in case.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    A little lesson to your friend AND to all here; READ AND UNDERSTAND the fuggin' questions BEFORE making a response. If you HAVE a question about a question on the form(s), ask the clerk for clarification.

If your "friend" was makin' a purchase to go deer huntin' this firearms season, he may have a li'l problem if he can't get a gun to do so.

brucaru

Sep 14, 2011
    So does this mean he is outta luck for thirty days or does he have enter some lengthy appeal process

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    If your "friend" can't focus on answering a SIMPLE written question on a very serious form that threatens prosecution for PERJURY, is your "friend" up to the task of focusing on responsible firearm ownership?

Seriously.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I have no problem calling someone stupid for not having the reading comprehension or smarts enough for a clarification before checking a box on an important form.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    He may want to contact the MSP licensing section and see if he can get it straightened out.

Just in case.

MSP won't have a good answer on the 4473, he needs to contact BATFE and get it sorted out/explained.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I don't see the point in berating the guy, mistakes happen. If you guys make it through your entire life without accidentally incorrectly checking a box on a form you're doing better than me!

brucaru

Sep 14, 2011
    I'll be sure to tell him that a lot members on this board thinks he is stupid. I know he already feels that way. In fact I told him in so many words myself.

So contacting BATF is his best/only bet?

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    I don't see the point in berating the guy, mistakes happen. If you guys make it through your entire life without accidentally incorrectly checking a box on a form you're doing better than me!

I agree - Shit happens and it is not the end of the world.

Hopefully he will learn from his mistake and move on.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Younger people have grown up with endless do-overs, make-up tests, "practice tests", open-book exams, time-outs, "extra time" to finish quizzes, Helicopter Moms to fix things, and a life with no real consequences--only constant second chances with no penalties or losses.

Eventually, these folks run into the wall called Real Life.

newq

101st Poptart Assault BSB
    Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    Man you guys are tough on him. I would suspect you all are perfect never ever to commit to something stupid. You really mean to tell me no one has any advice for the guy?

I would tell your friend to travel to one of our IP's to make a purchase. Explain the folly to the IP to see if the BATF even has him flagged. It maybe that the purchase was denied by the store not BATF and he will not be barred for the mistake as I am sure this happens more often then we think. Our IP's that I have been to, usually are smart enough run down the form and catch it before making the call. I have never answered wrong but have forgotten to sign or date or check a relevant box such as my collector status before. Luckily the ffl caught it and had me correct it prior to getting a denial.Then again missing an answer was not a DQ from owning either.

I know most Ip's on long gun purchases run down the list. They don't simply fax it off for approval, they make a call with your SSN and then get a response from the BATF. I think it is up to the dealer to deny him if he answered wrong not the BATF however I am not sure if the FFL is required to report the violation.

I could be wrong but I THINK this is the way it works. Dicks company policy is probably preventing him from trying again for 30 days.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland

Just in case.

4473 is NICs check.. Not msp..

Edit.. Dblas beats me to it.. :/

brucaru

Sep 14, 2011
    I would tell your friend to travel to one of our IP's to make a purchase. Explain the folly to the IP to see if the BATF even has him flagged. It maybe that the purchase was denied by the store not BATF and he will not be barred for the mistake as I am sure this happens more often then we think. Our IP's that I have been too usually are smart enough run down the form and catch it before making the call and atleast ask hey did you mean this or this?

I know most Ip's on long gun purchases run down the list. They don't simply fax it off for approval, they make a call with your info and then get a response from the BATF. I think it is up to the dealer to deny him if he answered wrong not the BATF to disqualify him.

I could be wrong but I THINK this is the way it works. Dicks company policy is probably preventing him from trying again for 30 days.

Thanks... this makes a lot of sense. I'll let him know about this as an option along with calling / writing the BATF

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    Yes it's a serious form for a serious process, however he may have been nervous or excited if it was his first 4473. When i did my first "on paper" purchase, my signature looked so bad from my shaking hand (excited, not nervous) they did a double take between my lisense and form.

brucaru

Sep 14, 2011
    Man you guys are tough on him. I would suspect you all are perfect never ever to commit to something stupid. You really mean to tell me no one has any advice for the guy?

I would tell your friend to travel to one of our IP's to make a purchase. Explain the folly to the IP to see if the BATF even has him flagged. It maybe that the purchase was denied by the store not BATF and he will not be barred for the mistake as I am sure this happens more often then we think. Our IP's that I have been to, usually are smart enough run down the form and catch it before making the call. I have never answered wrong but have forgotten to sign or date or check a relevant box such as my collector status before. Luckily the ffl caught it and had me correct it prior to getting a denial.Then again missing an answer was not a DQ from owning either.

I know most Ip's on long gun purchases run down the list. They don't simply fax it off for approval, they make a call with your SSN and then get a response from the BATF. I think it is up to the dealer to deny him if he answered wrong not the BATF however I am not sure if the FFL is required to report the violation.

Thanks for leaving the quotes of the word 'friend'. Sometimes people are to quick to make assumptions.

NormH3

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 31, 2011
    Delaware
    The last hand gun I bought, I answered 11a.."No". It had been a long day, and I just misread the question. My FFL caught the mistake and had me change my answer and initial. No big deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom