• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • apdbobby

Jun 12, 2013
    Easton
    M14 polytech is OK! what about other rifles that are M14 made by others not springfield?

How about the M1 30 carbine made by Kahr?

Thanks, I know this has been gone over but I don't really see an answer.:sad20:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The Polytech is a special case, because the threads on it are different and a lawyer submitted fairly compelling evidence of such.

IOW, you can make your case, but be damned sure it's complete and good before submitting to the MSP.

The M1 carbine is not banned unless it meets the copycat criteria (which is not the same as being a copy of something).

Feb 28, 2013
    I think the m1 carbine is banned if it has the folding stock. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Only if it also has a flash suppressor on it, per the "copycat" provision of the Firearms Stupidity Act of 2013.

Otherwise, snatch one up if you found a good one.:)

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    You can have an M14 if it's not a semi auto rifle. That means you can buy a pre-86 registered full auto. You can also buy an M14 stripped receiver to build into a pistol or registered SBR.

Feb 28, 2013
    You can have an M14 if it's not a semi auto rifle. That means you can buy a pre-86 registered full auto. You can also buy an M14 stripped receiver to build into a pistol or registered SBR.

Yep, and that right there is a perfect illustration of the stupidity of AWBs.

A rifle that actually IS a military issue rifle is perfectly OK to own, but the semi-auto that merely LOOKS like it is not.:rolleyes:

Only liberals are dumb enough to come up with this crap.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    You can also consider an M1 Garand converted to take M14 mags. It's not an M14, and it's not a BM59. If you do it to a Grade C receiver or a bad Rack Grade, no great loss.

http://shuffsparkerizing.com/services/mag-fed-garand/

You can also consider a pre-86 select fire BM59. They're not that expensive as far as full autos go, certainly cheaper than a real M14 or full auto M1A. Best part too is that they're MD legal. I want one someday, but not in MD.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=452580930

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    The Polytech is a special case, because the threads on it are different and a lawyer submitted fairly compelling evidence of such.

IOW, you can make your case, but be damned sure it's complete and good before submitting to the MSP.

The M1 carbine is not banned unless it meets the copycat criteria (which is not the same as being a copy of something).

Yup but my understanding from others on this board is you cant buy it and convert it to a GI bolt, which sucks because the polytech receiver is decent steel the bolt is potmetal.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Now what about converting the GI bolt to a Polytech? Is that doable?

Its doable, but Slingblade has indicated this would be making a regulated arm. I am not sure without having one infront of me to look at the parts, dimensions etc.

Then you have the general risk of misunderstandings with our friends at MSP.

gabe72

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2012
    sharpsburg
    There are two ways from my understanding, modify the bolt or modify the receiver, and i dont beleive the bolt is pot metal,there are some good articles out there about the polym14 and how some of poly bolt myths came about and part of the problem comes from shooting 308 instead of shooting 7.62 ive had 3 and they always shot great.

Feb 28, 2013
    Now what about converting the GI bolt to a Polytech? Is that doable?

A GI bolt won't fit a Polytech without doing a little machining to it, after which you may have created a situation where you'll have parts interchangeability with the M1A.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    A GI bolt won't fit a Polytech without doing a little machining to it, after which you may have created a situation where you'll have parts interchangeability with the M1A.

If you modify the M14 bolt (and leave the Polytech receiver intact), wouldn't it then be no more interchangeable with an M1A than a Polytech bolt?

Feb 28, 2013
    If you modify the M14 bolt (and leave the Polytech receiver intact), wouldn't it then be no more interchangeable with an M1A than a Polytech bolt?

The interchangeability of the bolt is all it takes to have manufactured a banned rifle.

But, seems to me if after you made one work in a Polytech, if it then would NOT work in an M1A, it should be fine.

jkeiler

Mar 25, 2013
    Bowie
    M14 polytech is OK! what about other rifles that are M14 made by others not springfield?

How about the M1 30 carbine made by Kahr?

Thanks, I know this has been gone over but I don't really see an answer.:sad20:

I'd think twice about the M1 Carbine by Kahr. I have one and have a love/hate relationship with it. Looks great, accurate, almost everyone who shoots it likes it a lot.

But it is very unreliable. Awful at first, better after about 500 rounds, and a new recoil spring. Front barrel band is weak and the metal in general seems to be pretty cheap, and hard to break down for cleaning too.

Picky with both magazines and ammo. Hard to seat some mags, especially if they are not new ones made by Kahr.

Comes with the GI sight issued originally, not the late war graduated sight--they say for authenticity, but I say because it is cheaper. You can buy a graduated sight from them later, which I did, and while better, is still incredibly stiff and hard to adjust. Also you need a sight removal tool to take the sight off and install a new one.

If you do some interweb research you'll see accounts from some who seem to have no problems, and others who have experiences like mine. Seems very hit/miss which doesn't say much for quality control.

On the plus side they are easy to get and half what you'd pay for an original, but if I had to do it over again, I wouldn't.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    The interchangeability of the bolt is all it takes to have manufactured a banned rifle.

But, seems to me if after you made one work in a Polytech, if it then would NOT work in an M1A, it should be fine.

This is one I would love to get more detail on. I still see myself snagging a poly if one comes and deal with the details when I get to a free state.

Xander

Dec 6, 2010

Modifying the bolt alone will not make a Poly into a copy of an M1A. There are other parts that do not interchange - such as the gas plug. To be clear, a Polytech M14s with a modified GI bolt or modified to accept a GI bolt is NOT a copy of a banned rifle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom