• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    When I hit the range or do any competition shooting, if I wear ear plugs I can shoot just fine, but when I wear muffs my targets look like someone used buck shot at 50+ yards on it. I could just use ear plugs, but some indoor ranges (NRA) allow real rifle shooting and I want to double up on the hearing protection. Does anyone else have this problem and how did you fix it?

ROBAR35

Living the farm life
    May 20, 2010
    Howard Co.
    More than likely the muffs are screwing up your cheek weld. I had a custom molded set of ear plugs made and they turned out to be one of those things you wonder how you made it with out before you got them.:thumbsup:

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    If rifle then what is stated above.

Pistol..... ? Maybe if your glasses are prescription then when the muffs go down on the ear pieces moving your glasses a little?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I forgot to put, I don't use muffs with long guns since they screw up my cheek weld. It's my pistol shooting that really falls apart with the muffs on.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Get a larger set of earmuffs, Most of us have thought your getting squeezed between the ears to hard.

Jokes aside, Curious myself to what would cause this. Maybe new glasses ? Is it all pistols ?

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    You're probably using a quartering away stance --- though I'm not sure about your pistol stance --- but with a rifle or a shotgun: Have a front forward football player's type of stance. A little of quartering away is not to bad...just square up your stance some. Bring up the long gun out in front some, in order to keep it from snagging on your clothing; then bring it in straight to your shoulder pocket. Have your head in the shooting/firing position when the gun comes up. Do not move your head down to the cheek weld, when the gun comes up.

Shoulders forward...knees slightly bent and most of your weight on the balls of your feet.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I wear either prescription glasses or contacts when shooting. I'm thinking now I don't wear the muffs that often, it's just when they're either needed for doubling up or when I forget my ear plugs. I think it's possible the muffs move the prescription or safety glasses while I'm shooting. The only times it matters are when I'm testing new loads or trying to hit those 6" plates farther than 15 yards. I'm going to try an experiment next time I'm at the range, with and without muffs and see what happens. I can't help the prescription glasses, but maybe better safety glasses are in order.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Same thing happen when you wear contacts? I would bet your muffs are causing you to not look through the center of your glasses as you would wearing them normally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom