Was gonna move to PA, but it fell through. BATFE wants another form 20 though.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008

Last edited:

fleaman64

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2011
    So I had a contract on a house in PA. Sent in the 5320.20 by fax and got it back in what must have been record time. (+1 for BATFE I guess)

Unfortunately, the owner of the house in PA was a f**kwad and the deal fell through. So I ended up moving from my townhouse in Baltimore County out to a "rental" house in Dorchester County.

I called BATFE and asked them how to proceed. They told me to write CANCELLED on the form 20 and send it back to them...makes sense.

The weird thing is that they advised me to fill out another Form 20 showing my new address in MD. I'm assuming that this is just so their records get corrected, but since I didn't move out-of-state, I'm a little nervous about submitting a Form 20.

Last thing I want to happen is for them to flag it as an "AR15 coming into Maryland" by mistake. So I made sure to emphasize that the rifle was only being transported in the state where it was originally made.

I also noted the situation on the new Form 20. My impression is that the phone-answerers aren't the actual examiners and that once it gets to someone who cares, they will be able to figure out what happened.

Anyone ever use a form 5320.20 for transfers WITHIN Maryland??

Why would you inform them of a change of address before moving? Just curious.

Wendigo

Hungry
    Mar 31, 2013
    Reisterstown
    You should be fine either way as far as MD laws go. Even if you did actually move to PA and back, if you owned the ar15 before 10/1 it would be grandfathered. I'm guessing it's an SBR since you're talking about nfa, so it wouldn't be covered by the ban anyway and it should be transferable in MD. Also, why would the ATF have anything to do with MD law? They're generally only interested in federal law.

fleaman64

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2011
    Need permission from ATF to move some things Interstate.

5320.20 = "Application to Transport Interstate"

Before or after the move? I thought it was just a notification process as long as you are moving to another NFA friendly state. What authority do they have to deny this?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Before or after the move? I thought it was just a notification process as long as you are moving to another NFA friendly state. What authority do they have to deny this?

Before and you NEED approval before doing so. They check to make sure the destination is a legal option.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    OP where in Dorchester?? I've got a range out here near hurlock........sorry can't help on your ? though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom