• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    Anyone into this or know of someone/someplace. I'm trying to have new windshield brackets made for my bike. I have a cardboard template. I want them made out of 1/8" stainless. I need to find someone with a laser cutter that doesn't charge ridiculous rates. thanks

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Can't help you with that job.

But the other day I pulled up next to a work-truck that said 'fabrication & erection'. My wife kept staring at the passenger door of the truck with a puzzled look and wondered about the nature of the business they were in (she is not blond, just never had any exposure to the construction trades).

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

But the other day I pulled up next to a work-truck that said 'fabrication & erection'. My wife kept staring at the passenger door of the truck with a puzzled look and wondered about the nature of the business they were in (she is not blond, just never had any exposure to the construction trades).

I'm sure you could help her with at least half of that....:innocent0

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Anyone into this or know of someone/someplace. I'm trying to have new windshield brackets made for my bike. I have a cardboard template. I want them made out of 1/8" stainless. I need to find someone with a laser cutter that doesn't charge ridiculous rates. thanks

Equipment & tooling is expensive and you can't pay for it by doing cheap work or reducing production on more lucrative work in order to make brackets for a bike. A lot of times the high price you're quoted isn't to make money off of you but rather to get you to walk back through the door you just came in.

It may take you a while to find someone willing to do what you want, the way you want, and for the price you want. You may want to consider alternate sources or throw a little time and elbow grease at it by attempting to make your own. (May not be cut with a laser but you'll get your brackets and gain a little skill by the time you're done.)

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Pro Stainless in Keyser, WV.

304-788-5041

The owner is a biker. They do great work, primarily foodservice equipment fab (sinks, tables, exhaust hoods) but they can do anything.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    If you have a cardboard template, then making a set should be fairly straight forward.

SpeedyMetals.com has all the materials you'll need.

A heavy vise on a workbench would allow you to hold the material at the angles you need and then pound away with a mallet. A little MAP gas would soften the steel just enough to aid in bending it. Drills some holes and you're golden.

Good luck with the project.

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    I may have to go that route. Plasma isn't a very clean cut. Or I may just use regular steel and make them myself.

ADR, my business involves expensive tooling as well but I can't (or maybe I don't) pick and choose my jobs/customers. These places obviously weren't built to make easy brackets but why try to gouge? I guess I have a different mindset. I generally never turn anyone away. You never know what may come of it.

I'll check out Pro Stainless. Thanks

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    Raider. Yamaha.
    Here's what I'm looking to make.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      83.4 KB · Views: 237

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    The problem is the windshield follows the rake so it doesn't work. The wind tries to rip my helmet off. I switched bars as well so that complicates things a little.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Band saw, belt sander, and drill press. Any sheet metal/fabrication shop can do that for you. Shouldn't cost too much either. Less than an hours worth of work.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana

They were Ironworkers, There shop can fabricate the steel needed for the building / structure frame and they also can assemble ( erection ) the building frame onsite.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Having seen the pic you could do that yourself with a plasma cutter, 80 grit red wheel or flapper wheel and a wire brush mounted in a cordless drill to clean the brown off.

Maroon or green Scotchbrite will get the brown off but a wire brush is quicker.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    You could do it by hand but stainless is pretty miserable to work with, especially once you work harden a hole you are trying to drill.

Polished aluminum on the other hand...

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Have you checked with National Jet in Lavale. There is also a metal shop in Mexico Farms, but I'm drawing a blank on their name right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom