• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Winterskies

Jan 3, 2015
    Just waiting on the physical card. Pretty much set on getting a 1911 and something in 9mm for capacity and lower cost of ammo.

The 1911 I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a Sig. The problem is picking a 9mm.

I've considered getting a 1911 9mm which would be good practice for the 1911 (never owned a 1911) since i've been a 9mm/40SW semi auto guy in the past.

I figure with enough practice It shouldn't be an issue switching between a 1911 and standard DA/SA or even a striker 9mm. The capactiy is to much to give up on your non 1911 9mms in my opinion.

Trying to make up my mind between

Glock 17 (low price point )
    CZ 75 (steel supposedly very accurate)
    Sig 226 (proven, steel)
    Walther PPQ (low price point, supposedly good point and shoot and nice trigger)

Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Steel 9mm? CZ SP-01. Total pussycat. Much better trigger compared to an out of the box CZ 75.

9mm 1911 is one of my favorite guns; mine is a Dan Wesson and I thought it was rather pricey for what it is. Damn accurate though. Not the route I recommend for most people despite 9mm 1911 is truly a real pussycat.

Winterskies

Jan 3, 2015
    What's the budget and what features are most important to you?

Budget is under 1000 but most of the guns 700-1000 don't seem to impress me that much more than the 600-700 range in 9mm.

Dependability
    Accuracy
    Capacity

I think my list of maybe's covers all of them. I have small hands so the choice for a 1911 and the midsize 9mms. I was actually thinking about the Sig P320 but the fullsize was the only one I tried at a LGS and it seemed a tad to fat for my liking.

About the SP-01 I guess I should do more reading on it. Most of the review I found were for the CZ 75.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I also have smaller hands and really love my CZ P-01. It's a 75 compact and can be had with a safety or decocker. You can also buy a Kadet .22 cal adapter for it. The Gun Shop in Essex ordered mine at a very good price and I understand 2A Sales is stocking CZ's. TThey are excellent guns all around.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    SP-01 is mechanically similar to the CZ75; I don't know the guns well enough to say they're the same, but it's basically an updated frame with rail. All the SP01 I've played with had better triggers than their 75 brothers. Affordable, reliable steel IMO. With thin grips it's very ergonomic.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    If you have smaller hands, try and find an HK VP9. It has a modular grip that can be adjusted on all sides. Also hard to go wrong with a Glock 19.

Winterskies

Jan 3, 2015
    Is the the 19 accurate compared to the 17. I kinda went right by it cause I felt I would give up accuracy. Even pondered the 34

The Hk seems like something to check out.

mikebalt

Nov 4, 2014
    Catonsville, MD
    as already stated vp-9. I have smaller hands and love mine - the grip has 27 different combinations.

I have let others on MDS shoot it if you are in the Baltimoreish area feel free to contact me and we can set something up

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    You are thinking about the correct guns. Rent/borrow to see which fits your hands and eyes.

No one can pick for you.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Where are you located? We have a VP9, carry sized p320, and a few flavors of Glock 19 (Vickers, gen 3, gen4) in stock ATM if you wanted to get your paws on one.

We do also have a full size Sig 1911 in stock, though I am partial to the Springfield Armory Range Officer at that price point (also in stock).

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Stick with a CZ as mentioned here and consider a CZ 97B, which is their 1911 .45 model. I own a least six CZs and all are great. Stay away from Glock. I like the SA SD-9, too. Also added a Sig Scorpian last year and like it.

Lew--Ranger63

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Your list looks a lot like mine, with the addition of the Glock. It's there on my list too, kinda, but I'm not sure I can bring myself to get one.

A pistol you should consider adding to the list is the Sig sp2022. Some say it's the bastard child of the Sig lineup, but the reviews on it these days are overwhelmingly positive. Bear in mind in your reading about it, there were some issues with it in the 2009-2012 timeframe, but from what I can see, Sig addressed those and the sp2022s coming off the line now are tack drivers that will eat just about any kind of ammo.

I finally got to glom all over one last weekend - they had one in the case at On Target, and I really liked what I saw. It's a DA/SA, polymer framed, hammer fired pistol with pretty nice ergos that falls at the same price point as the PPQ and the Glock. There are some reviews of this pistol where people who have both a p226 and the sp2022 actually prefer the sp2022 - the trigger is supposedly very good, and they like it because it's a lighter weight pistol.

I have a Walther P99 in .40 S&W. It's a nice pistol with nice ergos, and shoots pretty accurately. I have the QA (Quick Action) trigger on mine - not really something I chose as much as I got a very good deal on the pistol when it came up on the Classifieds. For me that pistol satisfied a number of criteria:

1.) Polymer framed, striker fired pistol
    2.) .40 S&W - I just had to get my own "fo-dy"
    3.) 007 James Bond! (In more modern 007 movies, James Bond started carrying one - I think that he's used the PPQ as well.) For me there was a certain cool factor to the P99 because of the James Bond connection.

I've looked at the CZ-75 pistols, and I'm intrigued, especially by the aluminum framed P-01 model. It has a seriously low bore axis, which from what I've read makes recoil very controllable. It also looks badass, and lets be serious - a badass looking pistol matters for some of us. :D In any case, it has a forged alloy frame, which lightens it up some. It's more money than the other options, but it might just be the best pistol of the bunch. There are some who don't like the long curved trigger of the CZ-75, but that seems to be a rarity - most people who own them speak of their CZ-75s like they are the cat's pajamas.

Good luck shopping!

rtruhn

Sep 12, 2013
    Gwynn Oak
    Shameless plug - I have a P229 on offer in the classifieds. It's a bit more forgiving, grip-size wise, than the 226, IMO.

In addition, I am picking up a VP9 and G17 this week, and have a G19 already. Happy to let you try any/all at a range if geography works out for you.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I have the striker fired Springfield XD subcompact in 9mm. Nice gun. I also fired an XD 9mm...also nice. On the other hand, you have been presented with other good choices. get something like that, but then get a 1911 in 45 acp. 45 isn't as cheap as 9mm...but it can also be found fairly inexpensive.

Winterskies

Jan 3, 2015
    Mikebalt: I'll go look at the vp-9 again and the dimensions of the grip setups. The lines on the grip to slide seemed a little odd to me but I'll see what holding it feels like hopefully somewhere.

NateIU10: I'm in Columbia I could putz over since you have two of the models i've never held.

Trickg: I didn't want to like the CZ's but the more I read on them the better they started looking :)

Rtruhn: I've had a 229 .40 in the past I shot it well but some of the other guns actually feel more natural in my hands. Nice setup you have on yours but are those kits as accurate as they were out of the box as single caliber set up?

giggity: That glock 34 just might make on my list I have to think....

TomsinMD: the 1000 budget was for a 9mm. But most of the ones on my list fall well below that probably the confusion.

Thanks guys for your input helps me think things through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom