Safest and Best way to carry when driving thru...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jan 13, 2015
    Maryland?

I travel around a lot and will eventually make way way through your fair state. I was wondering if it would be best to have a CCW from a state other than my own (Arizona looks promising, and Virginia has some ads out) which would NOT be attached in any way to my own state driver's license? Then I could LEGALLY confine my weapons and ammo separately sequestered in say the trunk and an under-seat gun safe, or whatever MD requires?

There has to be a way to avoid confiscation while driving through Maryland!

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I'd lock gun in one case and ammo in another in different parts of the car. As long as you are obeying FOPA "shouldn't" be a problem. DON"T volunteer a CCW from any state.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Do not even mention any CCW. Make sure a LEO doesn't glimpse it. I keep mine in a separate part of my wallet.

You should be just fine by following FOPA. Unloaded guns locked and inaccessable, ammunition likewise separate. To be safest, unload the magazines.

None of that is necessary if you don't get pulled over, of course. If you are pulled over, don't volunteer anything.

I don't understand the last part of your post
    ...Then I could LEGALLY confine...
    . FOPA has nothing to do with having a second permit.

Any tinfoil hat stuff you hear about databases linking your license and your CCW are almost certainly internet paranoia, I believe. And if were true, having a second CCW wouldn't change anything.

Just don't get pulled over. Drive like a Marylander. Get in the left lane and set your cruise control to 3 mph below the speed limit. When the light turns green, count slowly to ten before proceeding. On two lane roads, stay at least 5 mph below the speed limit, until you rerach a passing zone. Then accelerate to ten mph over the limit.

I wouldn't worry about it much. The chances you'll have a problem are infinitesimally small.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Do not get cute on FOPA. Lock the gun lock the ammo. Do not have loaded mags.

I know its more than the letter of the law requires ..who cares.

Do not "print". If it looks like a gun case,it may get more attention. If it looks like a gym bag..not so much.

Cover up.

If you have gun related stickers ..so be it..but less is more here.

Now its a matter of goals.. are you trying to prove that a gun sticker is not PC for a seach? Or are trying to avoid the entire issue?

You will most likely have no issue in any case..but if it helps you piece of mind..stealth is stealth..

Last edited:

Bald Fat Guy

Oct 7, 2014
    Most importantly , on your journies, be sure to pass THROUGH maryland.

Despite how we feel about our laws and many of our politicians there are lots of senic and historical wonders here, but stopping would remove you from FOPA to the Md rules.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Most importantly , on your journies, be sure to pass THROUGH maryland.

Despite how we feel about our laws and many of our politicians there are lots of senic and historical wonders here, but stopping would remove you from FOPA to the Md rules.

Renting a hotel room does not remove you from FOPA since a hotel room becomes your "residence" for the time you are there.

But don't stop for a few hours sightseeing someplace for sure.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    Just don't get pulled over. Drive like a Marylander. Get in the left lane and set your cruise control to 3 mph below the speed limit. When the light turns green, count slowly to ten before proceeding. On two lane roads, stay at least 5 mph below the speed limit, until you reach a passing zone. Then accelerate to ten mph over the limit.

So very true!! That's one of my pet peeves driving around here. I'd add that a corollary is actually a decision point:

-- If the passing lane is clear, speed up to 10 mph above the speed limit.
    -- If the passing lane is obstructed, continue at 5 mph below the speed limit.

And sorry for the thread-jack.

JoeR

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Renting a hotel room does not remove you from FOPA since a hotel room becomes your "residence" for the time you are there.

But don't stop for a few hours sightseeing someplace for sure.

Ah well in NYC And NJ an overnight stay is problematic because you are not allowed to have guns in your residence without a permit..

Stay the hell out of NYC NJ and likely NYS as. Well.

In MD its interesting.. you could I guess stay overnight or more as long as the guns were in the hotel for easy access by thieves while you were out sightseeing... ;)

Amazing..

Anyway my best answer is to travel though Md by way of PA and west virgina :)

I find I make better time bypassing 95 even if I add 150 miles. Go figure ;)

Jan 13, 2015
    Excellent Stuff, Folks!

In my home state it is commonly believed the CCW is flagged to the DL... maybe, maybe not. So many people will slap a glock sticker on a bumper and forget it's there, then wonder why police are wary. My personal rule is "gray man" and less is more. I always grab the wheel @ 10 and 2 and wait for the officer to ask for DL and registration. If you follow the common sense rules, these stops go much more smoothly.
    I knew I'd get the best info going to the source:thumbsup:

Jan 13, 2015
    We know that overnight is a stop..but... is there any further guidance on that. Fuel food etc.

It would be good know this if its not sensitive information of course..;)

A stop is possible, depends on the business plan...
    Going around seeking work and the like. Signing Books (union thing)

MD would be a better base than NYC/Joisy :rolleyes:

Jan 13, 2015
    I don't understand the last part of your post . FOPA has nothing to do with having a second permit.

Any tinfoil hat stuff you hear about databases linking your license and your CCW are almost certainly internet paranoia, I believe. And if were true, having a second CCW wouldn't change anything.

Never said a "second permit".
    I was saying a separate permit from another reciprocal state would surely not be tied to the DL, whether your own state's CCW and DL are tied or not. But we all know the technology would make it a (relatively) simple thing, for sure. The hard part is getting bureaucrats to cooperate and agree on who is going to pay the bills :D

Even NSA compiling data does not mean it is available to the officer on the beat! I'm really thinking more long term with this idea, remote CCW...

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Unload gun before entering MD. Put gun in case, preferably locked. Put case in trunk. Problem solved. I'd recommend tossing a few targets and a pair of earplugs in the case as well.

HankR

Ultimate Member
    Jan 22, 2013
    Upper Midwest
    I still have family in MD, and end up going back there every 4-5 years.

Is "ammo separate from gun" an FOPA requirement or just a MD "interpretation"? I have one locking container bolted under my truck seat. Common sense would have me put the gun and the ammo in that container (thinking more about theft than MD law).

Does the ammo have to be locked up? On a recent trip (not through MD, thank heavens) I had the .357 revolver and associated ammo in the lock-box, but then had some boxes of 9mm and .38 under the seat (w/ no 9mm gun in the truck).

If I had gone into MD, would the .38 special ammo been a problem (since I had a gun that would fire that)? I'm assuming you can carry ammo home if you don't have a gun in the vehicle, and the 9mm would have been legit for that reason?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    MD would be a better base than NYC/Joisy :rolleyes:

True, so very true. But Pennsylvania or Virginia would probably make a better base than Maryland.

I was saying a separate permit from another reciprocal state would surely not be tied to the DL, whether your own state's CCW and DL are tied or not. ...

But if your home state permit is tied to your license, then that information would come up, even if you left that permit at home. A separate permit wouldn't remove the information from your file (which no doubt is already bulging.)

I really doubt that information would come up, though.

It's a shame you have to be so wary, because, aside from the congested I-95 corridor, Maryland really is a beautiful and interesting state.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I was saying a separate permit from another reciprocal state would surely not be tied to the DL, whether your own state's CCW and DL are tied or not. But we all know the technology would make it a (relatively) simple thing, for sure. The hard part is getting bureaucrats to cooperate and agree on who is going to pay the bills :D

Even NSA compiling data does not mean it is available to the officer on the beat! I'm really thinking more long term with this idea, remote CCW...

MD has no reciprocity. Other states permits mean nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom