• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeRight

Jul 19, 2012
    Spoke with an out of state gun dealer today and they indicated that a spent casing was no longer required in New York and was surprised to hear that MD still had this requirement.

2 questions:

1. Since I haven't purchased a handgun-yet - anyone know if our local FFLs who provide this service clean the gun first or just fire away?

2. Any local political effort taking place to get this law deleted?

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Yes, you wouldn't receive shell casings... they get sent to MSP by your FFL. At one point the promise was that casing records would help track guns and solve crimes. But after significant cost to the state for putting them into a database, the conclusion was they were barely effective and not worth the effort. So while the law in MD stands, nothing is done with the casings these days but they still have to be submitted with new handguns.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The State Police begged the legislature to repeal the law, because it was a huge, pointless hassle for them, and they got no funding to administer it.

So they took to tossing all the cases in big blue plastic barrels. Supposedly there's a warehouse somewhere full of blue plastic barrels filled with unsorted, unrecorded spent cases.

It's for the children.

BeRight

Jul 19, 2012
    It is even more amazing to me that our great american politics might require all semi-auto handguns to micro-stamp the casing.

Curious as to cost increase per handgun.

walstib

Jul 4, 2010
    havre de grace
    when ever i order a new hand gun from out of state dealer on gunbroker.com, i always ask some do some dont come with them. i buy the ones that do or are willing to pay themselves without delay in shipping. i havn't been turned down yet if they don't need my money plenty of ffl's do. a happy customer will tell 3 people good things an unhappy customer will tell everyone they meet bad things for the next 3 mounths.profit is based on repeat biusness.
    sorry guys bad day heard from ex's lawyer today

M.R.E. meals rejected by enemy

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    The State Police begged the legislature to repeal the law, because it was a huge, pointless hassle for them, and they got no funding to administer it.

So they took to tossing all the cases in big blue plastic barrels. Supposedly there's a warehouse somewhere full of blue plastic barrels filled with unsorted, unrecorded spent cases.

It's for the children.

Scrap brass is bringing good prices these days...............:sad20:

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    A) It's one round
    B) You don't clean a new gun before its first session, anyway?

You should definitely clean a new gun before shooting it for the first time. The factory usually applies some type of thick grease/preservative that should be cleaned off and replaced with actual CLP or gun oil.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    You should definitely clean a new gun before shooting it for the first time. The factory usually applies some type of thick grease/preservative that should be cleaned off and replaced with actual CLP or gun oil.

Not to mention the possibility of a barrel obstruction. I had a rifle come from the factory (sealed in the box) with a barrel obstruction. :mad54: It looked like a small piece of a zip tie and it was in the barrel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom