• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    with a simple question: What was your first knife?

Mine was a small black plastic handle lockback that was sold from a loose container at a B&M local pharmacy when I was a kid. I don't remember the brand. What I do remember is how awesome my friends and I felt having each bought one after a few weeks of saving. Running around the woods with the knives and flashlights at night. Great memories. Lots of fun.

Nobody cared that you were a kid buying a folding knife then.

:thumbsup:

DoormanTNT

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    WOW, that question just brought back some memories.

I don't remember the first, but remember the important ones.
    First was probably the "extra" kitchen knife I ran around with for bout a year....LOL.

But once I got the Buck 110 at right bout 7, I havent looked back. And have always had a decent blade on me at all times. I have replaced that knife over the years, but I still have it...is well worn, abused at times, but still have it.

TNT

Rem700fan

Ammo Disposal Expert
    Jul 11, 2012
    Eastern Panhandle, WV
    My first was a Christmas present from an Aunt & Uncle at about the age of 10 or 11. An official Boy Scout knife with the knife blade, screw driver/bottle opener comb, a punch,etc. I have carried some type of blade from then until now. Of course back then you could even carry in school. Still have it in my top dresser drawer. Thanks RaVis for bringing back the memories.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    Busch Gardens 1972, 8 years old. Must have been just Dad and me in the gift shop, and I talked him into buying me this small folder with a fake bone handle and a small pewter parrot on the handle.

Good memory!

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    I was about 8 and would like to explore the neighborhood(today my parents would be arrested for allowing such a horrible thing!), they were building new houses and I found my first knife on the ground at one of the construction sites.
    It was a cheap copy of a Buck 110 lockback which for any 8 year old boy is one of the coolest things ever to find and I've loved knives ever since.
    One thing I'm proud of is I've sold many kids their first knife at various shows.

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    Great thread! A few minutes of googling brought back a flood of memories...

I was ten years old and had saved up what I thought was a small fortune. Asked my dad if we could go to the knife store and he said yes... $3.95 later I had this baby:

il_570xN.82359041.jpg

Not a pic of mine, she's long gone. I promptly went home and stabbed a tree and the blade closed on the fleshy part of my hand between my thumb and forefinger leaving me with a nice gash. I dressed it and hid it from my parents knowing I would lose the knife if they found out.

That knife graced my pocket until I was nearly 18... I miss her...

cb51

I saved up my money a nickle and dine at a time, and rode my bicycle down to Sunny's Surplus in Silver Spring. I bought a German Mercator 'cat knife' for all of a dollar. This was about 1962 about 11 years old.

That old lock blade took a lot of punishment, being thrown at trees, and what ever. It actually held up a few years of boyhood abuse. To this day, my favorite knife is some kind of single blade locker.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Mine was a small folding pen-knife bought for me at age 8 or 9 from a gift shop in Gettysburg. It was followed pretty quickly by an old Boy Scout knife from my father with black grips that I think had a large blade, a small blade and a leather punch. The first one I bought for myself was an Olive Drab Buck "ultralight" that I bought at about 12 and still have.

Rattlesnake46319

Curmidget
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    First knife was a Victorinox Swiss Army pen knife that Dad bought me when I was 7-8. When I proved I could handle that one, I was given my grandfather's Swiss Army knife. The pen knife is long gone, but Grandpa's knife has traveled with me everywhere I've been in the past 24 years.

capman98

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2011
    Mt. Airy maryland
    My first one was an "old timer" my grand father gave me when I was 7 i guess. I spent alot of time on his farm and that thing got abused to the max lol. a few years later when I was old enough to hunt he gave me one of his older Buck types. When he passed I got some of his collection including one that a cousin made that was really nice. Now my oldest son is 10 and I gave him one simalar to my first.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Standard buck 110, opened my first deer with it and then later on down the road broke the tip. Not really a fan of buck knives but I ink it's still floating around my parents house somewhere

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Camp King, the Boyscout type knife with the can/bottle opener.....
    I opened the knife blade, then opened the can opener and my finger slipped and I cut my finger on the knife blade. Bled pretty good, I was younger then, so I guess it was a lot of blood. My Father took my knife and removed the sharp edge on the concrete steps and gave it back.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Yup, that's the Boy Scout knife I was trying to remember. 99% sure that mine was a Camulus

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom