• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Windsors

Apr 20, 2012
    Kingsville, MD
    My Sig 556Xi R (7.62 X39) will be arriving neutered so I need to get a comp or brake.

The problem is that the barrel is threaded 1/2" X 28, not the normal 5/8" X 24 for most .30 cal barrels.

I want something light, short and small in diameter and not obnoxiously loud.

I found this one that is available in 30 cal with 1/2" X 28 threads-

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...uzzle-brakes/quiet-muzzle-brake-prod6669.aspx

Reviews are mixed though.

I could get a thread adaptor to get up to 5/8" X 24, but the ones that are removable with a wrench are a little unsightly.

Any suggestions ?

I may go with a thread protector until I come up with something.

Thanks

Windsors

Apr 20, 2012
    Kingsville, MD
    I wont have the rifle from Gary at High Rock Outfitters until next week or so, so I cant check, but a guy on Sigtalk said it was definitely 1/2" X 28.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Of the ones we've had come through, I know at least a few got 5/8x24 Griffin Comps. I have a few pistols at the shop I can check, but I'm not in until Tuesday.

Windsors

Apr 20, 2012
    Kingsville, MD
    Snallygaster and all others- Thanks. Just shows you cant believe everything you read on the interweb.

That really opens up the options.

Snallygaster - how do you like yours ? Accuracy ? How do you like the troy claymore ?

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Snallygaster and all others- Thanks. Just shows you cant believe everything you read on the interweb.

That really opens up the options.

Snallygaster - how do you like yours ? Accuracy ? How do you like the troy claymore ?

If you're looking to reduce recoil, I don't think it works too well, but recoil isn't much to begin with. I do like the fact that all of the flash and noise is pointed downrange, so from the shooters perspective (and for the guy in the next lane) it works great! Looks are subjective, but I like the way it looks. Just as an FYI, it does shift POI a bit, so you will want to adjust your optic after installing. Once it's sighted-in, it shoots consistently to POA.

So, overall, no complaints and it seems well made.

Windsors

Apr 20, 2012
    Kingsville, MD
    Snallygaster- Thanks. Not looking for recoil reduction. Would have been happy with the flash hider that it will ship with, but that's not an option.

Really just something small.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    If it's both, then it's not an option for new guns.

The ATF doesn't classify the PWS brake as a suppressor. This is what the SCAR uses, so a dealer should be able to chime in and confirm if it's kosher.

FWIW, I have one mounted on my SIG 556. It's an excellent brake, but a marginal suppressor.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    The ATF doesn't classify the PWS brake as a suppressor. This is what the SCAR uses, so a dealer should be able to chime in and confirm if it's kosher.

FWIW, I have one mounted on my SIG 556. It's an excellent brake, but a marginal suppressor.

Having just picked up a SCAR, I was not able to take possession of it with the PWS brake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom