• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nabla

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 17, 2013
    Baltimore City
    Hi all! I have a few questions regarding purchasing C&R eligible firearms. (Assume all the firearms I am talking about here are C&R eligible.) I have my C&R license, HQL, and MD DL (I do NOT have MD Collectors License...yet!). I'm also new to MD, so please bear with me! Thanks

So I was thinking about attending an auction up in PA next weekend, looking for some C&R finds. I understand it would be perfectly legal to purchase multiple non-regulated C&R firearms and have them shipped to my location by the FFL in PA (as long as s/he is willing). However, could I just transfer them there in PA to myself after purchasing? Would there be a wait time? I'd suppose I would be obtaining the firearms from an FFL, so I would need to fill out a 4473 and that would necessitate the 7-day wait period.

Now, I have similar questions if the firearms are regulated (handguns). Can I purchase multiple handguns and have them shipped to my location by the FFL in PA (assuming s/he is willing)? Or do I need a MD Collector's License if I want to purchase multiple (I thought the CL was only for MD intrastate purchases?)? In addition to a 4473, would the FFL also have to fill out a 3310? If I wanted, could I transfer these firearms to myself in PA instead of shipping them to MD? Do I need my HQL at all for these kind of purchases?

And one last question, would any of this change if I somehow hear back from the MSP this week regarding the approval of my MD Collectors License?

Thank you for your patience! I really appreciate it.:)

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Hi all! I have a few questions regarding purchasing C&R eligible firearms. (Assume all the firearms I am talking about here are C&R eligible.) I have my C&R license, HQL, and MD DL (I do NOT have MD Collectors License...yet!). I'm also new to MD, so please bear with me! Thanks

So I was thinking about attending an auction up in PA next weekend, looking for some C&R finds. I understand it would be perfectly legal to purchase multiple non-regulated C&R firearms and have them shipped to my location by the FFL in PA (as long as s/he is willing). However, could I just transfer them there in PA to myself after purchasing? Would there be a wait time? I'd suppose I would be obtaining the firearms from an FFL, so I would need to fill out a 4473 and that would necessitate the 7-day wait period.

Now, I have similar questions if the firearms are regulated (handguns). Can I purchase multiple handguns and have them shipped to my location by the FFL in PA (assuming s/he is willing)? Or do I need a MD Collector's License if I want to purchase multiple (I thought the CL was only for MD intrastate purchases?)? In addition to a 4473, would the FFL also have to fill out a 3310? If I wanted, could I transfer these firearms to myself in PA instead of shipping them to MD? Do I need my HQL at all for these kind of purchases?

And one last question, would any of this change if I somehow hear back from the MSP this week regarding the approval of my MD Collectors License?

Thank you for your patience! I really appreciate it.:)

With a C&R you can simply pick them up at the point of sale as long as you are out-of-State. You do not need a HQL (C&R specifically exempt), and do not need a collector's letter. Have fun!

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I would make sure before the auction starts if they are willing to transfer firearms directly to you because you have an FFL03.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    You may want to clarify with the auction house first that they will accept your C&R FFL for C&R qualified firearms, even though it is perfectly legal some will not accept it, same with gunshops.

Nabla

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 17, 2013
    Baltimore City
    Thanks! I've talked with the auction house and they said they honor C&R, however, they weren't completely sure about shipping to MD (they cited New Jersey as having issues with C&R). Does MD have any special restrictions on importing regulated or non-regulated C&R into the state? Sorry for all the questions, I haven't lived here for that long! Thanks!! :)

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    The only restriction you would have to worry about concerns magazine over 10 rounds, which they would not be able to ship to you in MD (but you can acquire them out of state and bring them back in legally - if you're thinking that makes no sense you are correct, but welcome to MD).

As a C&R holder they can ship any C&R eligible gun to you, we aren't quite as bad as NJ (yet) in regards to additional restrictions on C&R. If you are planning on attending the auction in person though you just exchange copies of FFLs (again assuming they are C&R) and bring the guns home with you, no need to ship...plus if the guns had mags that hold over 10 rounds you would be fine to bring those back as well since you acquired them out of state.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Take copies of your C&R license with you that you can sign and give them. Why are you concerned about shipping? Bring them home with you, normal capacity magazines and all!

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    He asked about shipping ... It makes a difference.

In the context in which shipping was mentioned, I took it that he was assuming that he'd have to have the firearms shipped to his home ... and was asking if he could just take possession of them at the auction site.

That's how I read the question, anyway. I get stuff wrong sometimes, though.

Nabla

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 17, 2013
    Baltimore City
    Thanks for all the great responses!! The reason why I mentioned shipping is because of a steep sales tax associated with purchases if I pick them up from the auction house, at least according to their online documentation. And I also just received my MD collectors license letter in the mail today! (2 week turn around!). However, does the collectors license only pertain to multiple regulated MD to MD transfers? Thanks.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Thanks for all the great responses!! The reason why I mentioned shipping is because of a steep sales tax associated with purchases if I pick them up from the auction house, at least according to their online documentation. And I also just received my MD collectors license letter in the mail today! (2 week turn around!). However, does the collectors license only pertain to multiple regulated MD to MD transfers? Thanks.

The designated collector letter is only for more than 1 handgun in a month. It only matters in Maryland. Anyone out of state probably won't know what it even is.

If you attend the auction out of state and pay before you leave, they would probably charge you sales tax whether you carry it home or have it shipped.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Yeah that makes sense! :) Thanks! Wow, some of these buyer premiums are quite high! :/

You're still going to have to pay the buyer premiums, if that'a a condition of the auction. Some charge them, and some don't.

Also, the sales tax is still likely to be cheaper than shipping, once all is said and done ... or it will be a close "wash".

Nabla

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 17, 2013
    Baltimore City
    Thanks! One more question: For the transfer, I only enter these items in my bound book, correct? Even if I purchase multiple regulated C&R handguns from out-of-state? I don't have to fill out any extra forms? Thanks everybody!

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Thanks! One more question: For the transfer, I only enter these items in my bound book, correct? Even if I purchase multiple regulated C&R handguns from out-of-state? I don't have to fill out any extra forms? Thanks everybody!

Yep, just enter your purchases in your bound book, nothing more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom