• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • downwind65

Jan 10, 2010
    Baltimore Co.
    I am looking for a new barrel for my 5.56 AR. I would like to stay with 72-77 grain bullet and am currently looking to shoot out to 300 yds But would like to be able to shoot further it possible. Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Personally, I'd go with a minimum of 18", Wylde chamber. If your consistently doing 300 yards and want to go further.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I am looking for a new barrel for my 5.56 AR. I would like to stay with 72-77 grain bullet and am currently looking to shoot out to 300 yds But would like to be able to shoot further it possible. Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Not sure where you live but you should go see Andy at Engage Armament in Rockville. They have 20" HBAR WOA barrels with a 1:7 twist. Bought one myself. Sweet barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Krieger is good.

So is Lilja. And White Oak. And several other quality high end barrels.

Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010
    What is your budget?

I have a 20" Krieger, shoots tight groups way out there and is well worth the money.

lennyk

Jan 11, 2013
    Woodbine
    Lothar-Walther is another one, there are numerous excellent makes. Obermeyer is another one not mentioned. Rainier ultra match (Shilen).

fa18hooker

99-9X
    Sep 2, 2008
    Annapolis
    White Oak Armament uses Wilson barrels, and are a great deal. They'll shoot great all the way out to 600 yards. The 1:8 will stabilize anything you're going to shoot. The 1:7 I think is overkill...but if you plan on shooting 90's, you have to go at least that fast. Take a look at the recent American Rifleman article about the new M855A1 ammo...he discusses the inherent accuracy differences between 1:7 (necessary in a 14.7" M4 barrel) and a 1:8 (stability node). I've shot both, and truthfully can't tell a difference.

paxfish

Ultimate Member
    Nov 11, 2008
    Culvert & Points West
    We shoot 77gr SMKs to 600 with a 1:8 twist in service rifle matches. Our barrel is a Satern. It costs a bit more but comes with it's own headspaced bolt. Take a look:

http://saternmachining.com/custom_barrel_prices

Here are some 100 yard 5 shot groups (it prefers 77 grain!):

2LUZupG.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom