• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    5.7 you get very limited selections on ammo. All the fun rounds they offer, FN won't sell to the public.

I guess if you have a 5.7 pistol or a PS90 it makes sense, but I don't - so for $750 and change, I'll go another route.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    I have Black Heart, complete 5.7 rifles coming in for the $1099 range.

BHI AR-57 Mil-Spec Gen2 Rifle 5.7x28mm 16 Inch Barrel Parkerized Finish Flash Hider Standard Collapsible Stock Black A2 Pistol Grip 50 Round P90 Magazine Included
    AR-57 Mil-Spec Gen2 Rifle
    Upper receiver is milled from one-piece 7075 T6 aluminum, ported for maximum cooling. Integral side and lower Picatinny rails, plus front and rear top rails for sight installation. Hard coat anodized finish. Free-floating sixteen inch fluted barrel with parkerized finish and flash hider. Mil-spec MULTI-caliber aluminum lower receiver with standard collapsible stock and mil-spec trigger group. A2 pistol grip. Hardened black anodized finish. Ambidextrous magazine release system. Free-floating, parkerized bolt. One 50-round FN P90 magazine included. NOTE: Use only SAAMI or C.I.P. approved ammunition.

LargemouthAss

Dec 27, 2012
    I built an AR57 and I love it. Very accurate and fun to shoot. Hollow out a PMag and use it to collect the spent shells.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    And the good 5.7 ammo is available if you know where to look: http://www.eagleeyeguns.com/product_p/ss198lf.htm

Correct. Scotts also has the GOOD Ammo in stock now at the shop. Its the red box FN stuff.

FWIW, I think the 5.7 Uppers are a better option over a PS90.

#1 a PS90 will cost you more than an AR57 Build.

#2 a PS90 has to be over 29", where the AR57 can be built as a "Pistol" using a SIG Brace. No NFA Paperwork needed.

#3 if you know anything about dealing with FN, their CS and Part Support SUCKS. From what I understand the USSS dropped the P90 because FN couldn't get them spare/replacement parts for the weapons. Break a $1300 PS90 and youll be hating life. You can get parts form AR57 easily.

#4 the AR57 uppers come in various barrel lengths. Pick the one you want and its ready to take a silencer. The PS90 requires a SBR Stamp and a Gunsmith.

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    Can anyone suggest the best way to get the flash hider off the 16" AR57 upper?
    I've tried to unscrew it, and it feels like it's welded on.

Back on topic- I enjoy shooting my AR57- I do also own a FiveseveN pistol and sparrow (well my trust owns the sparrow) which was part of the motivation for the AR57 upper. It's a great upper.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Can anyone suggest the best way to get the flash hider off the 16" AR57 upper?
    I've tried to unscrew it, and it feels like it's welded on.

Back on topic- I enjoy shooting my AR57- I do also own a FiveseveN pistol and sparrow (well my trust owns the sparrow) which was part of the motivation for the AR57 upper. It's a great upper.

Use a propane torch and heat it up. If it does not budge then take it to a smith who won't bugger it up.

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    Use a propane torch and heat it up. If it does not budge then take it to a smith who won't bugger it up.
    That was the next thing I was going to try.

Looks like I have something to do this evening.

Thank you Chad!

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    Plus if you feel like reloading 5.7, the empty mag in the AR upper will catch it. No more searching for your brass at the range!

Though it is one of most difficult/dangerous calibers to reload.

Armati

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 6, 2013
    Baltimore
    A 5.7 AR makes no sense whatsoever. Pretty gimicky. For the AR you would do far better with tried and true 5.56 or .300 Blackout. The "big deal" with the 5.7 is you can have a low recoil 20 round pistol that shoots flat out 100m and penetrates all soft body armor.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    A 5.7 AR makes no sense whatsoever. Pretty gimicky. For the AR you would do far better with tried and true 5.56 or .300 Blackout. The "big deal" with the 5.7 is you can have a low recoil 20 round pistol that shoots flat out 100m and penetrates all soft body armor.

I listed why it makes sense over a PS90 in MARYLAND. and the gun does not hold 20, it holds 50 when you get the standard capacity FN P90 Magazines.

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    How does it make no sense "whatsoever"?

Whatsoever is pretty all encompassing. I have one- I guess I have no sense for making one of my several AR'S in to a 5.7x28 rifle. I guess reasonably priced supression, having a rifle with a low recoil and 50rds "on tap" for home defense- or shooting paper is senseless. Even more so when I have a FiveseveN too.

Maybe in your situation a AR57 isn't the best option- you're not everyone. If you want to come shoot either (and you're not a prohibited person) of mime let me know and and we'll set it up. It's a great round. :)

Armati

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 6, 2013
    Baltimore
    I listed why it makes sense over a PS90 in MARYLAND. and the gun does not hold 20, it holds 50 when you get the standard capacity FN P90 Magazines.

I was speaking in the particular case of the FiveSeven pistol. It provides a neat capability in a pistol package. Making a pistol AR in 5.7 makes even less sense than a 5.56 AR pistol.

Now, people like what they like. And if you are doing it for fun, I get it. But the 5.7 makes very little sense compared to nearly everything else.

Walter Mitty Zombie Apocalypse fantasies aside, professional shooters who have a choice do not use it. The US Secret Service and several other large PDs abandoned it after several real world shootings where the BG was not put down by multiple center mass 5.7 hits. This would not happen with 6.8, 5.56, 6.5, or .300.

Spare parts? As if you are not going to have a parts problem with boutique 5.7 AR.

50rd mag? Seriously? I never felt under armed with the 30rd AR mag.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I was speaking in the particular case of the FiveSeven pistol. It provides a neat capability in a pistol package. Making a pistol AR in 5.7 makes even less sense than a 5.56 AR pistol.

Now, people like what they like. And if you are doing it for fun, I get it. But the 5.7 makes very little sense compared to nearly everything else.

Walter Mitty Zombie Apocalypse fantasies aside, professional shooters who have a choice do not use it. The US Secret Service and several other large PDs abandoned it after several real world shootings where the BG was not put down by multiple center mass 5.7 hits. This would not happen with 6.8, 5.56, 6.5, or .300.

Spare parts? As if you are not going to have a parts problem with boutique 5.7 AR.

Do you understand what I typed? FN parts are not readily available, and the ones that are insanely expensive because people buy PS90s and part them out.

AR57 sells every part for their conversion. FN does not sell PS90 parts and that's the main reason the USSS stopped using them, not stopping power.

Please point out any zombie comments I made. Im a professional that knows you don't buy stuff you cant get parts for if you plan to shoot it.

Ill also entertain your argument s far as the 5.7. If a 5.7 fails to stop its because it failed to hit vitals/CNS. Same thing would happen with a 5.56 or .300 Blackout or the gender neutral 6.8 round.

The pistol 5.7 AR comment is about OAL restrictions in MD and SBR restrictions. They DON apply to a "Pistol" AR57 with a SIG Brace. You sidestep NFA and MD FSA2013 Laws with the package.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

Yeah. I guess someone should tell DEVGRU that their MP7's in 4.6mm is a terrible idea too. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom