Silver Bear Zinc Vs Steel (Tula Etc Etc)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fender

Sep 26, 2014
    Rocky Ridge, MD
    I searched online and even on the forums for a bit (ok, maybe just 4 minutes) and couldn't find any real solid answers or anyone who seemed like they really knew what they were talking about.

Is there any difference in Zinc coated ammo Vs regular old steel ammo? I understand the expansion in comparison to brass but that's not what I am trying to figure out. With the price of ammo, I want to pinch every penny while causing the least harm to my weapon, and have no frustration due to FTEs.

In my personal experience, Tula steel ammo stripped my extractor on my AR15 due to 2 rounds becoming lodged in the chamber (separate days) after being fired. Repeated attempts to remove it caused the stripping. How ever, I have shot 500 rounds of Silver bear .223 with no such issues. I do clean my weapon religiously as the next time I pick it up might be for a darn good reason. So weapon maintenance is not the issue.

Any self proclaimed ammo experts have anything?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I've had mixed experiences with Silver Bear in .223Rem.

When it was behaving, it was actually surprisingly accurate for bulk ammo. When it wasn't behaving, I drove myself insane trying to get it to work right (was failing to extract, ripping rims off the case).

GHETTO BLASTER

May 27, 2013
    I have the colt branded zinc plated steel 168 gr 308. I've put about 250 of them through my lr308 without a hiccup. I think its the same as the silver bear just rebranded.

Edit: there was one that didn't fire the first time through but went fine the second time.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    What's the cost of an extractor? How many rounds of ammo does it take to make up that cost? How is your chamber cleaning regimen when shooting laquer/poly ammo?

I've shot all of it and have only had good experiences. I shoot what's cheap unless the range has restrictions. I'm not shooting for touching groups so I can't speak to accuracy except to say I'm happy with what I'm doing.

Fender

Sep 26, 2014
    Rocky Ridge, MD
    The replacement extractor was $20. There's a chance the OEM extractor was just poorly made but I've seen nothing but good reviews for windham weaponry.

I completely break down the weapon and clp everything that moves or comes into contact with anything. Bore brush to the chamber and a few runs with a bore snake.

I am not worried about accuracy that much either especially with cheap ammo. Just need rounds that go bang.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    The replacement extractor was $20. There's a chance the OEM extractor was just poorly made but I've seen nothing but good reviews for windham weaponry.

I completely break down the weapon and clp everything that moves or comes into contact with anything. Bore brush to the chamber and a few runs with a bore snake.

I am not worried about accuracy that much either especially with cheap ammo. Just need rounds that go bang.

Hrmmm. That's interesting. Were the two stuck rounds from the same batch? Definitely sounds like you're handling things right on your end.

Fender

Sep 26, 2014
    Rocky Ridge, MD
    Came from the same 500 round tin from walmart. I shoot a lot so saving 6 cents a round does add up rather quickly.

From what I can tell, it might just be a freak accident and there isn't a big enough difference between the two types of ammo to justify paying a bit more. But, I don't wanna be burning through extractors every 2 months.

raider80

Nov 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    I have used tula wolf mfs and brown bear I have never had a problem but I run my bcg rather wet when I shoot steel. All failures I have seen at range with steel seem to be with newer guns and they were not properly lubricated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom