Internet forums and changing a light bulb...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Can we do a Group Buy on 60W bulbs? I know a guy who can get me a deal.

cpc1027

Jun 25, 2010
    Sparks
    Does anyone know where I can get an unregulated 60W incandescent lightbulb? I hear the government is banning them and I don't want it in my name...

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Does anyone know where I can get an unregulated 60W incandescent lightbulb? I hear the government is banning them and I don't want it in my name...

There is no lightbulb loop hole! They are my bulbs and I am a free man entitled to sell them to whomever I want!

(What's up with all the new guys asking about ways to get face-to-face bulbs?)

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    There is no lightbulb loop hole! They are my bulbs and I am a free man entitled to sell them to whomever I want!

(What's up with all the new guys asking about ways to get face-to-face bulbs?)

I hear the new ones are coming out with a shoulder thing and heat seeking lightbulbs:D

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    Some additions for us:

4 to ask if you used incandescent bulbs, because God hates cfl.
    3 to proclaim that the founders wanted us to have a choice of light bulbs.
    1 to say that he is moving to a state where you don't have to change your bulbs.
    1 mod to lock the thread because light bulbs are a distraction.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    15 to say:
    "Bulbs are going to be banned by Barry Soreto, so you won't have to unscrew the new ones anymore because it's good for the chilluns & the eco-vironment"!

30 to say:
    "You racist bas^@&@, how dare you!"

45 to protest that:
    "light bulbs with broken glass are dangerous & should be licensed & training provided before you try to change one."

12 to add that ear & eye protection must be used when changing them.

rpker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2009
    Charles County
    15 to say:
    "Bulbs are going to be banned by Barry Soreto, so you won't have to unscrew the new ones anymore because it's good for the chilluns & the eco-vironment"!

30 to say:
    "You racist bas^@&@, how dare you!"

45 to protest that:
    "light bulbs with broken glass are dangerous & should be licensed & training provided before you try to change one."

12 to add that ear & eye protection must be used when changing them.

don't forget that CFL's are bad for the environment because they have mercury in them, banning incandescents is a conspiricy driven by the Masons because they are trying to bring about the downfall of all the worlds governments to set up a NWO.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    Group buy for Chad
    This contains 15 boxes of 15-pack light bulbs, giving a total of 225 bulbs of 40-Watt Clear Chandelier Flame-Tip (for HIS pleasure) Light Bulbs. This feature a decorative flame tip and have a candle shape with a candelabra base. These bulbs are dimmable to provide the ideal amount of illumination (perfect for those romantic moments).

[FONT=&quot]Feit Electric 40-Watt Clear Chandelier Flame-Tip Incandescent Light Bulbs (15-Pack)
    $76.96
    b66de6b5-837c-457e-91f6-ec8bfe0aed2d_300.jpg

[/FONT]

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    I say add:
    7 to try and solve the problem by saying you don't really need light bulbs, just wait until the sun comes up

rpker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2009
    Charles County
    Everything you have ever wanted to know...

about light bulbs but have been afraid to ask.

so what is an expert on light bulbs anyhow? who cares! BUT, I bet most people didn't know

Thomas Edison was not the first to invent the light bulb some englishman named Sir Joseph Swan did in 1878, Edison just got to the patent office first in 1879. All well you snooze you lose!

anyway I digress..
    light bulbs are typically refered to in terms of wattage, every body knows higher wattage = more light but what about color? you may have seen light bulbs refered to as "warm", "cool" etc but those colors have an actual standard. Yup folks those words actually mean something. a "warm" bulb is considered to have a color of around 2700-3000 K. The K stands for Kelvin which actually refers to the temperature or more precisly the color of the temperature. The hotter the color the closer to blue it gets. You may have noticed this when you replace a bulb in a fixture and the color just doesn't seem to be the same as the other bulbs. This becomes REALLY prevalent wehen you are using CFL's because they are actually marked with not only the wattage but the color as well. Now don't get confused here this K value HAS ABSOLUTLY NOTHING TO DO WITH HOW HOT THE BULB GETS. But if you are looking for task lighting; say some new lights above your reloading bench, you want "bright" or "daylight" white lights because it will make thigs easy to see. For that application you should probably look for bulbs around 5000K. Reading light, it is generally easier to read under "warm" lights (2700-3000K). How about an aquarium you say...well what kind of fish ya got? Freshwater go with "warm" colors to make a pretty tank. If you have saltwater fish (and especially corals) you need a "daylight" color to help maintain tank health. That's probably more than ANYONE wanted to know about color so what's next...

How about this stupid CFL movement. And yup I called it stupid.
    CFLs are great for lowering your power consumption. As an example a 13 watt CFL puts out the same amount of light as a 60 watt incandescent. a CFL will last about 10 times longer than an incandescent. So whats the bad you say? Mercury. So look at where we are now, ALOT of people are replacing thier incandescents with CFL. in about 10 years those bulbs are going to need to be replaced. All of those CFL bulbs are going to go into landfills or where ever they go and all of the mercury will be released into the wild as those bulbs are broken. Don't get me wrong, I think saving the money from less wattage is cool, but what about the future people? Lets think about what we are leaving our kids here. Just to put it in context the WTC disaster ended with a pile of rubble containing the shattered remains of over 23,000 flourescent lights each with between 4mg and 45mg of mercury depending on the yer it was manufactured. There are quite a few people who work the pile with long lasting effects from (among other things) mercury. Whats going to happen when the 300 million people in the United States start throwing these things away?

Personally (and I am no expert on anything) I like LED technology. Less toxic waste at the end user. Even longer life than CFL and a smaller foot print. There are some kinks to be worked out with LEDs (directionality and manufacturing cost) but those hurdles are being attacked as we speak.

Well I guess I've rambled on long enough...what say you MDS

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Did anyone post the:
    7 people who will get into a huge row, trashing the entire thread about who is the one & only world's greatest light-bulb changing expert?

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    It doesn't matter what wattage you buy. FBI tests showed that a 40W, a 60W, and a 100W all projected roughly the same amount of lumens through a block of ballistic gel.

MH

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom