• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Teflon

Aug 5, 2013
    Hagerstown
    Anyone have a good spot to buy this, either online or in person?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Remember, pretty much all the "standard velocity" is subsonic. High velocity is supersonic.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Am I the only one that doesn't like to shoot LRN through their suppressors?

Jim Smith

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    Remember, pretty much all the "standard velocity" is subsonic. High velocity is supersonic.

Huh? The 555 box of "Standard" Winchester white box ammo I have is 1280 FPS. The speed of sound is about 1125 FPS.

Soooo, standard is supersonic.

Chevyman85

Feb 14, 2013
    DoCo
    Huh? The 555 box of "Standard" Winchester white box ammo I have is 1280 FPS. The speed of sound is about 1125 FPS.

Soooo, standard is supersonic.

No, what you have is high velocity ammo. Standard velocity ammo is going to be in the 1000-1100fps range and thus subsonic.

kc day

MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2008
    I have the same problem locating the cci subsonic anywhere local. I always stock up when I go to the Harrisburg or York shows. There are two guys there that always have it, and it's usually around $7.99 - $9.99 a box.

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    No, what you have is high velocity ammo. Standard velocity ammo is going to be in the 1000-1100fps range and thus subsonic.
    None of the bulk boxes of Winchester or Remington 22LR say "high velocity" anywhere on the box or in their marketing materials and they all have muzzle velocities higher than 1125 fps. :shrug:

Chevyman85

Feb 14, 2013
    DoCo
    None of the bulk boxes of Winchester or Remington 22LR say "high velocity" anywhere on the box or in their marketing materials and they all have muzzle velocities higher than 1125 fps. :shrug:

And that means what? Absolutely NOTHING! Why don't you do a couple min of research on STANDARD velocity .22 before you throw out bs info. Let me know what you find.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

Sorry, but your answer is incomplete. Air temperature must be considered when calculating the speed of sound. Without knowing the temperature at which the round is fired, the crack you hear (breaking the speed of sound) can occur much lower than the 1125 fps, thus making standard velocity 22LR ammo supersonic.

Jim Smith

ps Humidity and altitude will also make a difference.

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    No butthurt here. Just pointing out the the stupidity of some.:tongue01:

Like your own?

Standard velocity

"Standard-velocity rounds have a slightly supersonic muzzle velocity of around 1,125 ft/s (343 m/s), and a "normal" bullet weight of 40 gr (2.6 g). Standard-velocity cartridges generate near or slightly supersonic velocities. These rounds generally do not develop these velocities in handguns because their short barrels do not take full advantage of the slower powder."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_Long_Rifle

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    While it maybe incomplete when throwing in extremes, my answer is not incorrect.

Okay, whatever you say. But the text books, the folks that write the text books and everyone I know, realizes that the speed of sound is not constant, but you believe what you want. However, you are wrong. Deal with it.

Jim Smith

Chevyman85

Feb 14, 2013
    DoCo
    Like your own?

Standard velocity

"Standard-velocity rounds have a slightly supersonic muzzle velocity of around 1,125 ft/s (343 m/s), and a "normal" bullet weight of 40 gr (2.6 g). Standard-velocity cartridges generate near or slightly supersonic velocities. These rounds generally do not develop these velocities in handguns because their short barrels do not take full advantage of the slower powder."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_Long_Rifle

How about you also post the section on HIGH velocity ammo as well. This is where your box of Golden Bullets will fall (1260fps?) thus making your claim that they are STANDARD velocity wrong.

Your quote also does nothing to disprove me when I said .22 in the 1000-1100fps range is subsonic. Its only addressing ammo that is on the edge of being supersonic. Any STANDARD velocity ammo I have come across has been well below in the 1050fps range making it subsonic under most common conditions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom