• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    My thought was, pull the barrel and drop the rounds in to see if they seat to full depth without needing any force.

I would bet they don't.

And as you mentioned earlier, the pictures show the bulging at the TOP of the case. So either the barrel is WAY over throated, or the round is firing out of battery.

:thumbsup: or possibly a piece of brass is jammed up in chamber where it allows the bullet to go in but not seat the brass all the way...its in the realm of possibilities..

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Later last night I did check the firing pin tunnel, no shaved brass from the primers. I did chamber an unfired round and it went fully into the chamber. The hood is square with the breech face and the breechface is square. I still have more to check but since yesterday I haven't been able to address it in more depth. Work late tonight...

The pistol did not fire out of battery. Plus the brass would be bent and distorted linearly. No modifications were done to the disconnector relief in the slide and the disconnector is not short.

As stated earlier, this is my first 9mm build. The barrel was new and not modified by me in the barrel support area. I know there is some unsupported area on a standard ramped barrel 1911. When I got the barrel the first this thing I did was inspect it and put a fired case in it. I thought the unsupported area looked a little large but thought it was normal since it was new. Should have gotten out the book and made the measurements to be sure. We'll see. I still hold the ammo is overpressure.

Intercooler

Jun 10, 2012
    I guess it goes out to any of those having issues on the swap offer.

To the OP... can you post a picture of a round inserted into your barrel fully?

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Hhhhmmmmmm..........My guess to really determine what the problem is here, the ammo or the gun, is to shoot some of the OP's ZQ1 ammo in some other make and model handguns to see if any of the other guns have similar problems with that ammo.

Lucca1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 9, 2013
    Behind Enemy Lines
    I can post the lot number as soon as I get home this evening to see if they are from the same batch that the OP had issues with. Either way, I'm still happy to pass them along for evaluation. No need to send 47 in return. Your findings would be worth much more then the ammo itself.

The lot number is 14 160031 if this helps.

Atlasarmory

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    About half way down they discuss the possibility of the barrel and slide disconnecting too soon due to too light of a recoil spring. So it may not be the gun or the ammo but the two together.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    I dropped the ZQI and Federal into my FNS-9. The ZQI appears to sit "higher" than the Federal - maybe by 2 hundredths. Don't know why. Allergies getting me and my analytical skills are lacking this evening.

If I shoot my box of ZQI, maybe I'll use a long string and stand behind a tree.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    About half way down they discuss the possibility of the barrel and slide disconnecting too soon due to too light of a recoil spring. So it may not be the gun or the ammo but the two together.

Most of the time when that is the issue, ( like short lugs, wrong link or wrong or old recoil spring ) the brass will have large flame marks on the outside of the case from the powder charge not being completely burned during firing and is still burning during extraction and or ejection. That brass has no worthy flame marks that I can see.
    And I believe if the pistol was unlocking early and with the pressures still great enough to blow out the cases all the way around the cartridge all the primers would look more alike than what is shown. The would be shown backing out of there pockets or all would be completely blown out of there pockets. And most of the primers shown are either pierced or they are still in there pocket make me tend to believe that the breach face was against the cartridge when it was fired.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Would it be possible to post a picture of the barrel/chamber with and without a fresh round in it ?

Consider putting a layer of 'plastigauge' on a 'known good' round and push it in the chamber to see what clearances you are dealing with (of course, make sure you clean out all he plastigauge afterwards).

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    The box is grey and tan, IIRC. Don't have it with me.

This was deliberate shooting, a partial mag done by chambering a round, removing the mag and firing to test ejection function. The rest was slow and deliberate to test accuracy. I don't have the lot number but ZQI returned my email. Very polite and courteous. I'll report back when there is a determination there.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    OOB. check your pin or check your chamber. Not the bullets. If the chamber was supporting the casing, there would be nowhere for the cases to bulge. I sometimes get slight versions of this when I go buck wild with the .45 MAC 10.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Standard ramp 1911's have unsupported barrels.
    Headspace on this pistol is on the short side of the tolerance range...meaning is nowhere near out of spec.
    But the barrel is over throated, as bought from the provider.

Here are some pics a few have asked for. None of the empty chamber, though.

Winchester factory fired cases, Winchester case in chamber, ZQI cartridge in the chamber.

Attachments

• 9mm 1911, WIN factory fired cases, side mouth view.JPG
      9mm 1911, WIN factory fired cases, side mouth view.JPG
      48.7 KB · Views: 393
    • OP 9mm ammo, case in 1911 barrel 2.JPG
      OP 9mm ammo, case in 1911 barrel 2.JPG
      36.7 KB · Views: 375
    • OP 9mm ammo, case in 1911 barrel side view 2.JPG
      OP 9mm ammo, case in 1911 barrel side view 2.JPG
      35.3 KB · Views: 383

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Mh, those stick out quite some ways. All the bulged cases you have in your original post conform to the contour of that unsupported portion. No big mystery here.

Looks like this ammo is just not right for that particular gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom