• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Looking to buy my first 80% lower....maybe two if price is right.

Have found a Del-ton complete upper kit with HB nice price...

AR-15 A3 Del-Ton Heavy Barrel Kit 16" Add Stripped Lower To Complete RK101

16" rifle kit comes with everything needed to complete a stripped lower receiver.Includes fully assembled, headspaced and test fired upper receiver, lower parts kit and buttstock.Rifle kit does not include stripped lower receiver or magazines.Barrel: Chrome Moly Vanadium, M4 Feed Ramps, 16" Length, 1x9 Twist, A2 Flash Hider, Manganese Phosphated, Phosphated under Front Sight Base, Taper Pins in F-marked Front Sight Base, Threaded Muzzle, Heavy ProfileChamber: 5.56 X 45 mmBolt And Carrier: Phosphated 8620 Steel Carrier Assembly, Carpenter 158 Bolt HPT/MPI Tested,Heat Treated and Plated, Mil-Spec, Chrome Lined Carrier Interior, Carrier Key - Chrome Lined, attached with Grade 8 Screws, Properly Staked & Sealed Gas Key Handguards: Carbine Length, Aluminum Delta Ring, Single Heat ShieldUpper Receiver: Forged 7075 T6 Aluminum, A3 Flat Top with M4 Feed Ramps, Hard Coat Anodized, Mil-Spec, Ejection Port Cover and Round Forward Assist, Right Hand Ejection, Bore's surface is coated with dry film lube, over the anodized surfaceButtstock: M4 5 Position, Reinforced Fiber, Mil-Spec Sized Tube

Manufacturer: DELTON DTI
    Model: RKT101

Any help on good deals?
    okay deal...http://daytonatactical.com/products/80-ar15-lower-receiver $69.00

Our 80% AR 15 Lower receivers are MIL-SPEC and machined from 7075-T6 forgings
    The operations left to be completed are as follows:
    fire control group
    trigger pin
    hammer pin
    trigger slot
    safety selector hole.
    The 80% Lower Receiver is not an FFL (Federal Firearms License) item. This receiver is machined to 80 percent and still requires machining to be completed.

Last edited:

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    I think they are fine as long as they are forged and 7075. I have seen some 6061 and some cast lowers that i would steer clear of. The jigs make it pretty easy to complete. Check out tacticalmachining.com as well.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    They're easy to complete on a mill, but the drill press ones are a PITA. I'm working on one now on a drill press, it's a bitch.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I would just buy a stripped lower.

$100 or so, and nicely anodized, and made PROPERLY. :)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    There is that. :)

But if you talk about it online, that sort of defeats the purpose. :)

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    So, have we heard anything new about 80% lowers? Are they legal in MD if we build them into currently-legal configurations? I know it was questionable for awhile. Maybe it's in the clear now that stripped lowers are okay.

RoboRay

Oct 16, 2013
    So, have we heard anything new about 80% lowers? Are they legal in MD if we build them into currently-legal configurations? I know it was questionable for awhile. Maybe it's in the clear now that stripped lowers are okay.

They've always been legal to buy and possess in MD. The only question was whether or not you would briefly run afoul of the MSP-misinterpreted "ban" on AR lowers between the action of finishing them and attaching an upper that created a legal configuration.

Since MSP has been brought to their senses by a threat of lawsuit and are no longer saying finished AR lowers are banned, there's no longer any concerns with 80% lowers in MD.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    They've always been legal to buy and possess in MD. The only question was whether or not you would briefly run afoul of the MSP-misinterpreted "ban" on AR lowers between the action of finishing them and attaching an upper that created a legal configuration.

Since MSP has been brought to their senses by a threat of lawsuit and are no longer saying finished AR lowers are banned, there's no longer any concerns with 80% lowers in MD.

much in my way of thinking also. As I know many 80% lowers are finished at home by the law.
    https://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/firearms-technology.html#commercial-parts-assembly

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    That's great. Just wanted to see if there were still any potential issues about finishing them. Obviously, I wouldn't build any of those "evil skinny barrel" uppers, just HBAR's and pistols.

RoboRay

Oct 16, 2013
    Is there info on where this was said? Not denying it, just want to know for myself. The 80% being legal to build in MD that is.

That's not how criminal law works... everything is legal unless a law says it's not.

So, to turn the question in the proper direction...
    Is there info on where this was said? Not denying it, just want to know for myself. The 80% not being legal to build in MD that is.

What law says it's not legal?

WhiteWhale056

Apr 27, 2012
    chaptico, md
    After the ban there was nothing stating that they were legal to build. Sorry you took my question the wrong way.

Is there anything stating in the current laws that an 80% can not be completed?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The RECOMMENDATION was to not build them after Oct 1, 2013, due to MSP saying that stripped lowers were illegal. So completing an 80% would be making a banned item.

Since stripped lowers are now legal to buy, completing an 80% lower is NOT making a banned item, so there is no law saying you can't. Federal law allows you to make, for your personal use, any legal firearm.

RoboRay

Oct 16, 2013
    After the ban there was nothing stating that they were legal to build.

Like I said... there doesn't need to be a law saying you can do something. If there's no law saying you can't, then you can.
    Sorry you took my question the wrong way.

I didn't take it any particular way. Sorry if I gave an impression that I did... it was unintended. :)
    Is there anything stating in the current laws that an 80% can not be completed?

No.

There actually never was anything specifically banning completion of an 80% lower. The concern was that the act of finishing it created an object that the MSP (not the law itself) said was banned.

Then the MSP woke up and backtracked, informing FFLs that lowers are not banned items after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom