• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Well, the first problem I see is that they're only selling 75% of Izhmekh. If Rostec owns the other 25%, they're still under sanctions according to my reading of the EO.

Second, this doesn't get you Saigas (Izhmash) or VEPRs (MOLOT). Izhmekh makes the Baikal guns, which aren't bad, but generally have good analogues elsewhere. Then again, I can buy perfectly good AKs from Zastava, Cugir, Arsenal, and Radom, too!

IMHO, MOLOT is the key here. Saigas are alright, but the VEPR line is where the interesting stuff is.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Not a surprising move, but as Erwos said this does not affect Izhmash or MOLOT. Those manufacturers remain under sanctions.

In any case it's very easy for the Treasury to add a new company to the ban list to keep the economic impact of the sanctions intact. Russia needs to wait until the situation in the Ukraine is resolved, and then play the shell game once they can safely do so.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    Not a surprising move, but as Erwos said this does not affect Izhmash or MOLOT. Those manufacturers remain under sanctions.

In any case it's very easy for the Treasury to add a new company to the ban list to keep the economic impact of the sanctions intact. Russia needs to wait until the situation in the Ukraine is resolved, and then play the shell game once they can safely do so.

Never happen, frozen conflict that can get hot anytime Western Ukraine does something that displeases Russia.

Even if it were resolved, the Chicoms are still under sanction for stuff that happened 25 years ago

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I love the Baikal shotguns, I bought one of those MP-153 semi shotguns and just love that gun. It will shoot dirty as hell as long as the gas ports don't clog and the bolt has enough oil to slide easy. My daughter loves it but wishes it was bit lighter. For $400 sales price I have seen them for, you can't beat it.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Even if it were resolved, the Chicoms are still under sanction for stuff that happened 25 years ago

You are probably right. However the Chicom ban was negotiated as part of a bilateral agreement over trade relations... plus Bush's later EO on Norinco, specifically.

This one is less complex to lift or feasibly circumnavigate. I'll remain optimistically pessimistic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom