• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I need recommendations for a new scope for my HCS Mk12 Mod1. Currently it has an OLD Nikon Prostaff deer scope on it. Old plane Jane crosshairs, no mil-dots. At 500 yards it is irritating to not have the proper tools to calculate the holdover I need and it becomes a game of "i think this where I held last time". I am considering the "correct" optics which include the Mk4 3.5-10 with illumination and the various NF offerings. However I am looking to go with a less expensive scope. Is there something out there that performs very well for the money? I want tactical turrets and preferably the option of illumination. I plan on a 30mm to be used with the ARMS quick detach rings. The Prostaff sits in a LaRue QD mount but it is a 1" tube. I regularly take this rifle to 400-500 yards and soon plan to play around at 800. I wont give a budget because I'm curious what is out there. I am not looking for precision, just the ability to make quick changes and hit targets at various ranges. This shoots steel, yotes, and prairie dogs. No precision matches or anything like that. Still debating on magnification but definitely not less than 10x as a max.

The rifle in question:

qutahu6e.jpg

e8eme2a4.jpg

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    Vortex Viper with mil-dot. Great scope for a reasonable amount of money. I got my 6-20x44 for $300 on Midway earlier this year. I use this at 1000+ yards with my 30-06.

I also have the Crossfire II 4-12x44 on my AR. Not nearly as nice a scope, but usable. I have shot this out to 600 yards with very nice results. I bought it on a gear hog deal for $160 with rings, hat, etc.

Both come with the no-questions-asked lifetime warranty.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    For crosshair illumination. Take a small mini chemlight and activate it. Then tape up (electrical tape is best) most of it and place it inside the eyepiece of the scope. Use a strip to secure it in place against recoil and voíla! Instant reticule illumination in the color of your choice. And no electronics to die out either! Also pro tip: use more tape at night and less tape during the day. Don't want to blow your nightvision or completely demolish your reticle picture.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Vortex Viper with mil-dot. Great scope for a reasonable amount of money. I got my 6-20x44 for $300 on Midway earlier this year. I use this at 1000+ yards with my 30-06.

I also have the Crossfire II 4-12x44 on my AR. Not nearly as nice a scope, but usable. I have shot this out to 600 yards with very nice results. I bought it on a gear hog deal for $160 with rings, hat, etc.

Both come with the no-questions-asked lifetime warranty.
    Ditto on the Viper 6.5-20x44. Also got the Midway deal. Put it on my 6.8mm DMR. I use it mainly for head shots on groundhogs on the farm at whatever distance they are at. I also bought it for the occasional shooting out to 800y.

ATTom

Aug 17, 2010
    You should stick to kosher scopes for a mk12... Leupold mk4 2.5-8 and nightforce ...
    I can't remember all of them....but there's a huge thread on arfcom.
    Just my 2 cents

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    You should stick to kosher scopes for a mk12... Leupold mk4 2.5-8 and nightforce ...
    I can't remember all of them....but there's a huge thread on arfcom.
    Just my 2 cents

Yea I keep going back and forth! I love extra magnification but I also want to be historically accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom