• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I'm planning on getting 2 of these bags, to use as GHB or BOB for the Mrs. and I. I'm planning on getting another 2 so that way there are GHB's in both vehicles and we each have a BOB that we can grab and go, if the SHTF.

euchre98

Feb 13, 2009
    Leonardtown
    I've had a Jansport similar to this for 13yrs. Its been on countless trips flying/auto/train sent off to camp with my son and at least 20k miles strapped on the back of a motorcycle.

Being able to tuck away the straps and use it like a duffle is very handy. You can tuck them away and back out in seconds.

http://www.campmor.com/Product___85187

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I stopped in REI in Timonium a couple years ago to buy hiking socks and they had a sale going on for their REI branded backpacks.

I picked up their smallest for $60. I can't remember the size but it's awesome for day and maybe an overnight hike.

It doesn't have any internal structure to it so it would not be good for a heavy load.

Like other's have said, it depends on what kind of hiking you plan on doing. Day hiking? overnight? 3-4 night? week?

Unless you NEED tactical colors it's probably best to buy something not camo.

At REI they have experienced hikers who do the selling. They are more concerned with their brand name than other stores so they want to make sure you get the right thing rather than the more expensive thing. Wife and I went there about 5 years ago, before we got serious about hiking, and told the guy we were not going to buy today at the start of the conversation. He proceeded to fit us for the right pack and didn't give us any kind of attitude when we didn't buy that day. Eventually I do want to get into overnight or 3 day hiking so I will go there to get it because of that experience.

hawkeye86

May 15, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I have that same backpack. I carry 3 17" laptops with associated power supplies, notepad, kindle along with other odds and ends. The pack probably weighs 50 pounds when loaded. It's held up for the 3 business trips I've taken it on so far. The same load has torn straps off 2 previous computer backpacks in a very short time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    From my very limited experience (Read: anecdotes over the last week and a buttload of Googling) a good fit and something that shifts the load to your hips is important. I very literally spent 3 hours today fitting my Kelty per their instructions and repacking and repacking and I'm finally confident that it'll be much better over my next hikes.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Mine came the other day, to busy to give you a mini review but seems heavy but in a cheap way. It will work for what I want it do but I wouldn't hike with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom