• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chevyman85

Feb 14, 2013
    DoCo
    Okay, whatever you say. But the text books, the folks that write the text books and everyone I know, realizes that the speed of sound is not constant, but you believe what you want. However, you are wrong. Deal with it.

Jim Smith

So your telling me that if I walk out my door right now in AAco and fire off some CCI Standard velocity (1050fps) that it will not be subsonic? That ammo in the 1000-1100fps range can never be subsonic because conditions will always be present that prevent it?

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    So your telling me that if I walk out my door right now in AAco and fire off some CCI Standard velocity (1050fps) that it will not be subsonic? That ammo in the 1000-1100fps range can never be subsonic because conditions will always be present that prevent it?

The closer we get to winter the higher the chance that the bullet goes transonic.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

On a clear dry day with temps in the 60s, that ammo may very well go supersonic. Getting these conditions in Maryland in September, it would be unlikely. But with the correct atmospheric conditions, yes you CCI Standard Velocity 22LR ammo CAN go supersonic. But the discussion started when someone mentioned his Winchester ammo and you jumped all over him because you don't believe standard velocity ammo can go supersonic. Well, I'm hear to tell you that SOME Standard Velocity 22LR ammo can go supersonic and some do it right out of the box on any given day here in Maryland, even AA county.

Jim Smith

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    On a clear dry day with temps in the 60s, that ammo may very well go supersonic. Getting these conditions in Maryland in September, it would be unlikely. But with the correct atmospheric conditions, yes you CCI Standard Velocity 22LR ammo CAN go supersonic. But the discussion started when someone mentioned his Winchester ammo and you jumped all over him because you don't believe standard velocity ammo can go supersonic. Well, I'm hear to tell you that SOME Standard Velocity 22LR ammo can go supersonic and some do it right out of the box on any given day here in Maryland, even AA county.

Jim Smith

Again, it will also vary with barrel length

Chevyman85

Feb 14, 2013
    DoCo
    Well maybe you saw it differently. My intent was to point out that his so called "standard" velocity ammo was actually considered "high" velocity ammo. That was it.

He came back with a response that I was wrong and that couldn't be because it wasn't printed on the box. Again I was pointing out how that didn't mean anything. Then came his personal dig with the butthurt comment. So yeah I'm certainly going to respond to that.

I also never said standard velocity ammo can't go supersonic. Not sure where you got that from. I will stand by under most circumstances standard velocity ammo (1000-1100fps) is subsonic.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have the same problem locating the cci subsonic anywhere local. I always stock up when I go to the Harrisburg or York shows. There are two guys there that always have it, and it's usually around $7.99 - $9.99 a box.

Buy CCI Standard Velocity. It has been selling for $4.99 a box or less.

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=5&loadNo=0032

1070 fps

CCI Quiet 22 is 710 fps, which is WAY lower than the speed of sound.

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=3&loadNo=960

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Like your own?

Standard velocity

"Standard-velocity rounds have a slightly supersonic muzzle velocity of around 1,125 ft/s (343 m/s), and a "normal" bullet weight of 40 gr (2.6 g). Standard-velocity cartridges generate near or slightly supersonic velocities. These rounds generally do not develop these velocities in handguns because their short barrels do not take full advantage of the slower powder."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_Long_Rifle

Except:

CCI - 1070 fps - http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=5&loadNo=0032

Federal doesn't make a "standard velocity", but several of their Gold Medal loads are 1080 fps -http://www.federalpremium.com/products/rimfire.aspx

Remington also doesn't currently make a "standard velocity" but their target rounds are 1150 fps. They used to make one, and it was around 1050 fps.

Winchester DOES make a "standard velocity" and it is 1150 fps. They do make a SubSonic load at 1065 fps.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Speed of sound based on temp. And temperature is the only thing that matters.

But remember, if the ammunition gets cold, the muzzle velocity decreases.

Somewhere on the order of 2 fps per degree. So at 20 degrees, versus 68 degrees "standard temperature, the MV is about 96 fps less, so still not supersonic.

Attachments

• speed of sound.jpg
      speed of sound.jpg
      21.1 KB · Views: 173

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    We have RWS Subsonic in stock at $9.99/box of 50.

Thanks, I bought some; with my SG membership and free shipping code I couldn't turn it down. That particular Eley product along with RWS Subsonic are 2 of the very best shooters in my Walther KKM target gun. I recommend anyone interested in target grade ammo try these 2.

If I am in Rockville anytime soon I'll buy a few boxes of RWS

Edit: :thumbsup::thumbsup: on the moderation work :party29:

Last edited:

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Am I the only one that doesn't like to shoot LRN through their suppressors?

Jim Smith

No, not at all. Having said that, today I saw some Rem Subs in WM today and grabbed 2-100 rd boxes. Wasn't paying attention so I'll use them, but my Sparrow comes apart for cleaning thankfully. Have to be more attentive in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom