• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brutus538

Mar 23, 2010
    Just wondering about MD law about shooting airgun in outside your house or any other place. Is there a restriction or is there any existing MD law or Ordinance regarding Airgun?

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    There is no state law that I'm aware of.

However if a stray BB hits someone or something you could have issues legally.

Secondly I wouldnt go running around an apartment complex with your buddies pointing what looks like real guns at each other.

I have one and used to "play" with a few buddies. We were in their hoods removed from neighbors. I wouldnt grab my AR look a like and run around the streets with it. Orange barrell or not.

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    Charles County has specific regulations regarding air and bbguns.
    I cannot access the county website for some reason or I would copy the regs.
    Basically the law covers transport in an vehicle (they are treated as firearms) and the safety zone for use which exceeds the safety zone for firearms hunting. This would basically preclude use in most residential neighborhoods. There is an exception for pest control causing damage (squirrels, groundhods..???) but to the best of my knowledge this exception has never been defined or tested.
    I think it would be prudent to check the local jurisdiction where you live before embarking on an adventure.

hard_core_emt

Mar 21, 2010
    Oakland, MD
    I helped establish laws in the lil town of Mtn. Lake Park 20 years ago. No bb guns or air rifles allowed at all. cant even shoot at targets in your back yard. Guess all the squirrels and rabbits i killed pissed alot of people off .

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    just make sure,if you're doing a target shooting in the backyard, your bb stop should be thick enough and not weak for the bb to go through.

Just an additional thought. An indoor pistol range allows handguns to .45 and 1610 fps. They allow airguns but DO NOT allow BB's because of bounce and ricochet.

Last edited:

Fox Mike

Apr 24, 2010
    Havre de Grace
    Charles County has specific regulations regarding air and bbguns.
    I cannot access the county website for some reason or I would copy the regs.
    Basically the law covers transport in an vehicle (they are treated as firearms) and the safety zone for use which exceeds the safety zone for firearms hunting. This would basically preclude use in most residential neighborhoods. There is an exception for pest control causing damage (squirrels, groundhods..???) but to the best of my knowledge this exception has never been defined or tested.
    I think it would be prudent to check the local jurisdiction where you live before embarking on an adventure.

http://www.charlescounty.org/webdoc...rddocs/July 29 30 08/Leg Replica firearms.pdf

KevinB

Dec 4, 2008
    Germantown
    MoCo regulates shooting "air" guns under the same restrictions as real firearms. ..

Would you happen to have a reference for that MoCo law/ordinance? I would love to have it handy to give to my townhouse neighbor the next time he's shooting in his backyard...

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    Would you happen to have a reference for that MoCo law/ordinance? I would love to have it handy to give to my townhouse neighbor the next time he's shooting in his backyard...

Here is the MoCo code gateway:

http://www.amlegal.com/montgomery_county_md/

and here are the codes, in Chap 57 (weapons):
    http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Maryland/montgom/partiilocallawsordinancesresolutionsetc/chapter57weapons?fn=altmain-nf.htm$f=templates$3.0#LPTOC1

The first is the definition section on "firearm":

Sec. 57-1. Definitions.
    Gun or Firearm: Any rifle, shotgun, revolver, pistol, air gun, air rifle or any similar mechanism by whatever name known which is designed to expel a projectile through a gun barrel by the action of any explosive, gas, compressed air, spring or elastic.

Next is the definition of "Urban Area" (important later)
    Urban area: That part of the County within the following boundaries: Beginning at a point where the Maryland/District of Columbia boundary line in the County intersects with the Maryland/Virginia boundary line on the southwest side of the Potomac River; running then northwest along the Maryland/Virginia boundary line to the emptying of Watts Branch into the Potomac River; then northwest along the northeast side of the Potomac River to the emptying of Seneca Creek into the Potomac River; then north along Seneca Creek to Route 112 (Seneca Road); then east along Route 112 to Route 28 (Darnestown Road); then northwest along Route 28 to Route 118 (Darnestown-Germantown Road); then north along Route 118 to Route 117 (Clopper Road); then northwest along Route 117 to Little Seneca Creek; then northeast along Little Seneca Creek to Black Hill Regional Park; then along the eastern boundary of Black Hill Regional Park to the Park's southernmost intersection with I-270; then northwest along I-270 to Little Seneca Creek; then north along Little Seneca Creek to West Old Baltimore Road; then east along West Old Baltimore Road to Route 355 (Frederick Road); then south along Route 355 to Brink Road; then southeast on Brink Road to the Town of Laytonsville; then along the northern boundary of the Town of Laytonsville to Route 420 (Sundown Road); then east along Route 420 to Route 650 (Damascus Road); then southeast along Route 650 to Route 97 (Georgia Avenue); then south along Route 97 to Brighton Dam Road; then northeast along Brighton Dam Road to Route 650 (New Hampshire Avenue); then south along Route 650 to Route 108; then east along Route 108 to the Potomac Electric Power Company transmission line property; then southeast along the east side of the Potomac Electric Power Company right-of-way to Route 198; then east along Route 198 to the Prince George's County/Montgomery County boundary line; then southwest along the Montgomery County/Prince George's County boundary line to the Montgomery County/District of Columbia boundary line; then along the Montgomery County/District of Columbia boundary line to the beginning point.

And discharge in "urban area":
    Sec. 57-4. Discharge of guns in the urban area.

(a) Prohibition. Except as provided in subsection (b), a person, other than a peace officer or employee of the Maryland Department of Natural Resources performing official duties, must not discharge a gun within the urban area.

(b) Exceptions. Except as provided in Sections 57-7 (K-Rom -access to guns by minors) and 57-11 (K-Rom - the "places of public assembly" law) , a person may discharge a gun:

(1) on any indoor or outdoor target, trap, skeet, or shooting range that the Firearms Safety Committee has inspected and approved in writing;

(2) in a private basement or cellar target range;

(3) when necessary to protect life or property;

(4) to kill a dangerous animal;

(5) for discharge of blank cartridges in musical and theatrical performances, parades, or sporting events;

(6) for salutes by firing squads at military funerals;

(7) if approved by the Chief of Police, under a deer damage control permit issued by the Maryland Department of Natural Resources;

(8) for the purpose of deer hunting on private property that is at least 50 acres in size if: (continues)

Discharge outside the "Urban Area":

Sec. 57-5. Discharge of guns outside the urban area.

(a) Prohibition. Except as provided in subsection (c)(1) through (c)(6), outside the urban area, a person, other than a peace officer or employee of the Maryland Department of Natural Resources performing official duties, must not:

(1) discharge a gun:

(A) onto, across, or within 50 yards of a public road;

(B) onto or across property located within 50 yards of a public road;

(C) into or within the safety zone (150 yards of a building or camp designed for human occupancy) without the owner or occupant's written consent; or

(C) from, onto, or across public or private property without the owner or occupant's written consent;

(2) discharge a full metal jacketed bullet of any caliber from a gun; or

(3) except as provided in subsection (b), discharge any fixed ammunition of a caliber higher than .25 caliber from a rifle or pistol.

(b) Exception - High Caliber Ammunition. A person may discharge fixed ammunition of a caliber higher than .25 from a rifle or pistol at:

(A) legal game or varmints on the ground; or

(B) a target on or near the ground that will not deflect a bullet.

(c) Other Exceptions. Except as provided in Sections 57-7 and 57-11, a person may discharge a gun:

(1) on any indoor or outdoor target, trap, skeet, or shooting range that the Firearm Safety Committee has inspected and approved in writing;

(2) in a private basement or cellar target range;

(3) when necessary to protect life or property;

(4) to kill a dangerous animal;

(5) for discharge of blank cartridges in musical and theatrical performances, parades, or sporting events;

(6) for salutes by firing squads at military funerals; or

(7) under a deer damage control permit issued by the Maryland Department of Natural Resources.

The convoluted definitions of handgun, rifle, and shotgun seem to make it so that air-powered guns may not fall under the MoCO transport law and the MoCO "place of public assembly safety zone" gun ban, but that is way outside my lane as far as interpreting it goes.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    I grew up in PG county shooting air guns in my backyard every single day. Never had any problems whatsoever(other than accidentally shooting out a neighbor's car window which I payed for).

KevinB

Dec 4, 2008
    Germantown

john.worley

Jul 4, 2012
    Prince George's County?

Can anyone help me find the PG county laws online.

I haven't been able to find them.

Thanks in advance.:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom